[hockeydisk] Re: hockeydisk digest

  • Brett Hall
    Message 1 of 34 , Mar 16, 2000
      > I remember that note, and my opinion is still the same, too. I agree
      > 100% on the Bure-type seasons. You HAVE to limit your low-use guys,
      > because it's been proven year after year that APBA doesn't recreate
      > injuries as accurately as you'd want. Bure going nuts is one thing,
      > but who wants Brian Bellows and Andrew Brunette scoring 60 goals?

      I dunno, maybe the guys who have Bellows and Brunette? :-)
      They did do very well last year in a league I'm in, however I think
      you did a good job in limiting these players' potential by adjusting
      the hidden ratings. I guess I'll know for sure this season, which is
      just starting in the league with no maximum play restrictions.

      > Back-up goalies are different. Back-ups, especially those on good
      > teams, are usually spotted against the weaker opponents. You won't
      > find many back-ups starting against a division leader with playoff
      > time drawing near. Their stats are often as good as (or better than)
      > the team's starter because they get easier assignments.

      Well put. Certainly if Anaheim thought Roussel could save 92% of
      the shots he faces against the top teams, he'd be their starter.

      I'm not sure how exactly to work this out, other than subjectively.
      One could make an argument that a goalie that faces a ton of
      shots with a .905 save % (like CuJo when he was in St. Louis) is
      as good as or better than a goalie who doesn't face many shots
      with a .915 (say Belfour, Brodeur, or Turek). However, does the
      goalie on the better team face more 'quality' shots? Could go
      either way there.

      > But what happens in APBA? My son has Dominic Roussel on his team. His
      > team is fighting for a playoff spot. Roussel's save percentage was
      > .923 in 18 games. His other two goalies are Kolzig (.900 in 64 games)
      > and Burke (.907 in 59 games). Think he spotted Roussel against weaker
      > teams 18 times? No way! Roussel gets all the assignments against the
      > league's best teams. Not very realistic.

      You're just bitter because your boy is killing ya. :-)

      > P.S. I don't really have anything else to say, but I wanted to make
      > sure I got in as many words as possible for Brett. :-)

      And don't think I don't appreciate that. :-)

      Brett

      St. Louis Mustangs (GHMHL)
      St. Louis Sting (WWAHL)
      St. Louis Ice Lords (NWHL)
    • Glenn St-Germain
      Message 34 of 34 , May 30 6:33 AM
        >So, if you put two great scorers together, *will* they both
        >get their normal share of goals? Not that this is conclusive proof, but
        >Palffy did a bulk of his scoring while Robitaille was hurt, and was
        Robitaille's
        >play maker much of the time. Those of us with Palffy on our teams were real
        >thrilled about that! :-) L.A. raters, how about a 5 PAS for Ziggy to ease
        >our pain? :-)
        >
        >Jeff

        Just an observation from an APBA League: in the RMHL, my team has
        had, as its #1 line, Lindros-LeClair-B.Hull. The three of them consistently
        finish in the top 10 scorers, and in fact have finished in the top 5 more
        than once. In fact, at the end of the last season all thre were in the top
        10, two of them in the top 5 (along with my second-line centre Lafontaine).
        So with come combinations, it works very well; your mileage may vary.

        Glenn
        Commish, NWHL

        Glenn St-Germain ยง Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
        cos90@...
        http://www.telusplanet.net/public/glennstg
        "There is no longer any normal to be"
        -- Gary Numan