Re: discussion on player over/under usage (minutes)

  • asrjabkz
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 21, 2013
      Rather than tracking player usage by games played, simply use minutes played.

      --- In hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com, "D. Atkinson" <boomhound@...> wrote:

      > One word: lottery.
      > Those that like to dump games to make their team better will drop out
      > from leagues that use a draft lottery. And it needs to be more than top
      > 2. Yes, there are legit bad teams that will get hurt from time to time,
      > but it is a nice automatic self-correction that helps. I've only seen
      > blatant tanking a couple times, but these guys usually don't last long
      > if a draft lottery cuts their chances.
      > I've had to call it out as a commish, and lost a long term league member
      > once because of it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Leagues need to have
      > some sort of inherent integrity....that's what makes them fun.

      > On 2/20/2013 4:18 PM, Bill Corfield wrote:
      > >
      > > Brad-
      > >

      > > I'm the co-founder/co-commish of the CCHL and current commissioner of
      > > the LHL.
      > >
      > > The LHL is a strict usage league, but we don't regulate how much a
      > > team may use a certain player within the context of a given game. Its
      > > a bit of a casual league by design and it doesn't seem to be a problem.
      > >
      > > In the CCHL, its a bit of a different story. Again, we don't mandate
      > > shift minimums/maximums or watch player usage other than goalies, who
      > > get 125% of NHL actuals.
      > >
      > > We recently ran into an issue where a long term GM in the league
      > > brashly began to bench his better players. Eventually we noticed,
      > > asked him about it, and were told basically "we all know who's going
      > > to win this season, why try?" We instructed him to put his best lineup
      > > back on the ice, which caused a bit of a fuss. This same GM then tried
      > > to sign a FA goalie, who was worse than his current goalies in order
      > > to lose more games, which would improve his draft position, thereby
      > > "helping his team."
      > >
      > > Our rules stated that GM's must run their teams in a professional
      > > manner and implicitly said that the quality of competition was
      > > important. This rogue GM tried to exploit some vagueness in our rules
      > > and was summarily rejected. He even admitted his "tanking" to the
      > > league and let's just say the response wasn't a positive one. We've
      > > dealt with it, beefed up the language in our rules and moved on.
      > >
      > > The league voted 21-0 in support of rejecting conduct like what I've
      > > described in the future
      > >
      > > That situation aside, I've always felt that teams running a short
      > > roster or maxing out their shifts for the better players assume some
      > > risk of poor performance due to fatigue, as well as some increased
      > > injury issues.
      > >
      > > Whatever is decided upon, I would just stress it be clearly
      > > communicated in the rules. Make sure all GM's are aware of it and held
      > > accountable evenly...
      > >
      > > Cheers,
      > >
      > > Bill Corfield

    • asrjabkz
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 21, 2013
        I was in a league years ago that used mins rather than GP for usage and it worked pretty well. Kept teams from overusing players but also gives you a little flexibility with injured guys, allowing you to prolong their GP by scaling back their mins.

        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 21, 2013
          all of your championships should feel cheesy
          davebole

          Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:28 PM
          Subject: Re: [hockeydisk] Re: discussion on player over/under usage (minutes)

          I've been in that kind of league where usage was left pretty open...and, I'm proud to say, that I was a few years ago able to ride Rob Tallas to a championship. (.926 save % in 14 games with no restrictions)

          It still feels kind of cheesy, lol...

          Plenty of ways to minimize it, but almost all require some monitoring and more work from the league office...

          Bill Corfield

          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 21, 2013
            I'd be careful Mr. Bole lest I explain to the group why you're not in any of my leagues any more...

            If I was you, I'd let sleeping digs lie...

            Bill Corfield

            Corfield wrote:

            > Brad-
            >

            > I'm the co-founder/co-commish of the CCHL and current
            commissioner of the LHL.

            > The LHL is a strict usage league, but
            we don't regulate how much a team may use a certain player within the context of a given game. Its a bit of a casual league by design and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

            > In the CCHL, its a bit of a different story. Again,
            we don't mandate shift minimums/maximums or watch player usage other than goalies, who get 125% of NHL actuals.

            > We recently ran into an
            issue where a long term GM in the league brashly began to bench his better players. Eventually we noticed, asked him about it, and were told basically "we all know who's going to win this season, why try?" We instructed him to put his best lineup back on the ice, which caused a bit of a fuss. This same GM then tried to sign a FA goalie, who was worse than his current goalies in order to lose more games, which would improve his draft position, thereby "helping his team."

