this year's disk

    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 18, 2001
      I was thinking about getting an early start on this year's disk.
      However, we've run into a problem. NHL.com has switched its stats
      database system from Lotus Domino to an Apple based system.
      Brett Hall has informed me that he has no idea how to access all
      the information anymore due to this switch. Therefore, I am putting
      out a plea to everyone on this group to search for someone they know
      that can deal with Apple WebObjects. We may have a hard time doing
      a high quality disk without the stats.
      Please let me know if you find an Apple guru that can help.
      Thanks!!!

      Dave
    • Derrick Underwood
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 18, 2001
        I have been doing some learning since the NHL changed their site, and
        haven't made enough progress to be of value with the WebObject structures.
        But... I was searching around and found there is a way of getting the data
        we need from the site - it will just take more time. To harvest summary
        stats like Name, team, gp, g, a, pts, +/-, pim, shifts, shots, shoot%, Ave
        Ice Time, hits, Give aways and take aways, you can use the following url...

        http://www.nhl.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/nhlice.woa/wa/genPage?p_type=&stat_cat
        =summary&subseason=2&location=%2Fonthefly%2Fstats%2Flive.html&vind=30&sort=&
        season=20002001

        In order to move from page to page, you change the "vind" variable to the
        start point you are looking for.

        there are some much more specific pages that have all the information. All
        faceoff data, for example can be found at...

        http://www.nhl.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/nhlice.woa/wa/genPage?p_type=&stat_cat
        =faceOffs&subseason=2&location=%2Fonthefly%2Fstats%2Flive.html&vind=0&sort=&
        season=20002001

        Changing the vind variable gets you to the rest of the data.

        If no-one has enough experience with WebObjects or they have structured
        their data base so it is difficult for us to break in, a team of people
        could collect it all in not much time. This is how I did it last year, just
        before they shut down the old data base.

        And as an alternative, the NHL offers a scouting package called NHL Plus
        (http://www.nhl.com/nhlplus/index.html) for as cheap as $5.00 for a month.
        It appears to be the same source we used to have access to, and I would be
        more than willing to have a look at it in the final month of the season and
        see if I can do the same thing I did last year.

        Derrick

        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 18, 2001
          > If no-one has enough experience with WebObjects or they have structured
          > their data base so it is difficult for us to break in, a team of people
          > could collect it all in not much time. This is how I did it last year, just
          > before they shut down the old data base.

          Yes, a group effort would be the way to go . . . but piecing all the
          info together will be a pain in the arse.

          > And as an alternative, the NHL offers a scouting package called NHL Plus
          > (http://www.nhl.com/nhlplus/index.html) for as cheap as $5.00 for a month.
          > It appears to be the same source we used to have access to, and I would be
          > more than willing to have a look at it in the final month of the season and
          > see if I can do the same thing I did last year.

          I believe Jeff Krause subscribed to NHL Plus.

          Brett Hall

          St. Louis Mustangs (GHMHL)
          St. Louis Sting (WWAHL)
          St. Louis Ice Lords (NWHL)
          Tuktoyaktuk Nanuk (RMHL)
          Grand Cayman Conch (GUMP)
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 19, 2001
            Derrick Underwood wrote:

            > I have been doing some learning since the NHL changed their site, and
            > haven't made enough progress to be of value with the WebObject structures.
            > But... I was searching around and found there is a way of getting the data
            > we need from the site - it will just take more time. To harvest summary
            > stats like Name, team, gp, g, a, pts, +/-, pim, shifts, shots, shoot%, Ave
            > Ice Time, hits, Give aways and take aways, you can use the following url...

            There are multiple sources where we can get GP, G, A, PTS, +/-, etc. data.
            I just want to make sure that we can get the other things that we really need,
            like faceoffs, hits, ice time, etc. I took a close look at the site last night,
            and it
            appears we can get what we need, if done in pieces...by a team, as you suggest.
            The cut and paste from their tables doesn't work well, and we'll have to parse
            all the data out that we need. Anyway, it doesn't look like a total disaster,
            but
            just a bit more work to get the stuff. Jeff Kraus is on this list, so he will
            respond
            with what he thinks we can get from the Plus package.

            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 19, 2003
              I apologize to everyone on the list...I've been out of town most of the
              last 2 months, and I'm way behind on emails. I hope to get caught up
              in the next 2 weeks.
              I plan on sending out an email shortly on where I stand on the disk for
              this year. I was not really happy with last year's disk, mainly because the
              reviews were so late that I didn't get enough time to test thoroughly.
              The goalie PIM problem is directly related to me not having enough
              testing time to notice the problem. One of my goals for this year is
              to have at least 4 weeks to test. Also, the reviews were a problem in
              that there were so few done early on that the disk was in jeopardy
              until a bunch of guys stepped up late. We can't have that issue again
              this year....if we don't have enough reviewers, we need to know that
              early on, and find another way to approach the disk. Also, we can
              definitely use some help on compiling information. It sometimes got
              tough to get volunteers for certain things that needed to be done. I
              think we'll line up these jobs early this year.
              We'll start discussing this in much more detail in the coming weeks.
              I think getting an earlier start this year would be a good idea.

