[hockeydisk] 1999-2000 APBA season disk

  • D. A. Atkinson
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 11, 2000
      Gentlemen,
      The time is upon us to begin building the review team to put this year's
      disk together. At this point in time, we have 2 needs for the review
      team:
      1) volunteers to compile position data from the season's Hockey
      News issues
      2) volunteers to provide rating input.

      Those volunteering for task 1 get special consideration, since the
      task is not alot of fun. But, if we can get 5 or 6 people covering
      it, that would spread the workload out to a reasonable level.

      For task 2, I need people who have good hockey knowledge, and
      can evaluate players honestly, fairly, and correctly. We need raters
      that can provide input on the entire league, and we also would like
      raters that are local team experts. Local team experts would be
      people that have season tickets, or see more than half the team's
      games on TV.

      Please respond to me if you wish to volunteer for either task.
      If you volunteer to be a rater for the whole league, please make
      sure that you are qualified. In my past experiences in doing the
      disk, some that felt qualified to do the entire league turned in
      some very disappointing reviews. Please volunteer only for
      what you feel comfortable in rating.

      Dave
    • Luc Labelle
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 11, 2000
        Dave,

        I have all the issues of The Hockey News and would be more than willing
        to help your disk team with this task.

        Luc Labelle
        Commissioner-NAHA

        "D. A. Atkinson" wrote:

        > Gentlemen,
        > The time is upon us to begin building the review team to put this year's
        > disk together. At this point in time, we have 2 needs for the review
        > team:
        > 1) volunteers to compile position data from the season's Hockey
        > News issues
        > 2) volunteers to provide rating input.
        >
        > Those volunteering for task 1 get special consideration, since the
        > task is not alot of fun. But, if we can get 5 or 6 people covering
        > it, that would spread the workload out to a reasonable level.
        >
        > For task 2, I need people who have good hockey knowledge, and
        > can evaluate players honestly, fairly, and correctly. We need raters
        > that can provide input on the entire league, and we also would like
        > raters that are local team experts. Local team experts would be
        > people that have season tickets, or see more than half the team's
        > games on TV.
        >
        > Please respond to me if you wish to volunteer for either task.
        > If you volunteer to be a rater for the whole league, please make
        > sure that you are qualified. In my past experiences in doing the
        > disk, some that felt qualified to do the entire league turned in
        > some very disappointing reviews. Please volunteer only for
        > what you feel comfortable in rating.
        >
        > Dave

        > PERFORM CPR ON YOUR APR!
        > Apply NOW!
        >
        > eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/hockeydisk/
      • Brad Utterstrom
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 11, 2000
          Great! Something to get excited about! I was a member of the ratings
          team last year, and would love to do it again this year. Also, and I've
          mentioned this before and we've had discussions on it here, but I would
          like to again suggest that we base the PHY ratings on actual hits in
          the NHL. Another thing I thought of, because in general people did not
          like the idea because they felt that PHY affected too many other areas
          of the game...but what about this idea? From what I've heard and seen,
          INT does not have as great an impact on other facets of the game, but
          still does affect the # of hits dished out...what if we used INT as the
          "hit" rating then? It's something that should probably be looked into
          before any final decision is made.

          With last season's disk, I did make the changes to PHY (and also the
          various penalty ratings) and would be happy to get you that disk so you
          can see how it works out if you're open to the idea.

          As I just mentioned, the other area I am most interested in helping is
          with the penalty ratings. I have noticed that with the F1 autorate, way
          too many minors are given out to some players, and in cases too many
          misconducts, etc. What I did last year, and what I will do again this
          year whether or not I am a part of the disk team, is to use the
          autoroster feature, and change the penalty (and hit) ratings, comparing
          to NHL stats and APBA vs NHL ice time, until I feel that all of the
          players are getting reasonbly realistic stats from the ratings. It's a
          somewhat tedious process, but like I said I'm gonna do it on my own
          free time anyway.

          Thanks, and I sincerely hope you consider some of my ideas.-Brad
          Utterstrom
          bradutterstrom@...

          "d. a. atkinson" <bigdo-@...> wrote:
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/hockeydisk/?start=529
          > Gentlemen,
          > The time is upon us to begin building the review team to put this
          year's
          > disk together. At this point in time, we have 2 needs for the review
          > team:
          > 1) volunteers to compile position data from the season's Hockey
          > News issues
          > 2) volunteers to provide rating input.
          >
          > Those volunteering for task 1 get special consideration, since the
          > task is not alot of fun. But, if we can get 5 or 6 people covering
          > it, that would spread the workload out to a reasonable level.
          >
          > For task 2, I need people who have good hockey knowledge, and
          > can evaluate players honestly, fairly, and correctly. We need raters
          > that can provide input on the entire league, and we also would like
          > raters that are local team experts. Local team experts would be
          > people that have season tickets, or see more than half the team's
          > games on TV.
          >
          > Please respond to me if you wish to volunteer for either task.
          > If you volunteer to be a rater for the whole league, please make
          > sure that you are qualified. In my past experiences in doing the
          > disk, some that felt qualified to do the entire league turned in
          > some very disappointing reviews. Please volunteer only for
          > what you feel comfortable in rating.
          >
          > Dave

        • Michael & Christine Haley
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 12, 2000
            Dave,
            As much as I would like to tout my scouting skills as league wide, I
            cannot. I am very familiar with Detroit and New Jersey. I may also be
            able to provide valuable input on Boston, NY Rangers and NY Islanders.

            I look forward to working on the project.

            Mike

          • FOURJZNNL@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 12, 2000
              Dave < I can give info on the Blackhawks if you wish.