            > Our rules stated that GM's must run their teams in a
            professional manner and implicitly said that the quality of competition was important. This rogue GM tried to exploit some vagueness in our rules and was summarily rejected. He even admitted his "tanking" to the league and let's just say the response wasn't a positive one. We've dealt with it, beefed up the language in our rules and moved on.

            > The
            league voted 21-0 in support of rejecting conduct like what I've described in the future

            > That situation aside, I've always
            felt that teams running a short roster or maxing out their shifts for the better players assume some risk of poor performance due to fatigue, as well as some increased injury issues.

            > Whatever is decided upon, I would
            just stress it be clearly communicated in the rules. Make sure all GM's are aware of it and held accountable evenly...

            Cheers,

            > Bill Corfield

            to get people's thoughts on this as it's been somewhat of an issue in some of my leagues. In one of my leagues we've got very strict rules on player usage, shift minimums and maximums, it seems to be a bit much at times and cause some conflict. In my other leagues there are no such limits in place, but I'm starting to have discussions with some GMs about whether it's worth placing some restrictions.

            > What are your thoughts? What's reasonable for an
            apba league? Should GMs be allowed to double shift their stars as much as they like, even improving their ice time 5 minutes or more over their game fatigue? Should teams be allowed to dress fewer than the maximum number of players, and/or leave players dressed but completely out of any lines (thus likely to not see more than a minute or two of ice time.)

            > How have other
            leagues handled this issue?

            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 21, 2013
              I played a player out of position

              Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:44 PM

              Cc: Bill Corfield

              Corfield wrote:

              > Brad-
              >

              > I'm the co-founder/co-commish of the CCHL and current
              commissioner of the LHL.

              > The LHL is a strict usage league, but
              we don't regulate how much a team may use a certain player within the context of a given game. Its a bit of a casual league by design and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

              > In the CCHL, its a bit of a different story. Again,
              we don't mandate shift minimums/maximums or watch player usage other than goalies, who get 125% of NHL actuals.

              > We recently ran into an
              issue where a long term GM in the league brashly began to bench his better players. Eventually we noticed, asked him about it, and were told basically "we all know who's going to win this season, why try?" We instructed him to put his best lineup back on the ice, which caused a bit of a fuss. This same GM then tried to sign a FA goalie, who was worse than his current goalies in order to lose more games, which would improve his draft position, thereby "helping his team."

              > Our rules stated that GM's must run their teams in a
              professional manner and implicitly said that the quality of competition was important. This rogue GM tried to exploit some vagueness in our rules and was summarily rejected. He even admitted his "tanking" to the league and let's just say the response wasn't a positive one. We've dealt with it, beefed up the language in our rules and moved on.

              > The
              league voted 21-0 in support of rejecting conduct like what I've described in the future

              > That situation aside, I've always
              felt that teams running a short roster or maxing out their shifts for the better players assume some risk of poor performance due to fatigue, as well as some increased injury issues.

              > Whatever is decided upon, I would
              just stress it be clearly communicated in the rules. Make sure all GM's are aware of it and held accountable evenly...

              Cheers,

              > Bill Corfield

              to get people's thoughts on this as it's been somewhat of an issue in some of my leagues. In one of my leagues we've got very strict rules on player usage, shift minimums and maximums, it seems to be a bit much at times and cause some conflict. In my other leagues there are no such limits in place, but I'm starting to have discussions with some GMs about whether it's worth placing some restrictions.

              > What are your thoughts? What's reasonable for an
              apba league? Should GMs be allowed to double shift their stars as much as they like, even improving their ice time 5 minutes or more over their game fatigue? Should teams be allowed to dress fewer than the maximum number of players, and/or leave players dressed but completely out of any lines (thus likely to not see more than a minute or two of ice time.)

              > How have other
              leagues handled this issue?

              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 21, 2013
                and the one league I quit between seasons.....SO !!!!

                Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:44 PM

                Cc: Bill Corfield

                Corfield wrote:

                > Brad-
                >

                > I'm the co-founder/co-commish of the CCHL and current
                commissioner of the LHL.

                > The LHL is a strict usage league, but
                we don't regulate how much a team may use a certain player within the context of a given game. Its a bit of a casual league by design and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

                > In the CCHL, its a bit of a different story. Again,
                we don't mandate shift minimums/maximums or watch player usage other than goalies, who get 125% of NHL actuals.

