41654Re: Question to Authors

  • Richard Krueger
    Nov 2, 2003
      --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, Lloyd Davis <lloyddavis@s...> wrote:
      > John Serrati wrote:
      >
      > "To the best of my knowledge, Canadian & American law states that
      you may
      > quote up to 10 percent of another person's work without having to
      seek
      > permission from them or their publisher."
      >
      > That's a widespread misconception.

      Yes, it is. You can PHOTOCOPY up to 10% (or 20%?) or a single
      chapter, whichever is more, for your own use. But you cannot reprint
      and distribute 10% of another's work without having to pay monetary
      compensation. You can, however, use short quotations until the
      proverbial cows come home and not need permission or pay royalties.
      As long as you cite your source, you're fine.

      Richard.
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic