Statistical Comparison Report

  • Jean-Henri Duteau
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 24, 2000
      As some of you know, I have developed a program to produce APBA hockey
      reports. Various versions of the report program are used by APBA hockey
      leagues worldwide. It never ceases to amaze me when I go to a league's
      website and find them using my report program. Anyways, after countless
      tries, I'm finally upgrading it to produce more and better reports. It's not
      done yet, but I wanted to share a snippet of a report that I have made for my
      historical disk work. It's a statistical comparison report.

      Basically, it displays two lines with the first line being a player's current
      simulation statistics. The second line is his real statistics pro-rated to
      the number of minutes that he's played. This accounts for underplaying Jagr
      or overplaying Ricci (in my case).

      I think it's pretty revealing and probably pretty helpful, especially if you
      look at the shot totals. Most players come out quite even (big kudos to the
      disk team for that!). Anyways, here's a glance.

      Westlock Wildcats RECORD:6-8-5
      PS PLAYER NAME AvgM GP G A PTS +/- PIM PP SH GW GT SHT SPCT
      C Ricci 21:37 19 7 9 16 -1 12 2 3 1 1 35 20.00
      5 7 12 4 17 2 0 1 0 39 14.93
      LW Warriner 16:06 19 5 9 14 -6 4 3 0 0 0 33 15.15
      3 3 7 -2 9 0 0 0 0 35 10.53
      RW Recchi 20:44 19 4 9 13 -3 10 2 0 0 0 45 8.89
      6 13 20 4 11 1 0 1 0 49 12.56
      LW G.Adams 15:00 19 2 8 10 -2 2 1 0 0 0 29 6.90
      4 6 11 0 3 1 0 0 0 31 14.73
      C Damphousse 16:31 19 5 4 9 -2 12 0 0 1 0 52 9.62
      3 9 13 0 10 0 0 0 0 38 10.29
      RW S.Young 15:18 19 3 5 8 -2 2 1 0 0 0 49 6.12
      5 3 9 2 4 1 0 1 0 58 9.84
      RD Poti 26:09 19 2 6 8 -3 27 1 1 0 0 37 5.41
      2 7 9 2 17 0 0 0 0 33 7.20
      LW C.Lapointe 18:15 19 5 2 7 3 8 1 0 0 0 42 11.90
      3 3 7 -5 13 0 0 0 0 29 11.63
      C Corson 13:47 19 3 4 7 2 39 0 0 1 0 25 12.00
      1 3 5 0 22 0 0 0 0 23 6.61
      C Nemchinov 12:25 19 3 3 6 -1 12 1 0 1 0 16 18.75
      3 5 8 0 5 0 0 0 0 17 18.18
      LD Dollas 17:15 19 2 3 5 -1 12 1 0 1 0 15 13.33
      0 2 3 1 9 0 0 0 0 11 8.33
      LD D.Mironov 15:03 19 1 4 5 -8 10 1 0 0 0 21 4.76
      0 3 4 1 5 0 0 0 0 18 3.03
      LD Sweeney 22:09 19 0 5 5 5 16 0 0 0 0 19 0.00
      0 3 3 -3 11 0 0 0 0 20 1.22
      LW Matteau 09:44 19 3 1 4 -7 10 3 0 1 0 19 15.79
      2 2 5 0 13 0 0 0 0 16 16.44
      LW Donato 09:53 9 1 2 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 13 7.69
      0 1 2 0 1 0 0 0 0 10 7.97
      RD Popovic 22:00 14 0 2 2 4 12 0 0 0 0 5 0.00
      0 1 2 -2 10 0 0 0 0 8 4.35
      C J.Belanger 08:26 9 0 1 1 -3 4 0 0 0 0 9 0.00
      1 2 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 9 14.29
      LD deVries 12:00 2 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0.00
      0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 5.00
      LD Zettler 16:10 6 0 0 0 -2 14 0 0 0 0 11 0.00
      0 1 1 0 9 0 0 0 0 7 0.00
      C Aalto 08:30 10 0 0 0 -5 4 0 0 0 0 15 0.00
      0 1 1 -1 2 0 0 0 0 10 6.86
      RD Lachance 19:10 11 0 0 0 -3 8 0 0 0 0 12 0.00
      0 1 1 0 4 0 0 0 0 8 0.00
      RW Tuomainen 09:42 14 0 0 0 -3 6 0 0 0 0 11 0.00
      1 1 3 -2 15 0 0 0 0 13 12.16
      GOALIE GP MINS AVG RECORD EN SO GA SA SPCT S/GM GRAT GPTS
      Thibault 15 890 2.49 5-4-5 0 0 37 406 90.89 27.37 +0.38 38.90
      2.76 6-6-1 2 0 40 434 90.59 29.30 +0.60 40.00

      --
      Jean-Henri Duteau
      jeand@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2000
        I have built a web page that allows the gm's of my league to view the
        current NHL stats of players. I have been using Yahoo's NHL stats
        (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhlstats/regular_season_stats.txt)- they update
        them nightly. They use a unique identifier that seems to be of their own
        creation, but is useful to differentiate between players with similar or the
        same names(like them damn Petr Svobodas...). I have created a lookup table
        my data base uses to link the apba and Yahoo data sources. If anyone is
        interested, I can forward a text file with the 2 columns that have the full
        apba names and the Yahoo identifier. You can see the info in action at
        http://www.gchl.net/clubs.asp?abbr=Gfk&Report=NHLStats or
        http://www.gchl.net/fa.asp?source=qryNHLStats&order=name>order=name.
        Anyone looking at building utilities to see current NHL stats might be able
        to make use of this data.

        The only bad side to Yahoo's data is that they only include the Id's for
        players that have played this year. That means that I have to check
        periodically to update the ID's of players that have just started playing...

        email me at derricku@... if you would like a copy of your own. I will
        be updating this table every 2 weeks or so.

        Derrick
      • Mike Haley & Christine Irvine
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2000
          Derrick,
          I am VERY interested in getting a similiar page built for the Lake Placid team.  What do I have to do?  Is there a template that you have created?  Is there any way you can add Ice Time to the stats?

          Mike Haley
          Lake Placid Olympics

          http://www.gchl.net/fa.asp?source=qryNHLStats&order=name&gtorder=name.
          Anyone looking at building utilities to see current NHL stats might be able
          to make use of this data.

          The only bad side to Yahoo's data is that they only include the Id's for
          players that have played this year.  That means that I have to check
          periodically to update the ID's of players that have just started playing...

          email me at derricku@... if you would like a copy of your own.  I will
          be updating this table every 2 weeks or so.

          Derrick

        • Ed Hebscher
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2000
            Please send it to me..Thanks,