Hit study

  • Brad Utterstrom
    Message 1 of 1 , May 11, 2000
      Guys, I just took the generic roster and did a study on how the
      different ratings effect the # of hits a player gets. I was
      manipulating PHY, INT, 4CK, and CLR ratings. Here are some of my
      findings.

      Method: I would make a single change to all players of one team, and
      record all stats for hits, ice time, and find the average hits/minute
      played for each individual player and a team average.

      *CLR has little to no effect on hits. Strangely, the CLR 5 group had
      the lowest amount of hits (.069/min), compared to the CLR 1's
      (.074/min). CLR 3's had .071/min. My guess is that the reason CLR1's
      had more hits is that the forwards on the CLR 5 team also had 4CK 5,
      while the forwards on CLR 1 also had a 4CK of 1. The only way I can
      make sense of this is that the CLR5 team didn't have any forecheckers
      to hit, while the CLR 1 guys always had a forward in their face
      forechecking, so they picked up a few extra hits on the forecheckers.

      *PHY has more impact on hitting than INT does. PHY 1 guys averaged
      less hits than INT 1's (.056 for 1PHY, .066 for 1INT). PHY 5's
      averaged more hits than INT 5's (.108 to .099). PHY 9's averaged
      .154 hits/min.

      *4CK alone does not have as significant an impact as I would have
      thought, however the fact that dmen do not have a 4CK rating seems to
      be the main difference between dmen and forwards hits. But a 5 FCK
      forward averaged .121 compared to .108 for a 1 FCK forward, not as
      significant a difference as I would have thought.

      *I tried giving all players all 0's in 4CK, PHY, and INT and they
      averaged .023 hits/min, while a 1 PHY and 0's for 4CK and INT got
      just
      a .24 avg.

      *I also tried giving 1 team 5's for both PHY and 4CK, and the other
      team 1's for both PHY and 4CK. The The 5's outhit the 1's .109 to
      .049, suggesting that when high PHY and 4CK are combined is when the
      real difference takes place. A high 4CK with low-average PHY still
      doesn't hit too much.

      *My next plan is to seperate the forwards and dmen and really figure
      out the averages for both in difference situations. My ultimate goal
      is to develop a mathematical equation for calculating PHY when given
      INT and 4CK ratings, rather than just doing the ratings by repeated
      trial sims and ratings tweaking.