injuries

  • NNHL
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2000
      >the computer will NOT put the forward on your defensive
      pairs. It has >happened though, but usually very late in a
      game (in OT), but only when all >the other dmen are in fatigue
      already and at least 2 of the starting dmen have >left with
      injury.

      I've usually found that it's the backup goalie who gets thrown into the
      defensive spots when there are mulitiple defensive injuries. Especially
      if a full lineup isn't filled in. Just one of the quirks of the game, I
      guess.

      As for the injury thing, that sounds good. My biggest beef with the
      injuries is for goalies. They never go out for more than four days. Not
      really realistic considering the types of injuries these guys usually
      get (groin injuries, hand injuries) and the things they must do to
      perform their job. In reality, if a goalie goes out it's usually a
      minimum of a week.

      Herb Garbutt
      NNHL Commissioner
    • zachtower@home.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 30, 2000
        Herb and others,

        Just 2 seasons ago, the HAL Admirals of the ESHL lost Martin Brodeur
        for 60 days!

        A killer injury.

        You're right though, no goalie is EVER out more than 4 days. With
        this program, any player who gets injured in an APBA game, could get
        an 'extended injury'.

        I've been using the program 3 years now and it makes for more
        realistic gameplay (although you should hear the GM when he loses his
        star player!)
      • Jeff & Cheryl Kraus
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 30, 2000
          The league I run has Injuries turned off (all teams have to
          police their own usage by holding guys to their actual
          number of NHL games played), so we don't have to deal with
          the problem of APBA not creating enough injuries.

          HOWEVER, has anyone considered supplementing the injuries
          generated by APBA with the actual NHL IR list? In other
          words, if a guy was on IR from December 8 through March 30,
          have him unavailable to your league during that date range?
          If any leagues have experimented with that, perhaps you can
          share your experiences with those looking for "a better
          way".

          Jeff
        • nnhl@idirect.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 30, 2000
            Wow, 60 days!! In three years (and 1092 games), four games has been
            the max. Although, before I started a league I replayed the strike
            year and I remember Tommy Soderstrom going out for 30 days. That's it
            though.
            The idea of using the IR time frames is an interesting one. If you're
            playing with injuries off I'd say that's the way to go. It would
            prevent a GM who has a player who is going to miss 10 games from
            sitting him for games against all the weak teams and having him
            available for all the key games. For instance last year, saving Bure
            and his dozen or so games for every key matchups. That doesn't seem
            right.
            The one thing I like about having the injuries on is the randomness
            of
            it all. Part of the challenge is dealing with those freak times when
            you have three players at a position out at the same time. (That may
            also happen using the IR timelines but you would be able to prepare
            ahead of time) Having good depth, versatile players or a minor league
            team suddenly becomes very important at these times. It also forces a
            GM to make a move sometimes.

            Herb Garbutt
            NNHL

            --- In hockeydisk@egroups.com, "Jeff & Cheryl Kraus" <kraushaus@d...>