Question for other Commissioners...

  • Bill Corfield
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2013
      Hi gang,

       Curious what, if anything, other leagues have in place regarding the issue of competition quality. This involves mostly teams setting lines that don't utilize their better players.

       Setting lines is a pretty subjective thing, but at some point if you notice a team has benched several of its better players, and injuries aren't a concern, it catches your eye, you know?

       I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who have addressed this issue or even some suggestions for how to address within a set of rules.

      Thanks,

      Bill Corfield
      CCHL, LHL, WHA
    • rpansini
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2013
        Bill - I have never encountered that problem.  It is hard to enforce, even in real life situations.  There are plenty of pro teams that sandbag at the end of the season or even during the season.  Especially in these types of leagues when you know who is available in the draft and know his professional future.

        If you ever question my lineup please let me know.  I do this for fun and enjoy setting lines and putting the best team forward win or lose.  Sometimes I draft for the future but I think that is acceptable.

        RP

        Sent from Windows Mail

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2013
          Ryan-

           I've never had an issue with your lines or draft strategy. You've been a fine GM in the league and hope you stick around for a long time...

           Its more of a general question to prevent a situation from arising in the future ...

          Bill Corfield

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 5, 2013

            Hey Bill,

            We have had teams do this in our league….not so much sitting players but signing a free agent goalie and playing him down the stretch. While we don’t have a rule against it, I try to discourage it with our draft lottery.

            All non-playoff teams have a shot at the number one pick.  We have 13 teams. Last gets a 33% chance (5 out of 15); 12th gets 27% (4 out of 15); 11th gets 20% (3 of 15); 10th gets 13% (2 of 15); 9th gets 7% (1 of 15). We draw for all five positions, not just the No. 1. The drawn draft position remains through all rounds, not just the first round. In about 9 years since we put the lottery in place, the last place team has only got the first pick twice. So there’s not a lot of advantage to tanking.

            This past year, a team tanked to finish last….the 12th place team got the first pick. So if he had just stayed where he was, he would have got the first pick.

            Herb