41669Re: Question to Authors

  • Richard Krueger
    Nov 3 3:21 PM
      --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, Lloyd Davis <lloyddavis@s...> wrote:
      > > You can PHOTOCOPY up to 10% (or 20%?) or a single
      > > chapter, whichever is more, for your own use. But you cannot
      > > and distribute 10% of another's work without having to pay
      > > compensation.
      > This may be the case in the United States. Not so in Canada.
      > Here, we have a system whereby anyone who wishes to photocopy and
      distribute copyright material may do so, as long as they pay for a
      licence from a clearing house called Access Copyright.
      > Public libraries, government agencies, and colleges and
      universities pay a blanket fee. Less frequent users are expected to
      pay per use for copying a specific work.

      I work in a university library in Canada, and we use the CANCOPY
      agreement. I guess I'm so used to it I sometimes forget it only
      applies to us! Here's a quote from our copyright policy:

      "Fair Dealing

      "Under Canada's Copyright Act, it is illegal to copy most published
      materials without permission. Permission is not required for copying
      that is done as "fair dealing" for the purposes of research or
      private study. However, it is not clear what is meant by "fair
      dealing," and clarification of the law is now being sought by both
      rights holders and users of copyright material. For the university
      community's interpretation of fair dealing, please consult with
      university administration."

      "No copying shall exceed 10% of a published work or the following,
      whichever is greater:
      An entire chapter which is 20% or less of a book.
      An entire single short story, play, poem, essay or article from a
      book or periodical issue containing other works.
      An entire single item of print music from a book or periodical issue
      containing other kinds of works.
      An entire entry from an encyclopedia, dictionary, annotated
      bibliography or similar reference work.
      An entire reproduction of an artistic work from a book or periodical
      issue containing other works."

      Now, this deals only with COPYING material, not quoting material.

      > Trade publishing is a different animal from academic publishing,
      where it is understood that papers and studies are published as part
      of an ongoing conversation, or an exchange of ideas, about a given
      subject matter. Until they sign with a trade publisher, or the trade
      side of a scholarly press, academics tend not to concern themselves
      with the dollar value of their work.

      Yes, this is the world I live in. I tend to forget that some people
      out there actually expect to make MONEY from their publications! Ha
      ha ha! What silliness.

      Your comment on sports publications is quite appropriate, especially
      regarding the quality of the original sources. Many sports writers
      are in the business because they like sports, not because they can
      write and research articles well. Unless I was using a source for
      official statistics, I wouldn't trust any newspaper article enough to
      use it as an original source. Some sports books are a different
      story, like Morey's book, which has a certain degree of academic
      worth, or perhaps Ken Dryden's books. But a great many are simply
      bad, written from a fan's point of view with little or no attempt at
      objectivity or serious research value.

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic