Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [hockeydisk] this year's disk

Expand Messages
  • D. Atkinson
    ... There are multiple sources where we can get GP, G, A, PTS, +/-, etc. data. I just want to make sure that we can get the other things that we really need,
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 19, 2001
    • 0 Attachment
      Derrick Underwood wrote:

      > I have been doing some learning since the NHL changed their site, and
      > haven't made enough progress to be of value with the WebObject structures.
      > But... I was searching around and found there is a way of getting the data
      > we need from the site - it will just take more time. To harvest summary
      > stats like Name, team, gp, g, a, pts, +/-, pim, shifts, shots, shoot%, Ave
      > Ice Time, hits, Give aways and take aways, you can use the following url...
      >

      There are multiple sources where we can get GP, G, A, PTS, +/-, etc. data.
      I just want to make sure that we can get the other things that we really need,
      like faceoffs, hits, ice time, etc. I took a close look at the site last night,
      and it
      appears we can get what we need, if done in pieces...by a team, as you suggest.
      The cut and paste from their tables doesn't work well, and we'll have to parse
      all the data out that we need. Anyway, it doesn't look like a total disaster,
      but
      just a bit more work to get the stuff. Jeff Kraus is on this list, so he will
      respond
      with what he thinks we can get from the Plus package.

      Dave
    • D. Atkinson
      I apologize to everyone on the list...I ve been out of town most of the last 2 months, and I m way behind on emails. I hope to get caught up in the next 2
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 19, 2003
      • 0 Attachment
        I apologize to everyone on the list...I've been out of town most of the
        last 2 months, and I'm way behind on emails. I hope to get caught up
        in the next 2 weeks.
        I plan on sending out an email shortly on where I stand on the disk for
        this year. I was not really happy with last year's disk, mainly because the
        reviews were so late that I didn't get enough time to test thoroughly.
        The goalie PIM problem is directly related to me not having enough
        testing time to notice the problem. One of my goals for this year is
        to have at least 4 weeks to test. Also, the reviews were a problem in
        that there were so few done early on that the disk was in jeopardy
        until a bunch of guys stepped up late. We can't have that issue again
        this year....if we don't have enough reviewers, we need to know that
        early on, and find another way to approach the disk. Also, we can
        definitely use some help on compiling information. It sometimes got
        tough to get volunteers for certain things that needed to be done. I
        think we'll line up these jobs early this year.
        We'll start discussing this in much more detail in the coming weeks.
        I think getting an earlier start this year would be a good idea.

        Dave
      • paul canosa
        Just to add my 2 yen to the discussion. I think the NHL went a bit too PC this offseason with the unfortunate death of that little girl in columbus and the
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 19, 2003
        • 0 Attachment
          Just to add my 2 yen to the discussion. I think the
          NHL went a bit too PC this offseason with the
          unfortunate death of that little girl in columbus and
          the head injuries. So the netting went up, and the
          removal of such things as hits was proscribed by a
          league office and officer I personally don't like.

          Although I am sure that the league office will now be
          "re-watching" the old games to count secondary stats,
          I do know that each team was keeping track of such
          things as they went along. So perhaps a database
          comparison is in order once they compile the initial
          crunch to see if there is any discrepancy. Then again
          this league office is run by Bettman.

          MLB uses Elias Stats... that decision was made before
          Selig. go figure.... Then again this is the same
          guy who lets the all star game end in a tie, then
          proposes the same games results decide home field
          advantage. Perhaps Bettman is Selig's clone eh ?

          I only have 2 additional points to make. The first is
          that my hope was to make this email so obviously
          sarcastic there would be no confusion possible. :) The
          second is to once again thank the disk review team for
          their labors !

          take it easy everyone and (GO RAIDERS !)
          paul canosa

          __________________________________________________
          Do you Yahoo!?
          Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • Bruce Carriker
          Dave, I ll do faceoffs again, naturally. And this year I ve seen enough games in person that I m very comfortable that I can accurately rate the Blues. So
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 27, 2003
          • 0 Attachment
            Dave,

            I'll do faceoffs again, naturally. And this year I've
            seen enough games in person that I'm very comfortable
            that I can accurately rate the Blues. So put me down
            for those two things.


            Bruce


            --- "D. Atkinson" <bigdog@...> wrote:
            > I apologize to everyone on the list...I've been out
            > of town most of the
            > last 2 months, and I'm way behind on emails. I hope
            > to get caught up
            > in the next 2 weeks.
            > I plan on sending out an email shortly on where I
            > stand on the disk for
            > this year. I was not really happy with last year's
            > disk, mainly because the
            > reviews were so late that I didn't get enough time
            > to test thoroughly.
            > The goalie PIM problem is directly related to me not
            > having enough
            > testing time to notice the problem. One of my goals
            > for this year is
            > to have at least 4 weeks to test. Also, the reviews
            > were a problem in
            > that there were so few done early on that the disk
            > was in jeopardy
            > until a bunch of guys stepped up late. We can't have
            > that issue again
            > this year....if we don't have enough reviewers, we
            > need to know that
            > early on, and find another way to approach the disk.
            > Also, we can
            > definitely use some help on compiling information.
            > It sometimes got
            > tough to get volunteers for certain things that
            > needed to be done. I
            > think we'll line up these jobs early this year.
            > We'll start discussing this in much more detail in
            > the coming weeks.
            > I think getting an earlier start this year would be
            > a good idea.
            >
            > Dave
            >
            >
            >
            >
            > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            >
            >


            __________________________________________________
            Do you Yahoo!?
            Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • D. Atkinson
            ... Great! That helps....actually I was counting on you doing them again. Dave
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 27, 2003
            • 0 Attachment
              Bruce Carriker wrote:

              > Dave,
              >
              > I'll do faceoffs again, naturally. And this year I've
              > seen enough games in person that I'm very comfortable
              > that I can accurately rate the Blues. So put me down
              > for those two things.

              Great! That helps....actually I was counting on you doing them
              again.

              Dave
            • Herb Garbutt
              Hey Dave, Scouting report is going very well and I should be able to get it to everyone a lot quicker this year. Hockey annuals are done, 1/3 of the way
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 27, 2003
              • 0 Attachment
                Hey Dave,
                Scouting report is going very well and I should be able to get it to everyone a lot quicker this year. Hockey annuals are done, 1/3 of the way through the Fantasy Sports Services website and all of Oct, Nov and Dec Hockey News finished.

                One thing we could have done for shortly after the regular season ends is the position list. I'd volunteer but if want to keep up with the scouting report, I'm going to have to devote my time there.

                Hopefully getting the scouting report out earlier will help with ratings. Our league is going to be aiming for 1,800 ratings this year, the bulk of them coming from myself and another guy in our league who are going to take a run at as many teams as possible.

                I sent out a call earlier to get an idea of what people were going to be willing to rate and got responses from 12 people for 47 teams. I think it might be worth doing again as we get closer to identify any gaps or teams that we should concentrate on.

                Herb

                "D. Atkinson" wrote:

                 Bruce Carriker wrote:

                > Dave,
                >
                > I'll do faceoffs again, naturally.  And this year I've
                > seen enough games in person that I'm very comfortable
                > that I can accurately rate the Blues.  So put me down
                > for those two things.

                Great! That helps....actually I was counting on you doing them
                again.

                      Dave
                 


                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

              • D. Atkinson
                ... One thing I will need from people in the group again this year (Luc Labelle, Herb, and Brett did it last year, if I remember correctly) is a Hockey News
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 27, 2003
                • 0 Attachment
                  Herb Garbutt wrote:

                  > One thing we could have done for shortly after the regular season ends is the position list. I'd volunteer but if want
                  > to keep up with the scouting report, I'm going to have to devote my time there.

                  One thing I will need from people in the group again this year (Luc Labelle, Herb, and
                  Brett did it last year, if I remember correctly) is a Hockey News position listing. I will
                  again personally parse out Peck's lineups as one source, but we will want the Hockey
                  News lists again. Anyone care to get an early start one these? If I have these in by
                  the season's end, I can get positions out in a few days.

                  Dave
                • photosbyalex
                  I would love to volunteer my help.... In addition to the Hockey News I have access to three main sources I can check for positions. 1. Team Websites and
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 27, 2003
                  • 0 Attachment
                    I would love to volunteer my help....

                    In addition to the Hockey News I have access to three main sources I can check for positions.
                    1. Team Websites and NHLPA.com
                    ---These sites list the primary position for a player and sometimes alternates.
                    2. The Toronto Sun
                    ---I read the Toronto Sun daily. The day the Leafs play someone on the sports team writes an article and they produce a
                    "probable line combinations".
                    3. Box Scores
                    ---I could also go through box scores and make lists of players that assisted on a goal. That should help generate line
                    combinations and potentials for line combinations. If someone assisted on a goal... they should be able to play on the same
                    line.

                    Please contact me if the disk staff would like my assistance.

                    Alex

                    "D. Atkinson" wrote:

                    > Herb Garbutt wrote:
                    >
                    > > One thing we could have done for shortly after the regular season ends is the position list. I'd volunteer but if want
                    > > to keep up with the scouting report, I'm going to have to devote my time there.
                    >
                    > One thing I will need from people in the group again this year (Luc Labelle, Herb, and
                    > Brett did it last year, if I remember correctly) is a Hockey News position listing. I will
                    > again personally parse out Peck's lineups as one source, but we will want the Hockey
                    > News lists again. Anyone care to get an early start one these? If I have these in by
                    > the season's end, I can get positions out in a few days.
                    >
                    > Dave
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                  • D. Atkinson
                    I m going to need some help doing a few tasks with this year s disk. Herb and the others have the review committees rolling, so that part is covered. The
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 2, 2008
                    • 0 Attachment
                      I'm going to need some help doing a few tasks with this year's disk.
                      Herb and the others have the review committees rolling, so that part is
                      covered. The season ends Sunday, so the stats will be final by Monday,
                      and I'll be working those into disk format. The main task that I need
                      help with is extracting the positions from the Hockey News listings. I
                      have all the position listings in pdf files from the Hockey News site,
                      21 files worth. One can either hand extract them, or open them in
                      Acrobat and cut/paste the various lines. I have started that process,
                      and have already extracted Anaheim by the cut/paste method into an excel
                      spreadsheet. If anyone has some free time to help with this task, let me
                      know and I will send you the pdf files and give you a list of teams to
                      extract. I can do the processing, so I just need a cut/paste from each
                      file directly into excel. I can send Anaheim as an example...keeping
                      them all in the same format will help me with processing. So, drop me an
                      email if you have time to help with this task.

                      Dave
                    • D. Atkinson
                      I plan on releasing the disk next Sunday, October 26, if there are no glitches in finishing the final polishing items. Thanks for your patience. D
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 19, 2008
                      • 0 Attachment
                        I plan on releasing the disk next Sunday, October 26, if there are no
                        glitches in finishing the final polishing items. Thanks for your patience.

                        D
                      • Dave Atkinson
                        Testing has started!!!! A bit slow this year due time committments to other things that Herb and I had, but we slogged through the building phase, and are now
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 19, 2010
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Testing has started!!!! A bit slow this year due time committments to other things that Herb and I had, but we slogged through the building phase, and are now in testing phase. If things go well, things can be done in 2 weeks. I'm still shooting to get this out before the NHL opener, but won't sacrifice quality for time. I'll let you guys know how it's going.

                                      d
                        • Bill Corfield
                          Dave- Hopefully the two weeks since your last update have been productive ones. How are things looking? Bill Corfield ... From: Dave Atkinson
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 2, 2010
                          • 0 Attachment
                            Dave-
                             
                             Hopefully the two weeks since your last update have been productive ones. 

                             How are things looking?

                            Bill Corfield


                            -----Original Message-----
                            From: Dave Atkinson <boomhound@...>
                            To: hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com
                            Sent: Sun, Sep 19, 2010 10:02 pm
                            Subject: [hockeydisk] this year's disk

                             
                            Testing has started!!!! A bit slow this year due time committments to other things that Herb and I had, but we slogged through the building phase, and are now in testing phase. If things go well, things can be done in 2 weeks. I'm still shooting to get this out before the NHL opener, but won't sacrifice quality for time. I'll let you guys know how it's going.

                                        d
                          • D. Atkinson
                            We re getting there....about 70% through the testing/tweaking. Working on the problem teams now. Bill Corfield wrote:   Dave -    Hopefully the two weeks
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 3, 2010
                            • 0 Attachment
                              We're getting there....about 70% through the testing/tweaking. Working on the problem teams now.

                              Bill Corfield wrote:
                               

                              Dave-

                               
                               Hopefully the two weeks since your last update have been productive ones. 

                               How are things looking?

                              Bill Corfield


                              -----Original Message-----
                              From: Dave Atkinson <boomhound@...>
                              To: hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com
                              Sent: Sun, Sep 19, 2010 10:02 pm
                              Subject: [hockeydisk] this year's disk

                               
                              Testing has started!!!! A bit slow this year due time committments to other things that Herb and I had, but we slogged through the building phase, and are now in testing phase. If things go well, things can be done in 2 weeks. I'm still shooting to get this out before the NHL opener, but won't sacrifice quality for time. I'll let you guys know how it's going.

                                          d

                            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.