                > We recently ran into an
                issue where a long term GM in the league brashly began to bench his better players. Eventually we noticed, asked him about it, and were told basically "we all know who's going to win this season, why try?" We instructed him to put his best lineup back on the ice, which caused a bit of a fuss. This same GM then tried to sign a FA goalie, who was worse than his current goalies in order to lose more games, which would improve his draft position, thereby "helping his team."

                > Our rules stated that GM's must run their teams in a
                professional manner and implicitly said that the quality of competition was important. This rogue GM tried to exploit some vagueness in our rules and was summarily rejected. He even admitted his "tanking" to the league and let's just say the response wasn't a positive one. We've dealt with it, beefed up the language in our rules and moved on.

                > The
                league voted 21-0 in support of rejecting conduct like what I've described in the future

                > That situation aside, I've always
                felt that teams running a short roster or maxing out their shifts for the better players assume some risk of poor performance due to fatigue, as well as some increased injury issues.

                > Whatever is decided upon, I would
                just stress it be clearly communicated in the rules. Make sure all GM's are aware of it and held accountable evenly...

                Cheers,

                > Bill Corfield

                to get people's thoughts on this as it's been somewhat of an issue in some of my leagues. In one of my leagues we've got very strict rules on player usage, shift minimums and maximums, it seems to be a bit much at times and cause some conflict. In my other leagues there are no such limits in place, but I'm starting to have discussions with some GMs about whether it's worth placing some restrictions.

                > What are your thoughts? What's reasonable for an
                apba league? Should GMs be allowed to double shift their stars as much as they like, even improving their ice time 5 minutes or more over their game fatigue? Should teams be allowed to dress fewer than the maximum number of players, and/or leave players dressed but completely out of any lines (thus likely to not see more than a minute or two of ice time.)

                > How have other
                leagues handled this issue?

              • Bill Corfield
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 21, 2013
                  Tell the whole story Dave...

                  We informed you that you were not allowed to add positions to your players. You ignored us and continued to do it anyway at which point we removed you.

                  I don't need people who willfully ignore our rules or try to abuse them.

                  Corfield wrote:

                  > Brad-
                  >

                  > I'm the co-founder/co-commish of the CCHL and current
                  commissioner of the LHL.

                  > The LHL is a strict usage league, but
                  we don't regulate how much a team may use a certain player within the context of a given game. Its a bit of a casual league by design and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

                  > In the CCHL, its a bit of a different story. Again,
                  we don't mandate shift minimums/maximums or watch player usage other than goalies, who get 125% of NHL actuals.

                  > We recently ran into an
                  issue where a long term GM in the league brashly began to bench his better players. Eventually we noticed, asked him about it, and were told basically "we all know who's going to win this season, why try?" We instructed him to put his best lineup back on the ice, which caused a bit of a fuss. This same GM then tried to sign a FA goalie, who was worse than his current goalies in order to lose more games, which would improve his draft position, thereby "helping his team."

                  > Our rules stated that GM's must run their teams in a
                  professional manner and implicitly said that the quality of competition was important. This rogue GM tried to exploit some vagueness in our rules and was summarily rejected. He even admitted his "tanking" to the league and let's just say the response wasn't a positive one. We've dealt with it, beefed up the language in our rules and moved on.

                  > The
                  league voted 21-0 in support of rejecting conduct like what I've described in the future

                  > That situation aside, I've always
                  felt that teams running a short roster or maxing out their shifts for the better players assume some risk of poor performance due to fatigue, as well as some increased injury issues.

                  > Whatever is decided upon, I would
                  just stress it be clearly communicated in the rules. Make sure all GM's are aware of it and held accountable evenly...

                  Cheers,

                  > Bill Corfield

                  to get people's thoughts on this as it's been somewhat of an issue in some of my leagues. In one of my leagues we've got very strict rules on player usage, shift minimums and maximums, it seems to be a bit much at times and cause some conflict. In my other leagues there are no such limits in place, but I'm starting to have discussions with some GMs about whether it's worth placing some restrictions.

                  > What are your thoughts? What's reasonable for an
                  apba league? Should GMs be allowed to double shift their stars as much as they like, even improving their ice time 5 minutes or more over their game fatigue? Should teams be allowed to dress fewer than the maximum number of players, and/or leave players dressed but completely out of any lines (thus likely to not see more than a minute or two of ice time.)

                  > How have other
                  leagues handled this issue?

                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 21, 2013
                    I DIDN’T ADD POSITIONS....I MERELY USED A PLAYER AT LD INSTEAD
                    OF RD......for vicea versa....been winning your leagues BILL....d’oh.,..of
                    course you have

                    Cc: Bill Corfield

                    Corfield wrote:

                    > Brad-
                    >

                    > I'm the co-founder/co-commish of the CCHL and current
                    commissioner of the LHL.

