5033860s goalies (was Re: 1964 Stanley Cup game 6 Toronto Detroit on TV)

  • Morey Holzman
    Aug 10, 2006
      I've taped some of the old games and have similar observations about
      the goalies, and then I started rewatching the 74 series with Bernie
      Parent.

      As a kid, I remember Parent standing on his head. Today, those
      saves are at best ordinary, and a couple of the goals are a tad
      cheesy. What has changed?

      For starters, defnesive play has improved. Defensemen used to
      screen their goalies like crazy. Guy Lapointe mastered and others
      copied the art of playing angles so that the shooter would have a
      smaller net to shoot at.

      Secondly, goalies were all stand-up or floppers. On a stand-up
      goalie shoot it low, on floppers shoot it high. With the advent of
      the butterfly approach, and then the hybrid approach of butterfly
      and stand-up and angles, the game's true snipers just couldn't pick
      a spot. The Quebec League goalies have the reputation for this,
      although J.S. Giguere is a stand-up guy in the traditional sense. I
      remember a story about Phil Esposito in the 70s. Espo was talking
      to a reporter on the ice and to show off, he took a slap shot from
      center ice. The puck curved and went through a six-inch slot
      between the doors where the Zamboni entered, which were open.
      That's markmanship. But if "picking your spots" is no longer an
      option for the sniper, you need a new skill set to think AND shoot
      at the same time.

      Thirdly, when I was a kid and attended hockey school as a goalie in
      1976 as a 12-year-old, kids' goalie pads weighed about 30 pounds,
      and that was dry. NHL pads, with sweat on them, must have been
      closer to 45. Since the new materials were introduced in the late
      80s, early 90s, the weight has dropped to about 15 pounds. Carrying
      less weight means greater manouverability. Add to the increase in
      skill and what would be a bad goal by Johnny Bower in the six-team
      NHL is a one-way ticket to Kentucky or some ECHL town in the
      expanded 30-team NHL.

      Morey
      > The goaltending was terrible. I know these 2 were among the very
      best, but if
      > any part of the game is better today it is clearly the goalies.
      The
      > announcers remarked several times about remarkable saves which
      were routine by today's
      > standards. Sawchuck was his diving best, sprawling in the opening
      10 seconds
      > to rob Allan Stanley. Both goalies spent all game back on the goal
      line
      > fighting to get a body part in front of the puck. Rebound control
      was terrible.>>>>

      > I've never played goal and defer to your expertise. The Howe goal
      against
      > Bower was awful indeed. But Bower backstopped the Leafs to 3
      consecutive Cups
      > when in his late 30s and this one play and game were not
      representative of his
      > skill level. Rather interestingly, he did not even become the
      Leafs regular
      > neminder till he was in his mid-30s. There were basically just 6
      goalie jobs back
      > then in the NHL. The guys who made it at all had to be very, very
      good in
      > general.
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic