51668Re: penalties not served player status

  • forever1940
    Nov 3, 2007
      Rule 36.1 shows whose fault it is:

      <<
      If a player leaves the penalty bench before the time has expired,
      the Penalty Timekeeper must note the time and notify the Referees at
      his first opportunity.

      It is the responsibility of the Penalty Timekeeper to ensure that
      penalized players return to the penalty box before the puck is dropped
      for the start of a new period. In the event that a player should not
      be in the box, the Penalty Timekeeper should notify the Referees and
      prevent the game from resuming until the player is there.

      A goal can be disallowed if an "ineligible player" is on the ice,
      however that definition applies only to players not on the official
      roster submitted before the game.

      Based on this, it would appear that the goal would be allowed.

      --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "goaliedave" <goaliedave@...> wrote:

      > Question for the rules junkies:
      >
      > Last night in Ottawa there was a screwup by the refs and penalty
      box crew to start the 3rd. Richardson and the Atlanta guy fought
      with less than a minute left in the second, got 5 minutes each, and
      then everyone forgot about it when the 3rd started. They went out and
      took a regular shift. At about the 4 and a half minute mark the ref
      stops the game, skates to each bench and says um hi could we have Mr.
      Richardson and his buddy in the box, sorry we forgot they shouldn't
      be playing. Then 15 seconds later their 5 minutes is up and at the
      whistle they skate to the bench. I was wondering what the heck was
      going on, and nothing was announced or reported, but that must have
      been it. Richardson has just played the shift before the whistle.

      > I wonder what would have happened if Richardson or the Atlanta guy
      had scored. Would it have counted?