                    > The LHL is a strict usage league, but
                    we don't regulate how much a team may use a certain player within the context of a given game. Its a bit of a casual league by design and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

                    > In the CCHL, its a bit of a different story. Again,
                    we don't mandate shift minimums/maximums or watch player usage other than goalies, who get 125% of NHL actuals.

                    > We recently ran into an
                    issue where a long term GM in the league brashly began to bench his better players. Eventually we noticed, asked him about it, and were told basically "we all know who's going to win this season, why try?" We instructed him to put his best lineup back on the ice, which caused a bit of a fuss. This same GM then tried to sign a FA goalie, who was worse than his current goalies in order to lose more games, which would improve his draft position, thereby "helping his team."

                    > Our rules stated that GM's must run their teams in a
                    professional manner and implicitly said that the quality of competition was important. This rogue GM tried to exploit some vagueness in our rules and was summarily rejected. He even admitted his "tanking" to the league and let's just say the response wasn't a positive one. We've dealt with it, beefed up the language in our rules and moved on.

                    > The
                    league voted 21-0 in support of rejecting conduct like what I've described in the future

                    > That situation aside, I've always
                    felt that teams running a short roster or maxing out their shifts for the better players assume some risk of poor performance due to fatigue, as well as some increased injury issues.

                    > Whatever is decided upon, I would
                    just stress it be clearly communicated in the rules. Make sure all GM's are aware of it and held accountable evenly...

                    Cheers,

                    > Bill Corfield

                    to get people's thoughts on this as it's been somewhat of an issue in some of my leagues. In one of my leagues we've got very strict rules on player usage, shift minimums and maximums, it seems to be a bit much at times and cause some conflict. In my other leagues there are no such limits in place, but I'm starting to have discussions with some GMs about whether it's worth placing some restrictions.

                    > What are your thoughts? What's reasonable for an
                    apba league? Should GMs be allowed to double shift their stars as much as they like, even improving their ice time 5 minutes or more over their game fatigue? Should teams be allowed to dress fewer than the maximum number of players, and/or leave players dressed but completely out of any lines (thus likely to not see more than a minute or two of ice time.)

                    > How have other
                    leagues handled this issue?

                  • Daniel Jeanson
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 21, 2013
                      In this league of yours I don't think the issue is a cap on games played, 125% is quite generous and doesn't cause any issues. By imposing strict limits on # of shifts or even number of dressed players makes it difficult to maintain a roster and especially for possible trades. It is difficult to trade away some players, especially players of different positions since you have to worry about maintaining your shifts. I have found from experience that increasing the number of shits, even dramatically, often does not increase your player's ice-time. I have Chara on my team and I have often tried to increase his shifts but without any real big increase in ice-time. If there is any change I don't think it makes much of a difference on how your team performs. Having the maximum games makes the biggest difference, not shift times or even the amount of dressed players. I'm sure it would be a lot easier on league management if all they had to worry was overuse on games played and not by micromanaging shifts and dressed players.

                      Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:26

                      href="mailto:hockeydisk%40yahoogroups.com">hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com [mailto:hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of D. Atkinson

                      To: hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com

                      Cc: Bill Corfield

                      Corfield wrote:

                      > Brad-
                      >

                      > I'm the co-founder/co-commish of the CCHL and current
                      commissioner of the LHL.

                      > The LHL is a strict usage league, but
                      we don't regulate how much a team may use a certain player within the context of a given game. Its a bit of a casual league by design and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

                      > In the CCHL, its a bit of a different story. Again,
                      we don't mandate shift minimums/maximums or watch player usage other than goalies, who get 125% of NHL actuals.

                      > We recently ran into an
                      issue where a long term GM in the league brashly began to bench his better players. Eventually we noticed, asked him about it, and were told basically "we all know who's going to win this season, why try?" We instructed him to put his best lineup back on the ice, which caused a bit of a fuss. This same GM then tried to sign a FA goalie, who was worse than his current goalies in order to lose more games, which would improve his draft position, thereby "helping his team."

                      > Our rules stated that GM's must run their teams in a
                      professional manner and implicitly said that the quality of competition was important. This rogue GM tried to exploit some vagueness in our rules and was summarily rejected. He even admitted his "tanking" to the league and let's just say the response wasn't a positive one. We've dealt with it, beefed up the language in our rules and moved on.

