Re: [hockeydisk] Digest Number 1221

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 26, 2012
      Yes!!

      From: Zak Davis <ovfhl@...>
      Sender: hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 15:15:04 -0700 (PDT)
      To: hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com<hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [hockeydisk] Digest Number 1221

      Voting begins immediately?

      Zak Davis
      OVFHL Commissioner

      From: "hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com" <hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com>
      To: hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:51 AM
      Subject: [hockeydisk] Digest Number 1221

      Messages In This Digest (3 Messages)

      1a.
      upcoming disk rating process From: D. Atkinson
      1b.
      Re: upcoming disk rating process From: Chris Wolter
      1c.
      Re: upcoming disk rating process From: D. Atkinson

      Messages

      1a.

      upcoming disk rating process

      Posted by: "D. Atkinson" boomhound@...   mambodoggie

      Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:39 pm (PDT)

      All:
      After some of the difficulties of the rating process from past years
      becoming unworkable going foward, we decided to implement a new system
      for building the disk this year. There are multiple phases to it, to
      ensure some redundancy (and provide us some analysis fodder to an even
      better job next year), but there still is the need for the APBA
      community to provide some strong ratings input knowledge to the disk. To
      that end, Ken Danila has formulated and coded a "dichotomous voting
      system" that will provide all the details that the team needs in a nice,
      simple, web based format.
      "What's a dichotomous voting system?" you might ask. For those of you
      familiar with The Social Network movie, it essentially FaceSmash for NHL
      players. You are given a category and two players and asked who you
      think is "better" in that category. If you are unsure, you can skip it
      and move to the next. It's fun and addictive.
      One caveat: we need a LOT of results (over 26,000) to generate accurate
      ratings. The more we get, the more accurate the ratings will be. So
      we're going to be inviting as many knowledgeable hockey people as we can
      find to participate, asking them to vote as many times as they can. The
      site is smartphone friendly, so it's easy to knock out a few dozen votes
      on your commute (if you take public transit), during your lunch, in a
      waiting room, etc. Even though you'll place a ton of votes, accuracy is
      still very important, so please use the 'I don't know' button liberally!
      To sign up, visit the voting site at http://rate. hbmhl.com/ and click
      the 'Request access' link. We're still in a 'controlled release' stage,
      so please report any errors or oddities you come across by using the
      link on the site.
      Thanks again to all that help keep the APBA disk quality high. Your
      input on this will be very valuable in getting out a top notch disk
      again this year.

      1b.

      Re: upcoming disk rating process

      Posted by: "Chris Wolter" dadadove@...   dadadove

      Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:11 pm (PDT)

      Dave,

      This sounds very interesting and I have a few questions.

      Has something like this been used before to create ratings that are used to form the basis of a game?

      Do similar players get compared or can drastically different players be compared with one another?

      What if you're not satisfied with the results?

      Chris Wolter

      ____________ _________ _________ __
[...]

      Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:12 pm (PDT)

      I don't know if anything like this has been used before.
      It's an experiment.
      The player selection is random, so both similar and drastically
      different players get compared. It should all balance out in the
      wash....that' s the beauty of random selection statistics.

      If we're not satisfied with the results, we have other redundant
      processes running to ensure that we have a great disk no matter
      what.

      From: D. Atkinson <boomhound@gmail. com>
      http://rate. hbmhl.com/ <http://rate. hbmhl.com/> and click
      the 'Request access' link. We're still in a
      'controlled release' stage,
      so please report any errors or oddities you come
      across by using the
      link on the site.
      Thanks again to all that help keep the APBA disk
      quality high. Your
      input on this will be very valuable in getting
      out a top notch disk
      again this year.

      Recent Activity
        Visit Your Group