[hockeydisk] Questions

  • stephane.sylvain@sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 10, 1999
      Everybody on vacation? *lol*

      We've just started our season with the disk (12 games played) and we
      have the latest version of APBA.I'd like to know is other league has
      encounter the same problems that we have.
      1)Overtime: We 've had games ending 6-3 in overtime having 3 goals in
      the fourth period! It seems the disk plays all the 4th period...
      2)Ice time: We've had players playing on the same line regular play and
      power play, same penalty minutes,same game fatigue ending with 2
      players with 18 minutes played and one with 7 minutes!!!
      3)Many stats seems wrong.Bad players with too good statistics.Other not
      scoring.Example:Deadmarsh one point in 12 games playing 2nd line and
      also on PP.Many it's early to evaluate that...
      and....so on.....

      Are we the only league with such problems?
    • Fotiu22Fan@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 10, 1999
        The "GOHL" has not had any problems this season. Your problems seem to
        be coming from the game, not the new player disk. Try loading the game over.

        Anthony
      • mark wendling
        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 10, 1999
          Well our season is into its 36th day, and had well over 100 games played,
          and we sure havent had any noticeable problems. The OT problem sounds like
          it might be within your settings. You need to ensure that you have the
          Sudden Death toggled as on, and not continued as tied.

          Its hard to say on the minutes, I have seen stuff like this in previous
          years, so I dont think it would be isolated to this situation.

          As for players individual stats, there are always questions that dont make
          sense, and we usually chalk it up to "chemistry". Some guys over perform and
          some guys under perform, its hard to say without knowing who an individual
          plays with. For example I have Jagr and Selanne in one league, with Modano
          as a center and neither guy seems to do as much as I would think they would
          do.....

          Hope this helps, if not oh well

          >From: stephane.sylvain@...
          >To: hockeydisk@...
          >Subject: [hockeydisk] Questions
          >Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 06:33:12 -0800
          >
          >Everybody on vacation? *lol*
          >
          >We've just started our season with the disk (12 games played) and we
          >have the latest version of APBA.I'd like to know is other league has
          >encounter the same problems that we have.
          >1)Overtime: We 've had games ending 6-3 in overtime having 3 goals in
          >the fourth period! It seems the disk plays all the 4th period...
          >2)Ice time: We've had players playing on the same line regular play and
          >power play, same penalty minutes,same game fatigue ending with 2
          >players with 18 minutes played and one with 7 minutes!!!
          >3)Many stats seems wrong.Bad players with too good statistics.Other not
          >scoring.Example:Deadmarsh one point in 12 games playing 2nd line and
          >also on PP.Many it's early to evaluate that...
          >and....so on.....
          >
          >Are we the only league with such problems?

          >-- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=hockeydisk&m=1

        • Tim Stewart
          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 10, 1999
            The Minutes played could be a toggled problem as well, make sure the Fatigue toggle is ON. we have played 40 games in our season and no noticible problems other than Bure getting better than a goal per game... thats to be expected however also to be expected is for him to be injured alot which just isn't happening.

            Tim
            SSHL Commissioner

            mark wendling wrote:

            Well our season is into its 36th day, and had well over 100 games played,
            and we sure havent had any noticeable problems. The OT problem sounds like
            it might be within your settings. You need to ensure that you have the
            Sudden Death toggled as on, and not continued as tied.

            Its hard to say on the minutes, I have seen stuff like this in previous
            years, so I dont think it would be isolated to this situation.

            As for players individual stats, there are always questions that dont make
            sense, and we usually chalk it up to "chemistry". Some guys over perform and
            some guys under perform, its hard to say without knowing who an individual
            plays with. For example I have Jagr and Selanne in one league, with Modano
            as a center and neither guy seems to do as much as I would think they would
            do.....

            Hope this helps, if not oh well

            >From: stephane.sylvain@...
            >To: hockeydisk@...
            >Subject: [hockeydisk] Questions
            >Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 06:33:12 -0800
            >
            >Everybody on vacation? *lol*
            >
            >We've just started our season with the disk (12 games played) and we
            >have the latest version of APBA.I'd like to know is other league has
            >encounter the same problems that we have.
            >1)Overtime: We 've had games ending 6-3 in overtime having 3 goals in
            >the fourth period! It seems the disk plays all the 4th period...
            >2)Ice time: We've had players playing on the same line regular play and
            >power play, same penalty minutes,same game fatigue ending with 2
            >players with 18 minutes played and one with 7 minutes!!!
            >3)Many stats seems wrong.Bad players with too good statistics.Other not
            >scoring.Example:Deadmarsh one point in 12 games playing 2nd line and
            >also on PP.Many it's early to evaluate that...
            >and....so on.....
            >
            >Are we the only league with such problems?

