46572Re: [hockhist] Re: return of Whitby Dunlops

  • Joep
    Oct 2, 2004
      Joe van Volsen played in Amsterdam for part of the 1999/2000, playing the
      first 13 matches before suddenly leaving for North America. According to
      sources in Amsterdam this had to do with the fact that Joe caused a car
      accident and left the scene without stopping. Two days later he was on a
      plane home to finish the season with the Tupelo T-Rex of the WPHL and South
      Carolina Stingrays of the ECHL. Van Volsen is a dutch passport holder, a so
      called Dutch Canadian.

      Interesting to see his name pop up. Through the internet I followed the
      exploits of another senior team last season, the Aylmer Blues, featuring two
      players who played with Nijmegen Tigers the season before, Jason Clarke and
      Bob Vandersluis. The latter is also a Dutch Canadian. They made it through
      to the Allan Cup tournament, but did not manage to win the title. It went to
      Garaga de St. George, a team I saw play in Quebec City earlier in the year.
      There is so much good hockey in Canada apart from the NHL.

      In a related note. Today it was announced that if the NHL lockout is still
      in place January 1, a NHL-player will actually turn up to play in our little
      league here in the Netherlands. The Amsterdam Bulldogs apparently have
      reached an agreement with Chicago Blackhawk Bryan Berard. Now that might
      give the sport a boost in this country. With trips planned to Sweden,
      Finland and the Czech Republik in coming months, I am starting to enjoy the
      NHL-lockout :-)

      Kind regards from the Netherlands,

      Joep Meijsen
      www.ijshockey.com