[hockeydisk] Re: Questions

  • Brett Hall
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 28, 1999
      > In version 4, the "[" and "]" keys are used for rough adjustment, and
      > the "-" and "+" keys can then be used for fine adjustment. It
      > shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 taps of the "[" key to slow things
      > down a ton.

      This was the case until I upgraded to a P-III 500, but now it takes
      about 20 <g>.

      I wish it would use the txtspd.cfg like v3 did (hint hint). Otherwise
      v4 does take care of a few problems. Only lingering bug I've
      noticed is that sometimes the program gets confused as to which
      offencive zone the puck is in, e.g. you'll be fending off a forecheck
      in your own zone, emerge with the puck from behind your net and
      then you're automagically at the other end of the ice taking shots
      at the opposing goalie. Scotty Niedermayer isn't *that* fast is he?
      <g>

      The puck indicator at the bottom of the screen is still correctly
      positioned in your defencive zone however.

      Brett

      St. Louis Mustangs (GHMHL)
      St. Louis Sting (WWAHL)
      St. Louis Ice Lords (NWHL)
    • D. A. Atkinson
      Message 2 of 23 , Dec 22, 1999
        Brett Hall wrote:

        > > In version 4, the "[" and "]" keys are used for rough adjustment, and
        > > the "-" and "+" keys can then be used for fine adjustment. It
        > > shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 taps of the "[" key to slow things
        > > down a ton.
        >
        > This was the case until I upgraded to a P-III 500, but now it takes
        > about 20 <g>.

        Sorry it took so long to get back to your question....I've been swamped and
        have fallen way way behind on my email replies. I'm hoping to get caught
        up on my stuffed inbox over the holidays.

        I added the "[" and "]" keys to offset the discrepancies in speed between
        different machines. In the old days, a 486-33 was just a few times
        faster than a 286-12. But nowadays, we have people still using 286's
        to play the game, but others have PIII-500's, and the speed difference
        is gigantic. The addition of the extra keys was to allow for more range
        of adjustment.

        > I wish it would use the txtspd.cfg like v3 did (hint hint).

        Yeah, I blew that one. When I added the extra loop (the [ & ]
        keys are just nested outside the + & - keys, I think I lost the
        txtspd.cfg read somewhere. I need to add that back in. Also,
        I'll add a permanent save when a game is saved so that the game
        goes back to the set speed EVERY time, not just when restarting
        a saved game.

        > Otherwise
        > v4 does take care of a few problems. Only lingering bug I've
        > noticed is that sometimes the program gets confused as to which
        > offencive zone the puck is in, e.g. you'll be fending off a forecheck
        > in your own zone, emerge with the puck from behind your net and
        > then you're automagically at the other end of the ice taking shots
        > at the opposing goalie. Scotty Niedermayer isn't *that* fast is he?
        > <g>

        Yeah, that one I've seen quite a few times recently. Just a subscript
        missed, I'll have to hunt it down. It only occurs in two different
        play scenarios that I've seen.

        > The puck indicator at the bottom of the screen is still correctly
        > positioned in your defencive zone however.

        Yep, I just need to tie the puck zone subscript back to the text
        zone subscript.

        Dave
      • SV206@aol.com
        Message 3 of 23 , Dec 23, 1999
          Dave,
          Do we know if there will be a patch to adjust for the new OT format? That
          will be huge...
          Steve
        • D. A. Atkinson
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 23, 1999
            SV206@... wrote:

            > Dave,
            > Do we know if there will be a patch to adjust for the new OT format? That
            > will be huge...
            > Steve

            No patch. There may be an upgrade in the fall that would include the new OT
            format,
            and I'm working that issue right now. I'll keep you informed.

            Dave
          • tds
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 14, 2000
              Can anyone tell me how the rookie rating has an affect in APBA?

              Tim Stewart
              SSHL Commissioner

              "D. A. Atkinson" wrote:

              mark wendling wrote:

              > Some of the differences I have noticed are:
              >
              > 1) a heck of a lot more assists given out. We had a player hit the 100
              > assist mark for the first time in our league's history. The player was
              > Messier, and we run a 24 team league so that was an anomoly we figure.

              Yup. Low assist totals were a long time major complaint. Version 4 helps
              that, but doesn't fix it totally. Players that get alot of shots and assists
              still
              come out very low (like Jagr).

              > 2) there is a scouting report, which is interesting

              Correct.

              > 3) there is a function I have not used to fill in spaces for lines if a team
              > doesnt have them

              Correct. Many people use Jeff Kraus' great APHComm program instead,
              but this was a deficiency in the game itself (ability to edit default lines
              outside
              of a game) that needed to be fixed.

              > 4) I think there is some new verbage for the games

              Not really...but some of the calcs have been changed to make the more
              obscure verbage show up a bit more.

              > Those were the noticable things we found in our league off the top of my
              > head....

              There were a number of bug fixes...many people won't notice, but some
              that were major headaches. For example, it should be nearly impossible
              to get a non-goalie jumping in goal during a game, a common occurance
              in version 3. Also, the text speed thing mentioned in my previous note
              was added.

              Accurate impartial advice on everything from laptops to tablesaws.
              http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1701

              -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=hockeydisk&m=1

            • Brett Hall
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 18, 2000
                > Can anyone tell me how the rookie rating has an affect in APBA?

                The rookie rating doesn't have an effect on a player's performance.
                It's there mainly for the award.exe program I believe.

                Brett

                St. Louis Mustangs (GHMHL)
                St. Louis Sting (WWAHL)
                St. Louis Ice Lords (NWHL)
              • mark wendling
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 19, 2000
                  That is interesting because I have seen rookies tend to go streaky moreso
                  than the other players. Just an observation after playing the game for 5
                  years, nothing to back it up with...

                  >From: "Brett Hall" <bhall@...>
                  >To: hockeydisk@egroups.com
                  >Subject: [hockeydisk] Re: Questions
                  >Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 23:21:14 -0600
                  >

                  > > Can anyone tell me how the rookie rating has an affect in APBA?
                  >
                  >The rookie rating doesn't have an effect on a player's performance.
                  >It's there mainly for the award.exe program I believe.
                  >
                  >Brett
                  >
                  >St. Louis Mustangs (GHMHL)
                  >St. Louis Sting (WWAHL)
                  >St. Louis Ice Lords (NWHL)

                  >For the fastest and easiest way to backup your files and, access them from
                  >anywhere. Try @backup Free for 30 days. Click here for a chance to win a
                  >digital camera.

                  >-- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/hockeydisk/?m=1

                • D. A. Atkinson
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 19, 2000
                    Brett Hall wrote:

                    > > Can anyone tell me how the rookie rating has an affect in APBA?
                    >
                    > The rookie rating doesn't have an effect on a player's performance.
                    > It's there mainly for the award.exe program I believe.
                    >
                    > Brett

                    Correct.