                      > The
                      league voted 21-0 in support of rejecting conduct like what I've described in the future

                      > That situation aside, I've always
                      felt that teams running a short roster or maxing out their shifts for the better players assume some risk of poor performance due to fatigue, as well as some increased injury issues.

                      > Whatever is decided upon, I would
                      just stress it be clearly communicated in the rules. Make sure all GM's are aware of it and held accountable evenly...

                      Cheers,

                      > Bill Corfield

                      to get people's thoughts on this as it's been somewhat of an issue in some of my leagues. In one of my leagues we've got very strict rules on player usage, shift minimums and maximums, it seems to be a bit much at times and cause some conflict. In my other leagues there are no such limits in place, but I'm starting to have discussions with some GMs about whether it's worth placing some restrictions.

                      > What are your thoughts? What's reasonable for an
                      apba league? Should GMs be allowed to double shift their stars as much as they like, even improving their ice time 5 minutes or more over their game fatigue? Should teams be allowed to dress fewer than the maximum number of players, and/or leave players dressed but completely out of any lines (thus likely to not see more than a minute or two of ice time.)

                      > How have other
                      leagues handled this issue?

                    • Chris Wolter
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 21, 2013
                        dan, would you reiterate what increasing the number of shits actually does?
                        chris

                        Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:26

                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 21, 2013
                          Makes you lighter and skate faster.

                          Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 14:07

                          Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:26

                          Guys, I appreciate the feedback. In this case, it's not tanking that's the issue at all, it's the opposite...exploiting a guy with low GF but who overperforms in APBA, and having him play way too many minutes. And it's not just one team, it's just sort of a standard in the league, I'm one of the biggest 'culprits'. So I just wanted to get a feel for what people's thoughts were, should stricter limits be set in place to keep minutes played more in line?

                          We have injuries off, that's part of the issue (as I understand it a player is more likely to be injured if he goes over his GF). But I'm not going to start using injuries, it makes it much more time consuming for everyone and this is a league the relies on simplicity.

                          --- In mailto:hockeydisk%40yahoogroups.com, "Herb Garbutt" wrote:

                          > Last season, the team in second last
                          signed a bad free agent goalie (actually two, after the first one got hurt). I tried to discourage him by giving him the history of how few times the last place team actually got the first pick. He continued anyway and his tanking worked, he dropped to last. In a case of poetic justice, the team that finished second last won the draft lottery.

                          > Our draft
                          lottery, not only selects the first overall pick, but all five non-playoff team spots. And that order holds through every round.

                          > As far as usage, we don’t have any rules about shifts. We have one
                          team that has little depth and goes 19-16-4-1. He eventually got a long-term injury to his No.2 centre and it has really hurt his team.

                          > Herb

                          target=_blank ymailto="mailto:hockeydisk%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:hockeydisk%40yahoogroups.com

                          Cc: Bill Corfield

                          Corfield wrote:

                          > Brad-
                          >

                          > I'm the co-founder/co-commish of the CCHL and current
                          commissioner of the LHL.

                          > The LHL is a strict usage league, but
                          we don't regulate how much a team may use a certain player within the context of a given game. Its a bit of a casual league by design and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

                          > In the CCHL, its a bit of a different story. Again,
                          we don't mandate shift minimums/maximums or watch player usage other than goalies, who get 125% of NHL actuals.

                          > We recently ran into an
                          issue where a long term GM in the league brashly began to bench his better players. Eventually we noticed, asked him about it, and were told basically "we all know who's going to win this season, why try?" We instructed him to put his best lineup back on the ice, which caused a bit of a fuss. This same GM then tried to sign a FA goalie, who was worse than his current goalies in order to lose more games, which would improve his draft position, thereby "helping his team."

                          > Our rules stated that GM's must run their teams in a
                          professional manner and implicitly said that the quality of competition was important. This rogue GM tried to exploit some vagueness in our rules and was summarily rejected. He even admitted his "tanking" to the league and let's just say the response wasn't a positive one. We've dealt with it, beefed up the language in our rules and moved on.

                          > The
                          league voted 21-0 in support of rejecting conduct like what I've described in the future

                          > That situation aside, I've always
                          felt that teams running a short roster or maxing out their shifts for the better players assume some risk of poor performance due to fatigue, as well as some increased injury issues.

                          > Whatever is decided upon, I would
                          just stress it be clearly communicated in the rules. Make sure all GM's are aware of it and held accountable evenly...

                          Cheers,

                          > Bill Corfield

                          to get people's thoughts on this as it's been somewhat of an issue in some of my leagues. In one of my leagues we've got very strict rules on player usage, shift minimums and maximums, it seems to be a bit much at times and cause some conflict. In my other leagues there are no such limits in place, but I'm starting to have discussions with some GMs about whether it's worth placing some restrictions.

