Re: [hockeydisk] New disk

  • Jeff & Cheryl Kraus
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 13 10:22 PM
      Okay, folks, the "replay" version of the disk is now
      available at:

      http://www.othl.net/diskdnld.htm

      If this is your first time downloading one of our disks,
      please read the terms & conditions before downloading.
      They're also in the ReadMe file that's included in the zip
      file. If you downloaded last year's disk, the terms &
      conditions are the same.

      The version of the disk most of you have been waiting for -
      the "league" version, will be available either Monday night
      or, if I have to work late, on Tuesday. We're very pleased
      with the way things have averaged out over the 100+
      simulated seasons we ran, so we hope you also get good
      results with the disk.

      Jeff
    • Derrick Underwood
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 13 10:31 PM
        I found it, and am looking through the file now. Thanks for staying up late
        and getting it done, Jeff. We all appreciate the effort the whole team is
        putting in.

        Derrick

        Thanks a ton, currently the link is leading me to a blank page...
        is it working for anyone else?

        Luc Labelle
        NAHA Commissioner

        Jeff & Cheryl Kraus wrote:

        > Okay, folks, the "replay" version of the disk is now
        > available at:
        >
        > http://www.othl.net/diskdnld.htm
        >
        > If this is your first time downloading one of our disks,
        > please read the terms & conditions before downloading.
        > They're also in the ReadMe file that's included in the zip
        > file. If you downloaded last year's disk, the terms &
        > conditions are the same.
        >
        > The version of the disk most of you have been waiting for -
        > the "league" version, will be available either Monday night
        > or, if I have to work late, on Tuesday. We're very pleased
        > with the way things have averaged out over the 100+
        > simulated seasons we ran, so we hope you also get good
        > results with the disk.
        >
        > Jeff

      • Luc Labelle
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 13 10:32 PM

          Jeff & Cheryl Kraus wrote:

          > Okay, folks, the "replay" version of the disk is now
          > available at:
          >
          > http://www.othl.net/diskdnld.htm
          >
          > If this is your first time downloading one of our disks,
          > please read the terms & conditions before downloading.
          > They're also in the ReadMe file that's included in the zip
          > file. If you downloaded last year's disk, the terms &
          > conditions are the same.
          >
          > The version of the disk most of you have been waiting for -
          > the "league" version, will be available either Monday night
          > or, if I have to work late, on Tuesday. We're very pleased
          > with the way things have averaged out over the 100+
          > simulated seasons we ran, so we hope you also get good
          > results with the disk.
          >
          > Jeff

        • Jerry Howell
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 14 1:03 PM
            Disk looks great you guys, good job! Can anyone point me in the
            direction to
            find a text version of the new player ratings? A web page or
            something??

            Thanks, Jerry...
            Jerry Howell
            Westerly, RI, USA
            henchy@...
            http://members.tripod.com/henchy35/
            ICQ 3893092
            NLHA-San Jose Storm OHA-Fresno Fog
            IHL-San Jose Pride
          • Matt Dickendesher
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 14 2:04 PM
              As a rater on the disk, I want to thank all the other raters and Jeff and
              Dave for all of their work. I quickly went through all the players and I
              disagreed with only a handful, and never by more than 1. This tells me the
              raters did a phenomal job making sure everything was as accurate as possible.

              Just a question I've meant to ask for a while to those who replay seasons.
              Most people seem to prefer replaying a league and executing trades at the
              exact same time. My question is: why? Is it to preserve realism? Personally
              I prefer to take the rosters as they were for the playoffs and replay an
              entire season that way as sort of a "What if Player X had been on this team
              all season?" scenario. Plus in a replay of last season if Boston was the
              7th seeded team at the time of the real trade deadline, would Bourque have
              been traded? Absolutely not. Would like to hear some responses from people
              who do exact replays with trades and people who play with the playoff
              rosters. I want to start replaying last season and I want to do it right.

              On that note, how are people going to handle the dilemma of regulation ties
              (yuck). I assume we'll ignore it and play with regular rules but just
              curious if someone had any ideas.