            >-- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=hockeydisk&m=1

            eGroup Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/hockeydisk/

          • Patrick Fugina
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 22, 1999
              I am new playing apba hockey. The game text scrolls past at breakneck speed.
              Even after I press the minus key (-) continually, the slowest I can get the text
              scrolling still requires speed reading and missing some of the action. Any
              ideas on how to slow this down? Pat Fugina

              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 22, 1999
                Don`t hold the (-) key down, keep tapping it. The first time you set
                your game might take 5 minutes of tapping.
              • D. A. Atkinson
                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 23, 1999
                  Patrick Fugina wrote:

                  > I am new playing apba hockey. The game text scrolls past at breakneck speed.
                  > Even after I press the minus key (-) continually, the slowest I can get the text
                  > scrolling still requires speed reading and missing some of the action. Any
                  > ideas on how to slow this down? Pat Fugina

                  In version 4, the "[" and "]" keys are used for rough adjustment,
                  and the "-" and "+" keys can then be used for fine adjustment. It
                  shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 taps of the "[" key to slow things
                  down a ton.

                  Dave
                • Robert Corsarie
                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 23, 1999
                    What is the major Differences from version 3 to version 4. Should I
                    upgrade?

                    Thanks
                    Bob
                    > > I am new playing apba hockey. The game text scrolls past at breakneck
                    speed.
                    > > Even after I press the minus key (-) continually, the slowest I can get
                    the text
                    > > scrolling still requires speed reading and missing some of the action.
                    Any
                    > > ideas on how to slow this down? Pat Fugina
                    > >

                    > In version 4, the "[" and "]" keys are used for rough adjustment,
                    > and the "-" and "+" keys can then be used for fine adjustment. It
                    > shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 taps of the "[" key to slow things
                    > down a ton.
                    >
                    > Dave

                    > Looking for the latest consumer electronic gadgets or computer
                    > equipment? eBay has thousands of audio equipment, computer
                    > games & accessories. You never know what you might find at eBay!
                    > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1142
                    >
                    > -- Create a poll/survey for your group!
                    > -- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=hockeydisk&m=1

                  • mark wendling
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 23, 1999
                      Some of the differences I have noticed are:

                      1) a heck of a lot more assists given out. We had a player hit the 100
                      assist mark for the first time in our league's history. The player was
                      Messier, and we run a 24 team league so that was an anomoly we figure.

                      2) there is a scouting report, which is interesting

                      3) there is a function I have not used to fill in spaces for lines if a team
                      doesnt have them

                      4) I think there is some new verbage for the games

                      Those were the noticable things we found in our league off the top of my
                      head....

                      >From: "Robert Corsarie" <rac329@...>
                      >To: <hockeydisk@egroups.com>
                      >Subject: [hockeydisk] Re: Questions
                      >Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 10:45:37 -0500
                      >

                      >What is the major Differences from version 3 to version 4. Should I
                      >upgrade?
                      >
                      >Thanks
                      >Bob

                    • D. A. Atkinson
                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 26, 1999
                        mark wendling wrote:

                        > Some of the differences I have noticed are:
                        >
                        > 1) a heck of a lot more assists given out. We had a player hit the 100
                        > assist mark for the first time in our league's history. The player was
                        > Messier, and we run a 24 team league so that was an anomoly we figure.

                        Yup. Low assist totals were a long time major complaint. Version 4 helps
                        that, but doesn't fix it totally. Players that get alot of shots and assists
                        still
                        come out very low (like Jagr).

                        > 2) there is a scouting report, which is interesting

                        Correct.

                        > 3) there is a function I have not used to fill in spaces for lines if a team
                        > doesnt have them

                        Correct. Many people use Jeff Kraus' great APHComm program instead,
                        but this was a deficiency in the game itself (ability to edit default lines
                        outside
                        of a game) that needed to be fixed.

                        > 4) I think there is some new verbage for the games

                        Not really...but some of the calcs have been changed to make the more
                        obscure verbage show up a bit more.

                        > Those were the noticable things we found in our league off the top of my
                        > head....

                        There were a number of bug fixes...many people won't notice, but some
                        that were major headaches. For example, it should be nearly impossible
                        to get a non-goalie jumping in goal during a game, a common occurance
                        in version 3. Also, the text speed thing mentioned in my previous note
                        was added.

                        Dave
                      • Simon Ka
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 27, 1999
                          Version 4 sounds like a good program to use. Can you tell me where I can
                          download it?

                          >From: "D. A. Atkinson" <bigdog@...>
                          >To: hockeydisk@egroups.com
                          >Subject: [hockeydisk] Re: Questions
                          >Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 13:05:47 -0700
                          >
                          >mark wendling wrote:
                          >
                          > > Some of the differences I have noticed are:
                          > >
                          > > 1) a heck of a lot more assists given out. We had a player hit the 100
                          > > assist mark for the first time in our league's history. The player was
                          > > Messier, and we run a 24 team league so that was an anomoly we figure.
                          > >

                          >Yup. Low assist totals were a long time major complaint. Version 4 helps
                          >that, but doesn't fix it totally. Players that get alot of shots and
                          >assists
                          >still
                          >come out very low (like Jagr).
                          >
                          > > 2) there is a scouting report, which is interesting
                          >
                          >Correct.
                          >
                          > > 3) there is a function I have not used to fill in spaces for lines if a
                          >team
                          > > doesnt have them
                          >
                          >Correct. Many people use Jeff Kraus' great APHComm program instead,
                          >but this was a deficiency in the game itself (ability to edit default lines
                          >outside
                          >of a game) that needed to be fixed.
                          >
                          > > 4) I think there is some new verbage for the games
                          >
                          >Not really...but some of the calcs have been changed to make the more
                          >obscure verbage show up a bit more.
                          >
                          > > Those were the noticable things we found in our league off the top of my
                          > > head....
                          >
                          >There were a number of bug fixes...many people won't notice, but some
                          >that were major headaches. For example, it should be nearly impossible
                          >to get a non-goalie jumping in goal during a game, a common occurance
                          >in version 3. Also, the text speed thing mentioned in my previous note
                          >was added.
                          >

                          > Dave

                          >Accurate impartial advice on everything from laptops to tablesaws.
                          >http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1701

                          >-- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=hockeydisk&m=1

                        • Ripner Cabbit
                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 27, 1999
                            You can't download Version 4, you have to order the upgrade from APBA.
                            go to:
                            www.mmi.com

                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 27, 1999
                              Eeep the addy i meant was:
                              http://www.apbagames.com/apba.htm

                              > You can't download Version 4, you have to order the upgrade from APBA.
                              > go to:
                              > www.mmi.com

                            • Brett Hall
                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 28, 1999
                                > In version 4, the "[" and "]" keys are used for rough adjustment, and
                                > the "-" and "+" keys can then be used for fine adjustment. It
                                > shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 taps of the "[" key to slow things
                                > down a ton.

                                This was the case until I upgraded to a P-III 500, but now it takes
                                about 20 <g>.

                                I wish it would use the txtspd.cfg like v3 did (hint hint). Otherwise
                                v4 does take care of a few problems. Only lingering bug I've
                                noticed is that sometimes the program gets confused as to which
                                offencive zone the puck is in, e.g. you'll be fending off a forecheck
                                in your own zone, emerge with the puck from behind your net and
                                then you're automagically at the other end of the ice taking shots
                                at the opposing goalie. Scotty Niedermayer isn't *that* fast is he?
                                <g>

                                The puck indicator at the bottom of the screen is still correctly
                                positioned in your defencive zone however.

                                Brett

                                St. Louis Mustangs (GHMHL)
                                St. Louis Sting (WWAHL)
                                St. Louis Ice Lords (NWHL)
                              • D. A. Atkinson
                                Message 15 of 23 , Dec 22, 1999
                                  Brett Hall wrote:

                                  > > In version 4, the "[" and "]" keys are used for rough adjustment, and
                                  > > the "-" and "+" keys can then be used for fine adjustment. It
                                  > > shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 taps of the "[" key to slow things
                                  > > down a ton.
                                  >
                                  > This was the case until I upgraded to a P-III 500, but now it takes
                                  > about 20 <g>.

