Re: [hockeydisk] this year's disk

  • Bill Corfield
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 2, 2010
      Dave-

       Hopefully the two weeks since your last update have been productive ones.

       How are things looking?

      Bill Corfield

        Message 3 of 26 , Sep 6, 2015
          Ok, the testing and tweaking phase has just ended. The convergence
          metrics have been met, and actually are better than any of the past
          disks (just beat last year's). Simmed just over 2 million games to get
          it where it is.
          I need to migrate the split disk used for testing (where all multi-team
          players are split out onto their actual teams) into a combined disk
          (where multi-team players have one total entry). That takes me a couple
          days. Then, I need the team to error check it. Then release. I hope to
          release the disk next weekend, or shortly thereafter (depends on how
          many errors and the type of errors....major errors might require some
          retesting). I'll give you all a firm date once I get closer.
          Thanks all for the patience!
        • David Gowdey

            Message 5 of 26 , Sep 16, 2015
              Ok, I'm going to let the error checking team have another couple days,
              and then we'll close up shop. Unless some big issue is found, the disk
              will be released this weekend.
            • lee_snowden@rocketmail.com
              Message 6 of 26 , Sep 19, 2015
                Today, Dave??
                Message 7 of 26 , Sep 19, 2015

                  Still error checking. More likely tomorrow night at the earliest.

                  Message 8 of 26 , Sep 19, 2015
                    Let's say....this weekend. Maybe late tonight, if everything I still want to look at gets done.
                    Definitely before Sunday night.

                    On 9/19/2015 9:05 AM, lee_snowden@... [hockeydisk] wrote:

                    Today, Dave??

                  • lee_snowden@rocketmail.com
                    Message 9 of 26 , Sep 19, 2015
                      Thanks gents!
                      Message 10 of 26 , Sep 28, 2015
                        Happy to see that there has been no uproar over problems with the disk.
                        That means we must have caught all the errors....whew. The first week
                        after release is always a worry. So, with the disk in the books and
                        everybody's leagues off and running, I'd like to take a few moments to
                        thank those involved.

                        First of all, Peter Dallara deserves a big hand for saving the disk this
                        year. We went into the past season without having a good source of
                        position information, so the entire disk project was in jeopardy.
                        However, Peter not only found a good source, but compiled what was
                        needed throughout the NHL season to ensure that we had the position
                        information that we needed for the disk. He did an amazing job keeping
                        on top of it and compiling things. I had a great summary at disk
                        creation time that just fell in perfectly. Thanks, Peter!!!!

                        Ken Danila again did a great job with getting the review website updated
                        and ready to go for another season. In no time flat after I was able to
                        get the stats, he was ready to go. The voting site ran flawlessly again,
                        and this kickstarted another great disk year. Thanks, Ken!!

                        Herb Garbutt was ready with the stat and scout rating sets to help with
                        the testing and tweaking. We usually need to adjust about 7 or 8 % of
                        the ratings to get the disk performance right, and Herb is truly the
                        guiding force behind it. I don't make an adjustment without Herb's
                        input. And he always has a full justification behind each one, which
                        gives me confidence that we're always headed to a better disk. Thanks,
                        Herb!!!

                        Herb, Ken, Peter....I owe you all a beer if I get to your towns this
                        year!!!!

                        Finally, last but not least, I'd like to recognize those that put time
                        and energy into the voting ratings. I don't know all the names....the
                        site logs email addresses only, but I won't post them here and cause
                        them all to get spammed. Let's just say that I've looked through the
                        list of raters, and I'm thrilled with the effort that all of you have
                        put forth. The quality of this year's disk certainly starts with your
                        efforts. Thanks to all.

                        Thanks to everyone on here for the patience. It was good disk year, and
                        I feel this is the best one yet. Adding the goalie rebound ratings from
                        the play by play just adds another layer of realism to the disk quality.
                        I hope everyone enjoys this year's disk.
                        I look forward to doing even better next year.

                        Dave
                      • Matt Young
                        Message 11 of 26 , Sep 28, 2015
                          Dave.

                          Thanks to you and your team for all the work. Another great disk and another year of apba hockey can be enjoyed by many.

                          I know I look forward to next years disk and can't wait to start using the review site again.

                          Thanks,
                          Matt Young

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          Message 12 of 26 , Sep 28, 2015
                            On behalf of the CCHL, a big THANK YOU to everyone on the team!!!

                            Bill Corfield