                          > What are your thoughts? What's reasonable for an
                          apba league? Should GMs be allowed to double shift their stars as much as they like, even improving their ice time 5 minutes or more over their game fatigue? Should teams be allowed to dress fewer than the maximum number of players, and/or leave players dressed but completely out of any lines (thus likely to not see more than a minute or two of ice time.)

                          > How have other
                          leagues handled this issue?

                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 21, 2013
                            roflmao

                            Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:25 PM

                            Makes you lighter and skate faster.

                            Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 14:07

                            Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:26

                            Cc: Bill Corfield

                            Corfield wrote:

                            > Brad-
                            >

                            > I'm the co-founder/co-commish of the CCHL and current
                            commissioner of the LHL.

                            > The LHL is a strict usage league, but
                            we don't regulate how much a team may use a certain player within the context of a given game. Its a bit of a casual league by design and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

                            > In the CCHL, its a bit of a different story. Again,
                            we don't mandate shift minimums/maximums or watch player usage other than goalies, who get 125% of NHL actuals.

                            > We recently ran into an
                            issue where a long term GM in the league brashly began to bench his better players. Eventually we noticed, asked him about it, and were told basically "we all know who's going to win this season, why try?" We instructed him to put his best lineup back on the ice, which caused a bit of a fuss. This same GM then tried to sign a FA goalie, who was worse than his current goalies in order to lose more games, which would improve his draft position, thereby "helping his team."

                            > Our rules stated that GM's must run their teams in a
                            professional manner and implicitly said that the quality of competition was important. This rogue GM tried to exploit some vagueness in our rules and was summarily rejected. He even admitted his "tanking" to the league and let's just say the response wasn't a positive one. We've dealt with it, beefed up the language in our rules and moved on.

                            > The
                            league voted 21-0 in support of rejecting conduct like what I've described in the future

                            > That situation aside, I've always
                            felt that teams running a short roster or maxing out their shifts for the better players assume some risk of poor performance due to fatigue, as well as some increased injury issues.

                            > Whatever is decided upon, I would
                            just stress it be clearly communicated in the rules. Make sure all GM's are aware of it and held accountable evenly...

                            Cheers,

                            > Bill Corfield

                            to get people's thoughts on this as it's been somewhat of an issue in some of my leagues. In one of my leagues we've got very strict rules on player usage, shift minimums and maximums, it seems to be a bit much at times and cause some conflict. In my other leagues there are no such limits in place, but I'm starting to have discussions with some GMs about whether it's worth placing some restrictions.

                            > What are your thoughts? What's reasonable for an
                            apba league? Should GMs be allowed to double shift their stars as much as they like, even improving their ice time 5 minutes or more over their game fatigue? Should teams be allowed to dress fewer than the maximum number of players, and/or leave players dressed but completely out of any lines (thus likely to not see more than a minute or two of ice time.)

                            > How have other
                            leagues handled this issue?

                          • Chris Wolter
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 21, 2013
                              classic

                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 21, 2013

                                Translation: You did something that was explicitly against the rules, and therefore which no other owner was allowed to do.

                                Correction me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the very definition of cheating?

                                I am in the league in which this went down, and I, as one among many, was not fond of your attempts to break the rules and gain an unfair advantage on the rest of the league.

                                I'm not a fan of getting involved in weird, public spats like this, to be honest.  But screw it.  Dave, so long as you're looking to use this venue to take unwarranted potshots at people with no provocation whatsoever, I think it's important and appropriate the audience you seek get a third-person perspective on the situation.  Here it is:

                                YOU CHEATED.

                                YOU GOT CAUGHT.

                                GET OVER IT.

                                You got pissed off at the guy who caught you and this is you stamping your feet and holding your breath in a venue in which that sort of behavior is pathetic and inappropriate.

                                Grow up, dude.

                                Joe DeAngelis

                                Corfield wrote:

                                > Brad-
                                >

                                > I'm the co-founder/co-commish of the CCHL and current
                                commissioner of the LHL.

                                > The LHL is a strict usage league, but
                                we don't regulate how much a team may use a certain player within the context of a given game. Its a bit of a casual league by design and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

                                > In the CCHL, its a bit of a different story. Again,
                                we don't mandate shift minimums/maximums or watch player usage other than goalies, who get 125% of NHL actuals.

