41681Re: Question to Authors

  • tangotiger
    Nov 4, 2003
      --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "tangotiger" <tmasc@y...> wrote:
      > --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, Dr John Serrati
      > wrote:
      > > It lasts for 75 years, without exception.
      > The exception is that this applies only to USA/Canada, right?
      > Isn't there some issue with the EU where just about every country
      > its own rules on copyrights, along with the duration? And in
      > drafting their constitution, all of the countries will adopt a
      > EU definition of copyright and duration? It's an interesting story
      > from what I remember. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I
      > enlighten the group?
      > Thanks, Tom

      I thought that this article on this issue to be rather interesting

      I'll also quote a specific portion:

      "France uniquely extends the EU period with provision for the annees
      de guerre: extra time for the First World War (considered to have
      lasted from 1914 to 1919) and the Second World War (1939 to 1948).
      The Matisse estate, for example, is protected for the artist's life +
      the EU 70 years + five years for WW I + nine years for WW II. The
      extension was reaffirmed by French courts in two decisions during
      November 2001 and is likely to be challenged by the European
      Commission. France also adds a further thirty years for an author
      who "died for France"."

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic