Re: [hockeydisk] An Idea

  • Matt Young
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 8 7:10 AM
      Please include me in rating teams herb.

      Matt young

      Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone

      From: "Herb Garbutt" <herbgarbutt@...>
      Sender: hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 10:08:03 -0400
      To: <hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [hockeydisk] An Idea

      Hey Jeff,

      Work is already underway…from my end anyway. I’ve been working on positions and hope to have them done today.  Once that is done, I’m going to start rating rookies and start sending out teams for review.

      Herb

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 8 1:28 PM
        same here.
        DAVE BOLE

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 8 5:40 PM
          herb I would love a copy of the current player listing

          thanks
          paul canosa

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 8 6:58 PM
            Did you guys create a disk for the 2010 Olympics? For that matter, did you also do 2006 and 2002? The last olympic disk I got was 1998 and it just had 8 teams. Would appreciate any of these disks if available.

            Thank you,
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 8 7:16 PM
              Nope.
              The team doesn't know enough about many of the teams' personnel to make decent judgements, plus we're not sure what to use for stats.

              Jeff wrote:

              Did you guys create a disk for the 2010 Olympics? For that matter, did you also do 2006 and 2002? The last olympic disk I got was 1998 and it just had 8 teams. Would appreciate any of these disks if available.

              Thank you,
              Jeff

            • Jeff
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 8 7:39 PM
                Actually, your reason for not doing them is also the reason I wouldnt really care for one in terms of the stats being just for the actual results. There are just too few games. But the real interest for me anyway would be a disk that has seasonal stats for players so they are accurate. Its not so much a replay I would hope for but rather a what if type disk where the top 20 players for each country were represented. Course the real work would be to rate the lesser known countries where players were not in North America. I guess I have always loved international events.

                Anyway, thank you for responding.

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 8 9:56 PM

                  Our league does a Canada Cup every four years using that year’s disk

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 9 8:37 AM
                    Ah, thank you all for the responses.

                    I definitely appreciate the work you put in. I can't imagine how much time it must take to compile stats and create ratings for 800+ players every year. I run my own sim league (http://www.angelfire.com/planet/hha/) and that's time-consuming enough.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 18, 2013
                      Dave,

                      Although its been a few years since I really played that much of APBA Hockey, I have been playing it quite a bit lately and remembering just how much I enjoyed it. I remembered way back when I bought it originally from Jim Connell before Apba got it. Anyway I have noticed your name quite a bit in this forum and never realized that you were the programmer until I just re-read the version 4.0 programmer notes. I never knew of or at least did not recall the "A" option for auto-playing games until just reading it again. With the recent Olympic Season I just uploaded I wanted to run a few season zips to see what the stats would be. I hated however that after a season none of my line combinations were left intact. So I made a copy of that folder and then just replaced it after checking the stats. After seeing the line combinations either gone or nearly erased due to the computer making changes, I got to wondering how accurate the zip season result could be. That is not to say that my line combinations are the most brilliant but I did notice one player that raised a concern. Peter Forsberg is selected as a 1st line player for Sweden and yet the season end stats had him averaging no more than 10 minutes a game. I think I will go in and manually change the "C" to "A" and remove injuries and see what happens.

                      I had found this email that I sent a couple years ago and noticed you guys didn't really know how to do an international disk because of not knowing to to use as stats. If you downloaded my season, you will see that I simply used the 2001-02 season stats for most of the players and then filled in with other seasons for players not represented in 2002. It was not my intention to try and reproduce the 2002 Olympics but rather a "what if" approach.

                      A reason I am reaching out to you tonight is to ask a couple questions. With you and all the other guys who work so hard to reproduce each season and the fact that you were a programmer for the game, why hasn't the game had an upgrade, especially to windows? Is it a copyright issue? Incidentally, were you also involved with the Apba Comm and Utility addons (move bus, etc)? Those are brilliant and really made what I was able to do quite easy.

                      Thanks again,
                      Jeff Drought