Re: anyone?

  • northattleboroguy
    Message 1 of 27 , May 29, 2010
      Dont have it yet, but I have all his other games. The one issue I have with the DK games is with the flow of the game. The basketball game is very unorthodox and doesnt really have the feel of basketball. So, hopefully the hockey will capture it the way APBA does.

      --- In hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com, "D. Atkinson" <boomhound@...> wrote:

      > Anyone out there have this yet?
      >
      > http://www.dksports.com/hockey.htm
      >
      > I'm interested in hearing a review.

    • William Underwood
      Message 2 of 27 , May 30, 2010

        I’ve ordered it but the thing that concerns me is a Strat like ability to micro manage individual players…

        Message 3 of 27 , May 30, 2010
          I've been a long-time APBA Hockey fan.  I still enjoy playing it...

          Action PC Hockey is what APBA Hockey could have become if they kept updating their game years ago.

          I highly recommend Action PC Hockey!  If you don't buy it, you'll be missing out!

          Jeff

            Message 5 of 27 , May 30, 2010
              Sure, I'd be happy to.
              I bought the game and set it up last night, and I coached a game.
              I'll elaborate more later this evening, I have to run out.  I'm running late.  Sorry.
              Jeff

                Message 7 of 27 , May 30, 2010
                  Just bought it and downloaded it. Only played a period so jury is still out. However, from the one period I played, I didnt really get a good feeling. What I feared about not having the flow of the game is what I experienced. But, I dont want to prejudice anyone against the game based on my one period of play. In the next day or so I'll play more and let you all know.

                  Message 8 of 27 , May 30, 2010
                    Thanks...appreciate it. I don't think one review based on a couple games played will bias the whole community. I'll need to hear at least 10 reviews, and probably play the game myself, before I can make a judgement. But your input will be appreciated, and we'll see if we can get a consensus on this thing.

                    northattleboroguy wrote:

                    Just bought it and downloaded it. Only played a period so jury is still out. However, from the one period I played, I didnt really get a good feeling. What I feared about not having the flow of the game is what I experienced. But, I dont want to prejudice anyone against the game based on my one period of play. In the next day or so I'll play more and let you all know.

                    --- In hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com, "D. Atkinson" <boomhound@...> wrote:

                    > Anyone out there have this yet?
                    >
                    > http://www.dksports.com/hockey.htm
                    >
                    > I'm interested in hearing a review.

                  • Jeff Shaffer
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 31, 2010
                    • 1 Attachment
                    • 6 KB
                    I have Action PC Hockey and I played an online game last night with a friend of mine.  He coached the Blackhawks and I coached the Penguins, this year's teams.  I attached a .txt file with the game's boxscore.

                    The game has a great flow to it with lot's of coaching options.  To see screen shots check out their website:

                    I'll post more comments soon.
                    Jeff

                    northattleboroguy wrote:

                    Just bought it and downloaded it. Only played a period so jury is still out. However, from the one period I played, I didnt really get a good feeling. What I feared about not having the flow of the game is what I experienced. But, I dont want to prejudice anyone against the game based on my one period of play. In the next day or so I'll play more and let you all know.

                    --- In hockeydisk@yahoogro ups.com, "D. Atkinson" <boomhound@.. .> wrote:

                    > Anyone out there have this yet?
                    >
                    > http://www.dksports .com/hockey. htm
                    >
                    > I'm interested in hearing a review.

                  • Sylvain Dallaire
                    Message 10 of 27 , May 31, 2010
                      Can we do like APBA and only the commish need the game to sim and all other GM just need a utility to make their lines ? or if everybody need to buy the game ?
                      Thanks

                      Sylvain Dallaire
                      www.lhat-naha.net
                      Phoenix Coyotes & Commish (NAHA)
                      Coyotes de Phoenix (LHAT)
                      Coyotes de Phoenix (LAHS)

                      Message 11 of 27 , May 31, 2010

                        and are their going tobe just the league files for
                        each year and not a whole new game we need ?

                        DAVE

                        Message 12 of 27 , May 31, 2010
                          Good questions.

                          I think Dave Koch will be better able to answer these questions than me, but I'd be glad to help as I can.  I'm not a tester.  I enjoy doing season replays on my own and coaching head-to-head online with friends.  Doing online leagues would be fun, I've just never tried it with APBA.
                          I was into Quest Hockey, but poor Joe is just one guy.
                          And now we have Action PC!