                                > We recently ran into an
                                issue where a long term GM in the league brashly began to bench his better players. Eventually we noticed, asked him about it, and were told basically "we all know who's going to win this season, why try?" We instructed him to put his best lineup back on the ice, which caused a bit of a fuss. This same GM then tried to sign a FA goalie, who was worse than his current goalies in order to lose more games, which would improve his draft position, thereby "helping his team."

                                > Our rules stated that GM's must run their teams in a
                                professional manner and implicitly said that the quality of competition was important. This rogue GM tried to exploit some vagueness in our rules and was summarily rejected. He even admitted his "tanking" to the league and let's just say the response wasn't a positive one. We've dealt with it, beefed up the language in our rules and moved on.

                                > The
                                league voted 21-0 in support of rejecting conduct like what I've described in the future

                                > That situation aside, I've always
                                felt that teams running a short roster or maxing out their shifts for the better players assume some risk of poor performance due to fatigue, as well as some increased injury issues.

                                > Whatever is decided upon, I would
                                just stress it be clearly communicated in the rules. Make sure all GM's are aware of it and held accountable evenly...

                                Cheers,

                                > Bill Corfield

                                to get people's thoughts on this as it's been somewhat of an issue in some of my leagues. In one of my leagues we've got very strict rules on player usage, shift minimums and maximums, it seems to be a bit much at times and cause some conflict. In my other leagues there are no such limits in place, but I'm starting to have discussions with some GMs about whether it's worth placing some restrictions.

                                > What are your thoughts? What's reasonable for an
                                apba league? Should GMs be allowed to double shift their stars as much as they like, even improving their ice time 5 minutes or more over their game fatigue? Should teams be allowed to dress fewer than the maximum number of players, and/or leave players dressed but completely out of any lines (thus likely to not see more than a minute or two of ice time.)

                                > How have other
                                leagues handled this issue?

                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 21, 2013
                                  you must be the sargent at arms for Bill....ROFLMFAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                  I DIDN’T ADD POSITIONS....I MERELY USED A PLAYER AT LD INSTEAD
                                  OF RD......for vicea versa....been winning your leagues BILL....d’oh.,..of
                                  course you have

                                  I'd be careful Mr. Bole lest I explain to the group why you're not in any of my leagues any more...

                                  If I was you, I'd let sleeping digs lie...

                                  Bill Corfield

                                  all of your championships should feel cheesy
                                  davebole

                                  Guys, I appreciate the feedback. In this case, it's not tanking that's the issue at all, it's the opposite...exploiting a guy with low GF but who overperforms in APBA, and having him play way too many minutes. And it's not just one team, it's just sort of a standard in the league, I'm one of the biggest 'culprits'. So I just wanted to get a feel for what people's thoughts were, should stricter limits be set in place to keep minutes played more in line?

                                  We have injuries off, that's part of the issue (as I understand it a player is more likely to be injured if he goes over his GF). But I'm not going to start using injuries, it makes it much more time consuming for everyone and this is a league the relies on simplicity.

                                  --- In mailto:hockeydisk%40yahoogroups.com, "Herb Garbutt" wrote:

                                  > Last season, the team in second last
                                  signed a bad free agent goalie (actually two, after the first one got hurt). I tried to discourage him by giving him the history of how few times the last place team actually got the first pick. He continued anyway and his tanking worked, he dropped to last. In a case of poetic justice, the team that finished second last won the draft lottery.

                                  > Our draft
                                  lottery, not only selects the first overall pick, but all five non-playoff team spots. And that order holds through every round.

                                  > As far as usage, we donât have any rules about shifts. We have one team
                                  that has little depth and goes 19-16-4-1. He eventually got a long-term injury to his No.2 centre and it has really hurt his team.

                                  > Herb

                                  href="mailto:hockeydisk%40yahoogroups.com" rel=nofollow target=_blank ymailto="mailto:hockeydisk%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:hockeydisk%40yahoogroups.com [mailto:mailto:hockeydisk%40yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of D. Atkinson

                                  Cc: Bill Corfield

                                  Corfield wrote:

                                  > Brad-
                                  >

                                  > I'm the co-founder/co-commish of the CCHL and current
                                  commissioner of the LHL.

                                  > The LHL is a strict usage league, but
                                  we don't regulate how much a team may use a certain player within the context of a given game. Its a bit of a casual league by design and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

                                  > In the CCHL, its a bit of a different story. Again,
                                  we don't mandate shift minimums/maximums or watch player usage other than goalies, who get 125% of NHL actuals.

