RE: [hockeydisk] New disk

  • Derrick Underwood
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 13, 2000
      I found it, and am looking through the file now. Thanks for staying up late
      and getting it done, Jeff. We all appreciate the effort the whole team is
      putting in.

      Derrick

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 13, 2000
        Jeff,

        Jeff & Cheryl Kraus wrote:

        > Okay, folks, the "replay" version of the disk is now
        > available at:
        >
        > http://www.othl.net/diskdnld.htm
        >
        > If this is your first time downloading one of our disks,
        > please read the terms & conditions before downloading.
        > They're also in the ReadMe file that's included in the zip
        > file. If you downloaded last year's disk, the terms &
        > conditions are the same.
        >
        > The version of the disk most of you have been waiting for -
        > the "league" version, will be available either Monday night
        > or, if I have to work late, on Tuesday. We're very pleased
        > with the way things have averaged out over the 100+
        > simulated seasons we ran, so we hope you also get good
        > results with the disk.
        >
        > Jeff

      • Jerry Howell
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 14, 2000
          Disk looks great you guys, good job! Can anyone point me in the
          direction to
          find a text version of the new player ratings? A web page or
          something??

          Thanks, Jerry...
          Jerry Howell
          Westerly, RI, USA
          henchy@...
          http://members.tripod.com/henchy35/
          ICQ 3893092
          NLHA-San Jose Storm OHA-Fresno Fog
          IHL-San Jose Pride
        • Matt Dickendesher
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 14, 2000
            As a rater on the disk, I want to thank all the other raters and Jeff and
            Dave for all of their work. I quickly went through all the players and I
            disagreed with only a handful, and never by more than 1. This tells me the
            raters did a phenomal job making sure everything was as accurate as possible.

            Just a question I've meant to ask for a while to those who replay seasons.
            Most people seem to prefer replaying a league and executing trades at the
            exact same time. My question is: why? Is it to preserve realism? Personally
            I prefer to take the rosters as they were for the playoffs and replay an
            entire season that way as sort of a "What if Player X had been on this team
            all season?" scenario. Plus in a replay of last season if Boston was the
            7th seeded team at the time of the real trade deadline, would Bourque have
            been traded? Absolutely not. Would like to hear some responses from people
            who do exact replays with trades and people who play with the playoff
            rosters. I want to start replaying last season and I want to do it right.

            On that note, how are people going to handle the dilemma of regulation ties
            (yuck). I assume we'll ignore it and play with regular rules but just
            curious if someone had any ideas.

            Thanks!
            Matt
          • mark wendling
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 14, 2000
              We havent discussed regulation ties in the NLHA, and to be honest I hope to
              avoid the discussion if we can.....

              Depending if you reset for playoffs you could do it manually as the detailed
              standings can give you the OT stats. Just a thought.....

              Mark

              >From: Matt Dickendesher <mrdcool@...>
              >To: hockeydisk@egroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [hockeydisk] New disk
              >Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 17:04:52 -0400
              >
              >As a rater on the disk, I want to thank all the other raters and Jeff and
              >Dave for all of their work. I quickly went through all the players and I
              >disagreed with only a handful, and never by more than 1. This tells me the
              >raters did a phenomal job making sure everything was as accurate as
              >possible.
              >
              >Just a question I've meant to ask for a while to those who replay seasons.
              >Most people seem to prefer replaying a league and executing trades at the
              >exact same time. My question is: why? Is it to preserve realism? Personally
              >I prefer to take the rosters as they were for the playoffs and replay an
              >entire season that way as sort of a "What if Player X had been on this team
              >all season?" scenario. Plus in a replay of last season if Boston was the
              >7th seeded team at the time of the real trade deadline, would Bourque have
              >been traded? Absolutely not. Would like to hear some responses from people
              >who do exact replays with trades and people who play with the playoff
              >rosters. I want to start replaying last season and I want to do it right.
              >
              >On that note, how are people going to handle the dilemma of regulation ties
              >(yuck). I assume we'll ignore it and play with regular rules but just
              >curious if someone had any ideas.
              >
              >Thanks!
              >Matt

            • Jeff & Cheryl Kraus
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 14, 2000
                WHAT?! You aren't using the freeware APBA Commissioner
                software?! You can use the Export Player Stats function to
                dump out all but the hidden ratings.

                And, actually, here's a free tip that has never before been
                publicized! If you start APHComm with a command line
                argument of /t (slash-T) the export function WILL spit
                out the hidden ratings. I put that in there a few years ago
                for testing purposes back when the hidden ratings were still
                hush-hush, then forgot all about it.

                And before anyone asks, in Windows 95 / 98 you can put a
                command line argument directly in the shortcut properties
                (on the Shortcut tab, just add /t to the end of the
                command, inside the quotes if there are quotes, with a space
                between the end of the command and the /t , like this:
                "C:\Program Files\APHComm\APHComm.Exe /t". You can do the
                same from the Start \ Run command line.

                *****************
                Jerry Howell
                Westerly, RI, USA
                henchy@...
                http://members.tripod.com/henchy35/
                ICQ 3893092
                NLHA-San Jose Storm OHA-Fresno Fog
                IHL-San Jose Pride
                *****************

                --------<e|-
                Never lose a file again. Protect yourself from accidental
                deletes,
                overwrites, and viruses with @Backup.
                Try @Backup it's easy, it's safe, and it's FREE!
                Click here to receive 300 MyPoints just for trying @Backup.
                http://click.egroups.com/1/6349/2/_/17566/_/966282857/
                --------|e>-
              • Jeff & Cheryl Kraus
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 14, 2000
                  > This tells me the raters did a phenomenal job making sure
                  everything was as accurate as possible.

                  Dave and I have said it before, but we'll second it again.
                  Easily the best set of ratings we've gotten from the review
                  team.

                  > how are people going to handle the dilemma of regulation
                  ties (yuck).

                  Fortunately for me, our league overwhelmingly voted down the
                  NHL's insipid rule even if Dave had been able to add it to
                  the game in time. If the NHL really wants to get rid of tie
                  games, they should award ZERO points for a tie game. Then
                  you'll see some teams busting it to get that win unless it's
                  late in the season and the two teams are fighting
                  head-to-head for playoff position. They'll also have no
                  incentive to snooze their way through the end of regulation
                  to ensure they get at least one point.