Re: [hockeydisk] Re: injuries

  • grapstul
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2000
      nnhl@... wrote:

      > Wow, 60 days!! In three years (and 1092 games), four games has been
      > the max. Although, before I started a league I replayed the strike
      > year and I remember Tommy Soderstrom going out for 30 days. That's it
      > though.
      > The idea of using the IR time frames is an interesting one. If you're
      > playing with injuries off I'd say that's the way to go. It would
      > prevent a GM who has a player who is going to miss 10 games from
      > sitting him for games against all the weak teams and having him
      > available for all the key games. For instance last year, saving Bure
      > and his dozen or so games for every key matchups. That doesn't seem
      > right.
      > The one thing I like about having the injuries on is the randomness
      > of
      > it all. Part of the challenge is dealing with those freak times when
      > you have three players at a position out at the same time. (That may
      > also happen using the IR timelines but you would be able to prepare
      > ahead of time) Having good depth, versatile players or a minor league
      > team suddenly becomes very important at these times. It also forces a
      > GM to make a move sometimes.
      >
      > Herb Garbutt
      > NNHL
      >
      > --- In hockeydisk@egroups.com, "Jeff & Cheryl Kraus" <kraushaus@d...>
      > wrote:
      > > The league I run has Injuries turned off (all teams have to
      > > police their own usage by holding guys to their actual
      > > number of NHL games played), so we don't have to deal with
      > > the problem of APBA not creating enough injuries.
      > >
      > > HOWEVER, has anyone considered supplementing the injuries
      > > generated by APBA with the actual NHL IR list? In other
      > > words, if a guy was on IR from December 8 through March 30,
      > > have him unavailable to your league during that date range?
      > > If any leagues have experimented with that, perhaps you can
      > > share your experiences with those looking for "a better
      > > way".
      > >
      > > Jeff

      In the IHA we have been using a GAMES TO BE MISSED CHART for about 20
      seasons now.We try to track the actual NHL games that the better players
      from each NHL team misses and "assign" games that they must sit out in
      our IHA season which as close to possible match the games (time frame in
      the NHL season)that they missed during the previous NHL season. It isn't
      that hard to track and adds a great element the folowing IHA season when
      a team is missing 3 or 4 players at a time. Makes things very
      realistic....Steve Grapstul