Spezza sent back to junior

  • stars_flyers
    Message 1 of 4380 , Oct 2, 2001
      Centre Jason Spezza, the second overall selection
      in this year's NHL draft by the Ottawa Senators, was
      sent back to the OHL's Windsor Spitfires on
      Tuesday.<br><br>Ottawa acquired the No. 2 selection on draft day when it
      sent disgruntled forward Alexei Yashin to the New York
      Islanders. The Senators also picked up defenceman Zdeno
      Chara and right-winger Bill Muckalt in the deal.
      Spezza, 18, appeared in all eight of Ottawa's pre-season
      games. He registered one goal and one assist, both
      against the Toronto Maple Leafs.<br><br>He showed flashes
      of brilliance in camp, but struggled to find
      consistency. He certainly didn't stand out as much as the No.
      1 pick, Ilya Kovalchuk, did with the Atlanta
      Thrashers.<br><br>Senators general manager Marshall Johnston had said there
      were differences of opinion within the organization on
      whether to keep Spezza. But the team has had some
      experience with 18-year-olds.<br><br>Alexandre Daigle had a
      strong rookie season in 1993-94, but failed to live up
      to those expectations in future seasons. He's out of
      the game now. In 1997, Marian Hossa was sent to the
      WHL's Portland Winter Hawks after playing just seven
      NHL games, and he's now one of the Senators' best
      players.<br><br>"Young players, in my view, will learn more by being
      successful and by enjoying success than they will be by
      trying to learn through adversity," Johnston told the
      Ottawa Citizen on Monday.<br><br>Last season, Spezza had
      43 goals and 73 assists in 56 games with Windsor and
      the Mississauga IceDogs. <br><br>Windsor's next game
      is Thursday at home versus Kingston.<br><br>The
      Senators open their season in Toronto on Wednesday.
    • ansonssmak
      Message 4380 of 4380 , Nov 1, 2006
        --- In hockeyroom@yahoogroups.com, CZinTX wrote:

        > I was invited to this club and would just like to thank the one who
        did the inviting. This club looks like it rocks. Lets Go Stars!!!!

        Hello, my name is Anson, I am from Hong Kong.
        Just want to say hi to you all.
        My favourite team is the Edmonton Oilers. I also like Winnipeg Jets,
        but... they are gone already