51027Re: [hockhist] Re: Dusting off an old Rangers topic

  • Swanrvr80@aol.com
    Feb 3, 2007
      Matt,

      I doubt if Francis hired people hoping that they wouldn't be as successful
      as he was because he loved the Rangers and was very competitive. He wouldn't
      have been jealous if they won under another coach. Still, his choices never
      did work out. Eskenazi seems to imply that Francis didn't want to leave as
      coach yet the job, with the GM responsibilities, was too much for one person.
      Maybe NY should've gotten a GM instead of a new coach.

      Jay

      In a message dated 2/2/2007 4:27:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      mhdibiase@... writes:

      I forget if I mentioned this in my previous reports of my Gerry
      Eskenazi interview, but Eskenazi told me that Emile Francis had a
      penchant for hiring coaches who had the potential of either failing
      short of his expectations or the players' expectations-short of his
      thus justify Francis' return to the coaching box.

      The Popein firing is, in my mind, corroboration of what Eskenazi told
      me.

      Matt