38047RE: [hockhist] Re: Canadian Billionaire Confirms Interest in Ottawa Senators

    Feb 1, 2003
      Yep. Allen is sort of like his buddy Gates in his lack of interest in the
      NHL. The only difference is he wouldn't mind having a team as a TENENT as
      you say top collect rent from.

      Now you also bring up a good point about Ottawa...the suburban arena. It is
      generally a BAD move unless the population demographics REALLY suit it. I
      remember the basket case that Richfield always was for the Cleveland market!
      Now if you are talking about say Auburn Hills in Detroit, there is some
      sense, much of the best demographic segment for sports in that area had went
      north of the city so centering a building near an interstate in that area
      made sense! But usually these things have the SAME troubles you talk about.

      As for why does the NHL deal with people like Bryden and co....I think
      seomtimes because as I've said and you've just hinted, a lot of savy
      business people like Gates and Allen see it for what it is, a league with a
      limited Amercian market who's economics are plain old silly! I think they at
      times get desparate! They also STILL have all too much old crony
      mentality...somebody knows a guy so...Finally, hey, this is the league that
      basically accepted John Spano, nearly took Mike Largue, two known confidence
      men as owners. Thier investigative and judgement capacities are beyond
      question, they are just plain old bad! but then again doesn't that fit along
      with most of their other business instincts?