              Dave
            • paul canosa
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 19, 2003
                Just to add my 2 yen to the discussion. I think the
                NHL went a bit too PC this offseason with the
                unfortunate death of that little girl in columbus and
                the head injuries. So the netting went up, and the
                removal of such things as hits was proscribed by a
                league office and officer I personally don't like.

                Although I am sure that the league office will now be
                "re-watching" the old games to count secondary stats,
                I do know that each team was keeping track of such
                things as they went along. So perhaps a database
                comparison is in order once they compile the initial
                crunch to see if there is any discrepancy. Then again
                this league office is run by Bettman.

                MLB uses Elias Stats... that decision was made before
                Selig. go figure.... Then again this is the same
                guy who lets the all star game end in a tie, then
                proposes the same games results decide home field
                advantage. Perhaps Bettman is Selig's clone eh ?

                I only have 2 additional points to make. The first is
                that my hope was to make this email so obviously
                sarcastic there would be no confusion possible. :) The
                second is to once again thank the disk review team for
                their labors !

                take it easy everyone and (GO RAIDERS !)
                paul canosa

                http://mailplus.yahoo.com
              • Bruce Carriker
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 27, 2003
                  Dave,

                  I'll do faceoffs again, naturally. And this year I've
                  seen enough games in person that I'm very comfortable
                  that I can accurately rate the Blues. So put me down
                  for those two things.

                  Bruce

                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 27, 2003
                    Bruce Carriker wrote:

                    > Dave,
                    >
                    > I'll do faceoffs again, naturally. And this year I've
                    > seen enough games in person that I'm very comfortable
                    > that I can accurately rate the Blues. So put me down
                    > for those two things.

                    Great! That helps....actually I was counting on you doing them
                    again.

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 27, 2003
                      Hey Dave,
                      Scouting report is going very well and I should be able to get it to everyone a lot quicker this year. Hockey annuals are done, 1/3 of the way through the Fantasy Sports Services website and all of Oct, Nov and Dec Hockey News finished.

                      One thing we could have done for shortly after the regular season ends is the position list. I'd volunteer but if want to keep up with the scouting report, I'm going to have to devote my time there.

                      Hopefully getting the scouting report out earlier will help with ratings. Our league is going to be aiming for 1,800 ratings this year, the bulk of them coming from myself and another guy in our league who are going to take a run at as many teams as possible.

                      I sent out a call earlier to get an idea of what people were going to be willing to rate and got responses from 12 people for 47 teams. I think it might be worth doing again as we get closer to identify any gaps or teams that we should concentrate on.

                      Herb

                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 27, 2003
                        Herb Garbutt wrote:

                        > One thing we could have done for shortly after the regular season ends is the position list. I'd volunteer but if want
                        > to keep up with the scouting report, I'm going to have to devote my time there.

                        One thing I will need from people in the group again this year (Luc Labelle, Herb, and
                        Brett did it last year, if I remember correctly) is a Hockey News position listing. I will
                        again personally parse out Peck's lineups as one source, but we will want the Hockey
                        News lists again. Anyone care to get an early start one these? If I have these in by
                        the season's end, I can get positions out in a few days.

                        Dave
                      • photosbyalex
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 27, 2003
                          I would love to volunteer my help....

                          In addition to the Hockey News I have access to three main sources I can check for positions.
                          1. Team Websites and NHLPA.com
                          ---These sites list the primary position for a player and sometimes alternates.
                          2. The Toronto Sun
                          ---I read the Toronto Sun daily. The day the Leafs play someone on the sports team writes an article and they produce a
                          "probable line combinations".
                          3. Box Scores
                          ---I could also go through box scores and make lists of players that assisted on a goal. That should help generate line
                          combinations and potentials for line combinations. If someone assisted on a goal... they should be able to play on the same
                          line.

                          Please contact me if the disk staff would like my assistance.

                          Alex

                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 2, 2008
                            I'm going to need some help doing a few tasks with this year's disk.
                            Herb and the others have the review committees rolling, so that part is
                            covered. The season ends Sunday, so the stats will be final by Monday,
                            and I'll be working those into disk format. The main task that I need
                            help with is extracting the positions from the Hockey News listings. I
                            have all the position listings in pdf files from the Hockey News site,
                            21 files worth. One can either hand extract them, or open them in
                            Acrobat and cut/paste the various lines. I have started that process,
                            and have already extracted Anaheim by the cut/paste method into an excel
                            spreadsheet. If anyone has some free time to help with this task, let me
                            know and I will send you the pdf files and give you a list of teams to
                            extract. I can do the processing, so I just need a cut/paste from each
                            file directly into excel. I can send Anaheim as an example...keeping
                            them all in the same format will help me with processing. So, drop me an
                            email if you have time to help with this task.

                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 19, 2008
                              I plan on releasing the disk next Sunday, October 26, if there are no
                              glitches in finishing the final polishing items. Thanks for your patience.

