Re: [hockeydisk] upcoming disk

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 5, 2013
      So, to get into some more technical detail so that you can understand where I think the issues will be.....
      Some of the ratings run on a "per minute" basis, some run on a "per game" basis, and some are independent.
      For example, all the non-minor penalties run "per game". Many of the others, such as chance of shot taken, are per minute. These *should* scale as the disk is extrapolated from 48 to 82, but I'm sure they are perfectly linear, from effects that I've seen in testing. Thus, there is a chance that in scaling the disk, one might end up with more major penalties, or less game misconducts, than expected. The 48 game disk was tested and adjusted to optimal performance on a 48 game season. So, there is a small chance of some strange numbers...my guess is that these will occur with penalties rather than goals/assts/etc.
      One more note....this disk, as have all past disks, has two main issues that are unfixable and I do the best to mitigate the problem with a happy balance:
      1) all high assists players that take many shots too will end up 20-30% low on assists. This has been a long term flaw in the game engine. To get their assists up, at some point shots on goal (and thus goals) have to be sacrificed by that player. So, I try to get them as many assists that I can, only giving up shots/goals to get them in the bracket at the lower end of the acceptable range. This year, Zetterberg and Crosby are the biggest culprits, expect their assists to be 20-30% low. Crosby is a problem with this every year since he gets many goals and assists....a few high puck possession guys are the usual problems.
      2) goons will get too many PIM. This also happens every year, and is typical of players where many of their penalties are fights and misconducts rather than minors. Parros, Blanchard, Volpatti fit the bill this year. The trouble with them is that with a high PHY/INT, they will still get minors even if their PEN RATE is 0. I try to get their fight totals per minute about on, and let the other numbers fall where they may. I often sacrifice MISC to get PIM down, because I don't have full control of minors in the ratings.

      The two disks are going to Brian for posting shortly. Enjoy, and I hope this year's disk works out well for you and your league. It was a challenge with the short season (smaller sample size). But, I got some new testing tools made, and the voting system that Ken Danila developed worked fabulously to get the ratings done in a timely manner. Next year, with a full NHL season, things should go more smoothly and quickly. I apologize for the late release (I was really hoping for early Sept), but the short season complicated things.

      Again, feedback on the disk is welcome.

               Dave

      On 10/5/2013 5:18 AM, Bill Corfield wrote:
      Dave-

       Thanks once again for all the work you and the team put into these disks. The work of a few allow the many to have hours and hours of fun. We very much appreciate it.

       I'm still unclear on how best to proceed for our upcoming season. We plan on playing an 82 game schedule. If I understood you correctly in prior emails, we can use the 48 game disk WITH NO PROBLEMS AT ALL, AS IS for our upcoming season. But in a recent email, you said if there was enough interest for an extrapolated disk, you'd put one together for those leagues that wanted a 82 game disk.

      What's the difference/advantage/disadvantages of using the 48 game disk vs. the 82 game one? If you're running a full 82 game season/league, which would you want to use?

      Would you please answer in non scientific terms? Dumb it down for the average APBA guy, ok?

      Thanks,

      Bill

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 5, 2013
        OK Guys....the disks are uploaded to apbahockey.com

        Be sure you get the right one....the 48 game season is the main one and the other is marked as pro-rated 82 game season.  They can be found int he Downloads section

        Also, remember, you must be registered to download anything.

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 6, 2013
          Thanks to all of those involved. Your hard work is much appreciated. Thank you for keeping this game alive and for all the extras you guys do.

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 6, 2013
              It's a matter of preference, as all the stats are pro-rated out to 82 games.
              For mixing seasons, it's probably best to use the pro-rated disk.
              For a league that is just using the season as is, it really depends on usage rules whether the 48 game disk is a better choice or not.
              I would hope that they would perform fairly similarly over an 82 game schedule, although there are some non-linear effects (especially with non-minor penalties) that might skew that some.

              If all this is confusing, blame Gary Bettman.

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 7, 2013
                Many thanks to all for all the work on this great project