              Thanks!
              Matt
            • mark wendling
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 14 2:14 PM
                We havent discussed regulation ties in the NLHA, and to be honest I hope to
                avoid the discussion if we can.....

                Depending if you reset for playoffs you could do it manually as the detailed
                standings can give you the OT stats. Just a thought.....

                Mark

                >From: Matt Dickendesher <mrdcool@...>
                >To: hockeydisk@egroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [hockeydisk] New disk
                >Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 17:04:52 -0400
                >
                >As a rater on the disk, I want to thank all the other raters and Jeff and
                >Dave for all of their work. I quickly went through all the players and I
                >disagreed with only a handful, and never by more than 1. This tells me the
                >raters did a phenomal job making sure everything was as accurate as
                >possible.
                >
                >Just a question I've meant to ask for a while to those who replay seasons.
                >Most people seem to prefer replaying a league and executing trades at the
                >exact same time. My question is: why? Is it to preserve realism? Personally
                >I prefer to take the rosters as they were for the playoffs and replay an
                >entire season that way as sort of a "What if Player X had been on this team
                >all season?" scenario. Plus in a replay of last season if Boston was the
                >7th seeded team at the time of the real trade deadline, would Bourque have
                >been traded? Absolutely not. Would like to hear some responses from people
                >who do exact replays with trades and people who play with the playoff
                >rosters. I want to start replaying last season and I want to do it right.
                >
                >On that note, how are people going to handle the dilemma of regulation ties
                >(yuck). I assume we'll ignore it and play with regular rules but just
                >curious if someone had any ideas.
                >
                >Thanks!
                >Matt

              • Jeff & Cheryl Kraus
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 14 4:01 PM
                  WHAT?! You aren't using the freeware APBA Commissioner
                  software?! You can use the Export Player Stats function to
                  dump out all but the hidden ratings.

                  And, actually, here's a free tip that has never before been
                  publicized! If you start APHComm with a command line
                  argument of /t (slash-T) the export function WILL spit
                  out the hidden ratings. I put that in there a few years ago
                  for testing purposes back when the hidden ratings were still
                  hush-hush, then forgot all about it.

                  And before anyone asks, in Windows 95 / 98 you can put a
                  command line argument directly in the shortcut properties
                  (on the Shortcut tab, just add /t to the end of the
                  command, inside the quotes if there are quotes, with a space
                  between the end of the command and the /t , like this:
                  "C:\Program Files\APHComm\APHComm.Exe /t". You can do the
                  same from the Start \ Run command line.

                  *****************
                  Jerry Howell
                  Westerly, RI, USA
                  henchy@...
                  http://members.tripod.com/henchy35/
                  ICQ 3893092
                  NLHA-San Jose Storm OHA-Fresno Fog
                  IHL-San Jose Pride
                  *****************

                  --------<e|-
                  Never lose a file again. Protect yourself from accidental
                  deletes,
                  overwrites, and viruses with @Backup.
                  Try @Backup it's easy, it's safe, and it's FREE!
                  Click here to receive 300 MyPoints just for trying @Backup.
                  http://click.egroups.com/1/6349/2/_/17566/_/966282857/
                  --------|e>-
                • Jeff & Cheryl Kraus
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 14 4:07 PM
                    > This tells me the raters did a phenomenal job making sure
                    everything was as accurate as possible.

                    Dave and I have said it before, but we'll second it again.
                    Easily the best set of ratings we've gotten from the review
                    team.

                    > how are people going to handle the dilemma of regulation
                    ties (yuck).

                    Fortunately for me, our league overwhelmingly voted down the
                    NHL's insipid rule even if Dave had been able to add it to
                    the game in time. If the NHL really wants to get rid of tie
                    games, they should award ZERO points for a tie game. Then
                    you'll see some teams busting it to get that win unless it's
                    late in the season and the two teams are fighting
                    head-to-head for playoff position. They'll also have no
                    incentive to snooze their way through the end of regulation
                    to ensure they get at least one point.