                                  Sorry it took so long to get back to your question....I've been swamped and
                                  have fallen way way behind on my email replies. I'm hoping to get caught
                                  up on my stuffed inbox over the holidays.

                                  I added the "[" and "]" keys to offset the discrepancies in speed between
                                  different machines. In the old days, a 486-33 was just a few times
                                  faster than a 286-12. But nowadays, we have people still using 286's
                                  to play the game, but others have PIII-500's, and the speed difference
                                  is gigantic. The addition of the extra keys was to allow for more range
                                  of adjustment.

                                  > I wish it would use the txtspd.cfg like v3 did (hint hint).

                                  Yeah, I blew that one. When I added the extra loop (the [ & ]
                                  keys are just nested outside the + & - keys, I think I lost the
                                  txtspd.cfg read somewhere. I need to add that back in. Also,
                                  I'll add a permanent save when a game is saved so that the game
                                  goes back to the set speed EVERY time, not just when restarting
                                  a saved game.

                                  > Otherwise
                                  > v4 does take care of a few problems. Only lingering bug I've
                                  > noticed is that sometimes the program gets confused as to which
                                  > offencive zone the puck is in, e.g. you'll be fending off a forecheck
                                  > in your own zone, emerge with the puck from behind your net and
                                  > then you're automagically at the other end of the ice taking shots
                                  > at the opposing goalie. Scotty Niedermayer isn't *that* fast is he?
                                  > <g>

                                  Yeah, that one I've seen quite a few times recently. Just a subscript
                                  missed, I'll have to hunt it down. It only occurs in two different
                                  play scenarios that I've seen.

                                  > The puck indicator at the bottom of the screen is still correctly
                                  > positioned in your defencive zone however.

                                  Yep, I just need to tie the puck zone subscript back to the text
                                  zone subscript.

                                  Dave
                                • SV206@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Dec 23, 1999
                                    Dave,
                                    Do we know if there will be a patch to adjust for the new OT format? That
                                    will be huge...
                                    Steve
                                  • D. A. Atkinson
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Dec 23, 1999
                                      SV206@... wrote:

                                      > Dave,
                                      > Do we know if there will be a patch to adjust for the new OT format? That
                                      > will be huge...
                                      > Steve

                                      No patch. There may be an upgrade in the fall that would include the new OT
                                      format,
                                      and I'm working that issue right now. I'll keep you informed.

                                      Dave
                                    • tds
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jan 14, 2000
                                        Can anyone tell me how the rookie rating has an affect in APBA?

                                        Tim Stewart
                                        SSHL Commissioner

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jan 18, 2000
                                          > Can anyone tell me how the rookie rating has an affect in APBA?

                                          The rookie rating doesn't have an effect on a player's performance.
                                          It's there mainly for the award.exe program I believe.

                                          Brett

                                          St. Louis Mustangs (GHMHL)
                                          St. Louis Sting (WWAHL)
                                          St. Louis Ice Lords (NWHL)
                                        • mark wendling
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jan 19, 2000
                                            That is interesting because I have seen rookies tend to go streaky moreso
                                            than the other players. Just an observation after playing the game for 5
                                            years, nothing to back it up with...

                                            >From: "Brett Hall" <bhall@...>
                                            >To: hockeydisk@egroups.com
                                            >Subject: [hockeydisk] Re: Questions
                                            >Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 23:21:14 -0600
                                            >

                                            > > Can anyone tell me how the rookie rating has an affect in APBA?
                                            >
                                            >The rookie rating doesn't have an effect on a player's performance.
                                            >It's there mainly for the award.exe program I believe.
                                            >
                                            >Brett
                                            >
                                            >St. Louis Mustangs (GHMHL)
                                            >St. Louis Sting (WWAHL)
                                            >St. Louis Ice Lords (NWHL)

                                            >For the fastest and easiest way to backup your files and, access them from
                                            >anywhere. Try @backup Free for 30 days. Click here for a chance to win a
                                            >digital camera.

                                            >-- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/hockeydisk/?m=1

                                          • D. A. Atkinson
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jan 19, 2000
                                              Brett Hall wrote:

                                              > > Can anyone tell me how the rookie rating has an affect in APBA?
                                              >
                                              > The rookie rating doesn't have an effect on a player's performance.
                                              > It's there mainly for the award.exe program I believe.
                                              >
                                              > Brett

                                              Correct.