                          From the game, under the internet tab, it has:

                          Host Game Session
                          Join Game Session
                          Disconnect
                          Find my ip address
                          Open windows Firewall port 1450
                          Forward port 1450 - router
                          Service updates
                          Search for hockey seasons
                          Visit dksports.com
                          League address book
                          Create website

                          Under league address book, it has:
                          League members.... name, email
                          Status box:  League Statistician box, Send automatic game reports box.
                          Add member, delete member.  League name.
                          Cancel, Save changes.

                          So, from here it would appear you can setup an internet league, do a draft league, and stuff.
                          Under the organize section, it has a "Draft" heading with Draft Players, Modify Draft order, and Modify General Managers.

                          I can post more details soon.  I sent a big email that didn't go through this morning.  I do another one soon...
                          Jeff

                            Message 14 of 27 , May 31, 2010
                              I think that reviews of games in general should be prefaced by what that person is looking for in a game. I, for instance, play games sporadically, so the most important thing for me, is playability and realism in terms of does the game transport my imagination to the actual arena. I'm not so concerned with online play or leagues stats (although I totally understand how that would be important to people). But, for me, it's that hour or so that I'm playing the game that is most important to me.

                              With that being said, I'm going to retract what I said earlier a bit. I just completed two games and thoroughly enjoyed playing both. There are still some "game flow" issues (I have a problem when a game tells me that a player takes control behind their own net, then in one sentence tells me that another player is taking a shot at the other end). This is something that APBA had down pat. There was always the progression from defensive zone to center ice to offensive zone which really captured the flow of hockey. I find the flow in this game to be closer to the old Lance Haffner Hat Trick game. A little choppy and not really authentic hockey "flow". However, the one thing that the DK games do so well, is bring a wealth of coaching options and decisions to the table. The DK hockey is no different. There are loads of pre-game and on ice decisions to be made and, all in all, this makes for an enjoyable game experience. Enough to overcome the shortcomings of the gameplay.

                              I've played a few other computer hockey sims in the past and would probably say that this is the closest thing out now to real hockey. DK has always been good about upgrading and improving with each release, so it will only get better. But, for the first release, I'd say its a good one.

                              Thanks all.....Bob
                            • Sylvain Dallaire
                              Message 15 of 27 , Jun 1, 2010
                                I just buy the game and i think you need to buy the game even if you just want to send your lines ??
                                That's not a good news :(

                                Message 16 of 27 , Jun 16, 2010
                                  I purchased the Action! PC Hockey simulator.  It's pretty cool.  The problem is, if you run a league (as I do) there's no support software where teams can send you their lines and strategies.  At first glance it appears that everyone in the league needs to shell out the $40 to take part.  Also, you need to pay every year for the updates.

                                  Joe

                                  To: hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: boomhound@...
                                  Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 14:11:28 -0700

                                  Anyone out there have this yet?

                                  http://www.dksports.com/hockey.htm

                                  I'm interested in hearing a review.

                                  Turn down-time into play-time with Messenger games Play Now!
                                • boomhound@gmail.com
                                  Message 17 of 27 , Jun 16, 2010
                                    My intention would be to write an APHComm like interface to the game files to make the game more "league friendly". There are also probably others out there that are better programmers that would likely do a better job than I. I worry about that approach, as the game sales are needed to keep the game viable and alive from a business aspect long term. However, holding 20 people hostage that will never actually play the game themselves is not the right answer either. Not sure if the data files are encrypted or not (I haven't bought the game yet due to lack of time), but that would be a roadblock to a third party roster editor. Not sure how things will play out, but your concerns are well founded and will need to be addressed by any leagues considering migration from APBA.

                                    Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                    From: Joe Sutherland <joesutherland@...>
                                    Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 20:33:25 +0000
                                    To: <hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com>

                                    To: hockeydisk@yahoogro ups.com

                                    Message 18 of 27 , Jun 16, 2010
                                      Regarding 'no support software to send in lines'.
                                      That is exactly the same as APBA hockey.

                                      Technically, you could just have people send in their lines as a text lineup
                                      and input them manually - just like APBA if you don't have the extra user-written software.
                                      Prior to getting a licensed version of APHCOMM for our league - that is exactly what we did.

                                      It should not be construed as a negative because the software is not explicitly setup
                                      for leagues to be able to run with a single copy of the software - but note that it CAN be done. So I don't
                                      consider that anyone is held hostage. Just some extra work for the league commissioners.