                                  > We recently ran into an
                                  issue where a long term GM in the league brashly began to bench his better players. Eventually we noticed, asked him about it, and were told basically "we all know who's going to win this season, why try?" We instructed him to put his best lineup back on the ice, which caused a bit of a fuss. This same GM then tried to sign a FA goalie, who was worse than his current goalies in order to lose more games, which would improve his draft position, thereby "helping his team."

                                  > Our rules stated that GM's must run their teams in a
                                  professional manner and implicitly said that the quality of competition was important. This rogue GM tried to exploit some vagueness in our rules and was summarily rejected. He even admitted his "tanking" to the league and let's just say the response wasn't a positive one. We've dealt with it, beefed up the language in our rules and moved on.

                                  > The
                                  league voted 21-0 in support of rejecting conduct like what I've described in the future

                                  > That situation aside, I've always
                                  felt that teams running a short roster or maxing out their shifts for the better players assume some risk of poor performance due to fatigue, as well as some increased injury issues.

                                  > Whatever is decided upon, I would
                                  just stress it be clearly communicated in the rules. Make sure all GM's are aware of it and held accountable evenly...

                                  Cheers,

                                  > Bill Corfield

                                  to get people's thoughts on this as it's been somewhat of an issue in some of my leagues. In one of my leagues we've got very strict rules on player usage, shift minimums and maximums, it seems to be a bit much at times and cause some conflict. In my other leagues there are no such limits in place, but I'm starting to have discussions with some GMs about whether it's worth placing some restrictions.

                                  > What are your thoughts? What's reasonable for an
                                  apba league? Should GMs be allowed to double shift their stars as much as they like, even improving their ice time 5 minutes or more over their game fatigue? Should teams be allowed to dress fewer than the maximum number of players, and/or leave players dressed but completely out of any lines (thus likely to not see more than a minute or two of ice time.)

                                  > How have other
                                  leagues handled this issue?

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 21, 2013
                                    At this point, I'm going to ask all to cool the flame war.
                                    I leave it all with this thought:

                                    It is up to the commissioner and league members of a league to decide what behavior is acceptable for their league.
                                    If a league's members and leadership deem that behavior is "not conducive to the league's interests", they should not hesitate to toss someone from their league.  If it is a long time, valued league member with the transgression, work through it, or change the league rules (I've had to do that as a commish). If you were the one pushing the limits and were called out by the league, deal with it. Odds are very high that you were doing something borderline ethical, or at the least, not in the spirit of sportsmanship. If one must win at all costs, there are lots of other online activities where one can massage one's ego.....that's the joy of the internet.

                                    On 2/21/2013 1:43 PM, Dave Bole wrote:

                                    you must be the sargent at arms for Bill....ROFLMFAO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                                    I DIDN’T ADD POSITIONS....I MERELY USED A PLAYER AT LD INSTEAD
                                    OF RD......for vicea versa....been winning your leagues BILL....d’oh.,..of
                                    course you have

                                    I'd be careful Mr. Bole lest I explain to the group why you're not in any of my leagues any more...

                                    If I was you, I'd let sleeping digs lie...

                                    Bill Corfield

                                    all of your championships should feel cheesy
                                    davebole

                                    Guys, I appreciate the feedback. In this case, it's not tanking that's the issue at all, it's the opposite...exploiting a guy with low GF but who overperforms in APBA, and having him play way too many minutes. And it's not just one team, it's just sort of a standard in the league, I'm one of the biggest 'culprits'. So I just wanted to get a feel for what people's thoughts were, should stricter limits be set in place to keep minutes played more in line?

                                    We have injuries off, that's part of the issue (as I understand it a player is more likely to be injured if he goes over his GF). But I'm not going to start using injuries, it makes it much more time consuming for everyone and this is a league the relies on simplicity.

                                    --- In mailto:hockeydisk%40yahoogroups.com, "Herb Garbutt" wrote:

                                    > Last season, the team in second last signed a bad free agent goalie (actually two, after the first one got hurt). I tried to discourage him by giving him the history of how few times the last place team actually got the first pick. He continued anyway and his tanking worked, he dropped to last. In a case of poetic justice, the team that finished second last won the draft lottery.
                                    >

                                    > Our draft lottery, not only selects the first overall pick, but all five non-playoff team spots. And that order holds through every round.
                                    >

                                    > As far as usage, we donât have any rules about shifts. We have one team that has little depth and goes 19-16-4-1. He eventually got a long-term injury to his No.2 centre and it has really hurt his team.
                                    >

                                    > Herb

                                    (Message over 64 KB, truncated)