[hockeydisk] Re: APBA realism

  • Brett Hall
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 13, 1999
      They are already there actually. There are 'hidden' ratings which
      rate the player on how many shots he takes actually go on goal or
      do not or are left up to their defender to decide.

      With the latest disk by the disk team, they pretty much abandoned
      the default formulae that determined these 'hidden' ratings
      because, as you pointed out, players with very high scoring %s
      tended to score too often.

      The hidden ratings can be viewed/modified with a program called
      APHComm. If you don't have it, then you can go to
      http://members.tripod.com/~othl and grab it.

      I think there may be a decent explanation of the hidden ratings
      there as well.

      > I am new to this group but have been replaying my favorite team's
      > season
      > with APBA hockey for a couple of years. The one major problem I have
      > encountered with the replay realism is that there is no rating for a
      > player's ability to get shots on goal. The SOG stats are more a
      > product of a teams overall ability to keep the puck in the opponent's
      > zone. As a result, players with a high scoring percentage who play
      > alot of minutes lead the league in scoring (Anson Carter, Niklas
      > Sundstrom,etc.). Real-life high scorers with lower scoring
      > percentages but many more shots on goal lag behind (Theo Fleury, Paul
      > Kariya, etc.). Has anyone with the expertise ever tried to put
      > together some kind of patch or add-on to give players a shot ability
      > (or willingness to shoot) rating? I think this would greatly improve
      > the game's realism.

      Brett

      St. Louis Mustangs (GHMHL)
      St. Louis Sting (WWAHL)
      St. Louis Ice Lords (NWHL)
    • Brett Hall
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 13, 1999
        Dave, when are you closing up the potato farm and updating our
        favourite hockey game? <g>

        Seriously though, what is the status of it these days? Will they
        allow you to do a freely distributable update or no?

        > Actually, there is a shot on goal rating. It's one of the hidden
        > ratings. There is only one problem with it, and that is players that
        > take alot of shots and get alot of assists. There is only so many puck
        > possessions to go around, and it is difficult to get the Jagr/Kariya
        > types enough shots AND assists combined. Also, alot depends upon how
        > you play. If you aren't using stock NHL teams and are building teams
        > from scratch, the teammates and line combinations can effect SOG.
        > Remember, there is a somewhat constant pool of puck possessions....if
        > you have Kariya, Jagr, and Lindros on the same line, all will come up
        > short in SOG and assists.
        >
        > Dave

        > -- A Proud Member of the One & Only Associate Network
        > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1709

        > -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=hockeydisk&m=1

        Brett

        St. Louis Mustangs (GHMHL)
        St. Louis Sting (WWAHL)
        St. Louis Ice Lords (NWHL)
      • D. A. Atkinson
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 23, 1999
          Brett Hall wrote:

          > Dave, when are you closing up the potato farm and updating our
          > favourite hockey game? <g>
          >
          > Seriously though, what is the status of it these days? Will they
          > allow you to do a freely distributable update or no?
          >
          > Brett
          >
          > St. Louis Mustangs (GHMHL)
          > St. Louis Sting (WWAHL)
          > St. Louis Ice Lords (NWHL)

          I haven't had the discussions on an update with APBA yet. I got the
          feeling on the last update that they were about done with the game, being
          an antiquated DOS thing and all. However, there is still a fairly strong
          following and the game could still use some tweaks, as well as the
          addition of the new 4 on 4 rules. I'll try to find out what's going to
          happen and let you guys know. Don't expect anything before the fall,
          however.