                            • Dave Atkinson
                              Message 14 of 26 , Sep 19, 2010
                                Testing has started!!!! A bit slow this year due time committments to other things that Herb and I had, but we slogged through the building phase, and are now in testing phase. If things go well, things can be done in 2 weeks. I'm still shooting to get this out before the NHL opener, but won't sacrifice quality for time. I'll let you guys know how it's going.

                              • Bill Corfield
                                Message 15 of 26 , Oct 2, 2010
                                  Dave-

                                   Hopefully the two weeks since your last update have been productive ones.

                                   How are things looking?

                                  Bill Corfield

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Sep 6, 2015
                                      Ok, the testing and tweaking phase has just ended. The convergence
                                      metrics have been met, and actually are better than any of the past
                                      disks (just beat last year's). Simmed just over 2 million games to get
                                      it where it is.
                                      I need to migrate the split disk used for testing (where all multi-team
                                      players are split out onto their actual teams) into a combined disk
                                      (where multi-team players have one total entry). That takes me a couple
                                      days. Then, I need the team to error check it. Then release. I hope to
                                      release the disk next weekend, or shortly thereafter (depends on how
                                      many errors and the type of errors....major errors might require some
                                      retesting). I'll give you all a firm date once I get closer.
                                      Thanks all for the patience!
                                    • David Gowdey

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Sep 16, 2015
                                          Ok, I'm going to let the error checking team have another couple days,
                                          and then we'll close up shop. Unless some big issue is found, the disk
                                          will be released this weekend.
                                        • lee_snowden@rocketmail.com
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Sep 19, 2015
                                            Today, Dave??
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Sep 19, 2015

                                              Still error checking. More likely tomorrow night at the earliest.

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Sep 19, 2015
                                                Let's say....this weekend. Maybe late tonight, if everything I still want to look at gets done.
                                                Definitely before Sunday night.

                                                On 9/19/2015 9:05 AM, lee_snowden@... [hockeydisk] wrote:

                                                Today, Dave??

                                              • lee_snowden@rocketmail.com
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Sep 19, 2015
                                                  Thanks gents!
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Sep 28, 2015
                                                    Happy to see that there has been no uproar over problems with the disk.
                                                    That means we must have caught all the errors....whew. The first week
                                                    after release is always a worry. So, with the disk in the books and
                                                    everybody's leagues off and running, I'd like to take a few moments to
                                                    thank those involved.

                                                    First of all, Peter Dallara deserves a big hand for saving the disk this
                                                    year. We went into the past season without having a good source of
                                                    position information, so the entire disk project was in jeopardy.
                                                    However, Peter not only found a good source, but compiled what was
                                                    needed throughout the NHL season to ensure that we had the position
                                                    information that we needed for the disk. He did an amazing job keeping
                                                    on top of it and compiling things. I had a great summary at disk
                                                    creation time that just fell in perfectly. Thanks, Peter!!!!

                                                    Ken Danila again did a great job with getting the review website updated
                                                    and ready to go for another season. In no time flat after I was able to
                                                    get the stats, he was ready to go. The voting site ran flawlessly again,
                                                    and this kickstarted another great disk year. Thanks, Ken!!

                                                    Herb Garbutt was ready with the stat and scout rating sets to help with
                                                    the testing and tweaking. We usually need to adjust about 7 or 8 % of
                                                    the ratings to get the disk performance right, and Herb is truly the
                                                    guiding force behind it. I don't make an adjustment without Herb's
                                                    input. And he always has a full justification behind each one, which
                                                    gives me confidence that we're always headed to a better disk. Thanks,
                                                    Herb!!!

                                                    Herb, Ken, Peter....I owe you all a beer if I get to your towns this
                                                    year!!!!

                                                    Finally, last but not least, I'd like to recognize those that put time
                                                    and energy into the voting ratings. I don't know all the names....the
                                                    site logs email addresses only, but I won't post them here and cause
                                                    them all to get spammed. Let's just say that I've looked through the
                                                    list of raters, and I'm thrilled with the effort that all of you have
                                                    put forth. The quality of this year's disk certainly starts with your
                                                    efforts. Thanks to all.

                                                    Thanks to everyone on here for the patience. It was good disk year, and
                                                    I feel this is the best one yet. Adding the goalie rebound ratings from
                                                    the play by play just adds another layer of realism to the disk quality.
                                                    I hope everyone enjoys this year's disk.
                                                    I look forward to doing even better next year.

                                                    Dave
                                                  • Matt Young
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Sep 28, 2015
                                                      Dave.

                                                      Thanks to you and your team for all the work. Another great disk and another year of apba hockey can be enjoyed by many.

                                                      I know I look forward to next years disk and can't wait to start using the review site again.

                                                      Thanks,
                                                      Matt Young

                                                      Sent from my iPhone

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Sep 28, 2015
                                                        On behalf of the CCHL, a big THANK YOU to everyone on the team!!!

                                                        Bill Corfield