                                      Andrew

                                      Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:05 PM

                                      From: Joe Sutherland <joesutherland@...>
                                      Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 20:33:25 +0000
                                      To: <hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com>

                                      To: hockeydisk@yahoogro ups.com

                                      Message 19 of 27 , Jun 16, 2010
                                        Contrary, Dave Koch is very good at support and is very well worth the price of the game. I play his baseball, football and basketball games. Intend to get hockey next month.

                                        Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:05 PM

                                        From: Joe Sutherland <joesutherland@ hotmail.com>
                                        Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 20:33:25 +0000
                                        To: <hockeydisk@yahoogro ups.com>

                                        To: hockeydisk@yahoogro ups.com

                                        Message 20 of 27 , Jun 16, 2010
                                          Andrew--
                                          Dave's point was that someone like me would have to write a tool like APHCOMM for this game.   Which is fine--provided the data files are not encrypted...something I can't tell until I get my hands on a copy of the game.  If they are indeed not encrypted and Dave K isn't going to be upset---I will eventually work on one.  Right now, unfortunately, I can't afford the game...so I'll have to wait...

                                          Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:05 PM

                                          From: Joe Sutherland <joesutherland@...>
                                          Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 20:33:25 +0000

                                          To: hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com

                                          Message 21 of 27 , Jun 16, 2010
                                            I see I should have snippeted the pertinent parts. I was responding to some specific comments with the observation
                                            that it is not any different than APBA in and of itself. If a line editor doesn't materialize, it doesn't mean the league still
                                            can't be run with the game as-is owned only by the commish. It's just more of a pain.
                                            However, given the large amounts of tuning the coaching profiles have, it actually might be easier
                                            to let everyone use the same coaching profile and just send in lines.

                                            Andrew

                                            Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 8:46 PM

                                              Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 8:46 PM

                                              Message 23 of 27 , Jun 19, 2010
                                                Hello all.  I'm trying to setup an 82 game schedule for a 20 team league and don't know how.  I've tried finding a schedule generator online with no luck.  Can anyone help?

                                                To: hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com

                                                Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 8:46 PM

                                                Andrew--
                                                Dave's point was that someone like me would have to write a tool like APHCOMM for this game.   Which is fine--provided the data files are not encrypted... something I can't tell until I get my hands on a copy of the game.  If they are indeed not encrypted and Dave K isn't going to be upset---I will eventually work on one.  Right now, unfortunately, I can't afford the game...so I'll have to wait...

                                                Look 'em in the eye: FREE Messenger video chat Chat Now!
                                              • Sylvain Dallaire
                                                Message 24 of 27 , Jun 19, 2010
                                                • 1 Attachment
                                                • 38 KB
                                                There you go !!

                                                De : Joe Sutherland <joesutherland@...>
                                                À : hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com
                                                Envoyé le : Sam 19 juin 2010, 15h 45min 55s
                                                Objet : [hockeydisk] 20 team 82 game schedule

                                                To: hockeydisk@yahoogro ups.com

                                                Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 8:46 PM

                                                Message 25 of 27 , Jun 19, 2010
                                                  Thanks Sylvain.  Unfortunately, when I try to run it I get a message saying a sharing violation has occurred and it shuts down on me.  Any suggestions?  Or does anyone have a 20 team, 82 game season on excel that I could simply change to suit my needs?

                                                  Thanks in advance.

                                                  Joe

                                                  To: hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com
                                                  From: dall013@...
                                                  Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 13:30:44 -0700
                                                  Subject: Re : [hockeydisk] 20 team 82 game schedule [1 Attachment]

                                                  [Attachment(s) from Sylvain Dallaire included below]

                                                  De : Joe Sutherland <joesutherland@ hotmail.com>
                                                  À : hockeydisk@yahoogro ups.com

                                                  To: hockeydisk@yahoogro ups.com

                                                  Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2010 8:46 PM

                                                  Andrew--
                                                  Dave's point was that someone like me would have to write a tool like APHCOMM for this game.   Which is fine--provided the data files are not encrypted... something I can't tell until I get my hands on a copy of the game.  If they are indeed not encrypted and Dave K isn't going to be upset---I will eventually work on one.  Right now, unfortunately, I can't afford the game...so I'll have to wait...

                                                  Look 'em in the eye: FREE Messenger video chat Chat Now!

                                                  Your Photo on Bing.ca: You Could WIN on Canada Day! Submit a Photo Now!