19623Re: [hockhist] Re: GOSSIP

  • Laurie Sefton
    Jan 4, 2001
      Well, besides the alcohol (which was a problem), when Link Gaetz
      scraped his head all over the off-ramp (he was riding shotgun in a
      jeep-style car when it flipped), he took a serious amount of brain
      damage. The Sharks didn't let on a the time, but he was in a coma for
      about a week afterward. His reflexes didn't recovered. He played for
      the SF Spiders for awhile, and while he wasn't drinking then (but
      was putting down an amazing number of frozen malt cups--I watched him
      getting fans to get them to him during one game), you could tell that
      he'd taken some serious damage to his nervous system.

      Laurie

      >Gaetz was in a pretty serious car accident, but I'm pretty sure it was
      >alcohol abuse that prevented him from continuing his NHL career. He had a
      >pretty violent incident in the minors where he threw, I belive, a portable
      >skate sharpener at the trainer (or somebody like that). In my mind Link's
      >another example of wasted talent, similar to Fogarty.
      >
      >matt
      >
      >At 11:21 PM 1/4/01 -0000, you wrote:
      >>What was the deal with Link Gaetz? I remember him being a fan
      >>favorite one year in San Jose, and before you know it, he disappears
      >>off the face of the earth! I heard something about a car accident,
      >>but wasn't sure if it was true or not. Anyways, is ol' Linker still
      >>playing somewhere?
      >>

      >>--- In hockhist@egroups.com, "William Underwood" <wausport@b...>
      >>wrote:
      >>> Those two together--a SCARY thought!
      >>>

      >>This has been a Hockey History List mailing
      >>The Official mailing list of the Hockey Research Association (HRA)
      >><A HREF=http://www.hockeyresearch.com/>Our Homepage</A>
      >>To unsubscribe from this mail list, send a blank message
      >>to hockhist-unsubscribe@onelist.com
      >>

      >This has been a Hockey History List mailing
      >The Official mailing list of the Hockey Research Association (HRA)
      ><A HREF=http://www.hockeyresearch.com/>Our Homepage</A>
      >To unsubscribe from this mail list, send a blank message
      >to hockhist-unsubscribe@onelist.com
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic