Player Creation

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 33 , Apr 11, 2013

      Good evening,

      After putting together Olympic Disks for 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010 and World Cup 1996 & 2004 using ratings that you guys created for each season (thank you by the way) I thought I would try to create something from scratch.

      I found the most complete stats I have ever seen for an Olympics and created all 12 teams from the 2010 Olympics. As you know, clicking F1 when creating players is not that accurate. Forwards have clearing ratings added and many other ratings are really quite average. I realize the endeavor of creating a competition with very few games played but I thought it would be fun using those lesser teams (Latvia, Norway, etc).

      Here are my questions. First, the stats I found have total minutes played as well as average minutes per game. When you guys create season disks, do you use exact average time or do you add something to a player's actual average? One of the issues with using the actual time for an olympics is that all 20 skaters play and thus average times are down a bit. When I will be using APBA I wont be able to dress all 20 players.

      To get the ratings right, I have used the utility tool of copying ratings from source to target for all the players who appeared in the NHL. That leaves the players who never played in the NHL. I believe there are stats from the European leagues available online although that would most likely only include GP, G, A, PTs, PIM.

      Although the stats that I entered are exactly what each player did in the Olympics, if I choose to use European stats, my second question has to do with how to adjust them for the NHL? Meaning, a guy who scores 30 goals in the KHL might not score 30 in the NHL. Can anyone think of some sort of process I might use?

      Finally, getting back to the non-NHL players, I also need to rate them for skating, speed etc. Any thoughts or tips you can provide would be appreciated. I should mention that I have all the 2010 games on DVD so I do plan on watching them. That said, I dont know if I am skilled enough to rate players watching them especially if I have to rate near every player on a team.

      Oh yeah, one last question. If a player did not score in real life and thus has 0% shooting does that mean its impossible for him to score? Same with shots; if a guy didnt take a shot will he in  game of APBA?

      Thank you,
      Jeff

    • David Gowdey
      Message 33 of 33 , Apr 29, 2013