51564Re: Vintage North Stars-Scouts

  • Douglas Holste
    Sep 5, 2007
      Craig,

      Yes I think it is one of great faux paus of modern stadium building
      is the Richfield Coliseum. As early as the first year of the
      Crusader's time in Richfield people where referring it was a mistake
      building so far away from the fan base, Cleveland. It was kind of a
      compromise, the thinking being Arkon and Canton natives would come
      out to games, but I don't think that ever materialized.

      The Crusader's two seasons at Richfield were plagued by
      underachievement. The team was good in terms of prior NHL experience
      (Al McDoughan should have been a WHA superstar) and they had some
      excellent prospects from the juniors but they just didn't jell to
      into the team it should have been. Maybe it was
      Age/Injuries/defections or all of the above.

      Too bad the Barons/Seals were finally making some headway from the
      Seal/Findley years, but it wasn't enough. I think a winning team or
      at least a playoff berth would have gone a long way to help the
      franchise. But they were in a tough division at that time with
      Boston, Buffalo, and Toronto. Look at how successful the NBA
      Cleveland Calvaliers were at the same time, they playoff runs that
      filled the Coliseum.

      Around 1993 I drove by the general vacinity of the Coliseum (only saw
      the entrance to the parking lot) but I was amazed at how even after
      20 years there was not a lot civilization near it. Still alot of
      corn fields at that time.

      Doug

      --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "Craig" <bflynn3@...> wrote:

      > Doug,
      >
      > I did watch that as well.
      >
      > It's funny I always though Cleveland should have worked as a major
      league level hockey town. The AHL Barons and WHA Crusaders did well
      when they played downtown but it seemed like "the wheels came off"
      when the Crusaders moved out to the massive Richfield Coliseum. Their
      crowds dropped then and they still had a solid team. The NHL Barons
      while not being as bad as many teams where not great and I have often
      thought people simply were not prepared to make the drive to see
      either a middle of the road team (Crusaders) or a bad team (Barons.)
      Perhaps it would have been different if the Coliseum was built where
      the new modern rink is, right by Jacobs Field downtown.

      > Craig

      Cleveland