RE: [hockeydisk] Question for other Commissioners...

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5 6:52 PM

      Hey Bill,

      We have had teams do this in our league….not so much sitting players but signing a free agent goalie and playing him down the stretch. While we don’t have a rule against it, I try to discourage it with our draft lottery.

      All non-playoff teams have a shot at the number one pick.  We have 13 teams. Last gets a 33% chance (5 out of 15); 12th gets 27% (4 out of 15); 11th gets 20% (3 of 15); 10th gets 13% (2 of 15); 9th gets 7% (1 of 15). We draw for all five positions, not just the No. 1. The drawn draft position remains through all rounds, not just the first round. In about 9 years since we put the lottery in place, the last place team has only got the first pick twice. So there’s not a lot of advantage to tanking.

      This past year, a team tanked to finish last….the 12th place team got the first pick. So if he had just stayed where he was, he would have got the first pick.

      Herb