It's here

    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 22, 2009
      Message
      Hey everyone,
      Brian has posted the disk and it is now available for download at www.apbahockey.com

      Hope you have a fun season and best of luck with your leagues.

      Herb
    • Peter Dallara
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 22, 2009
        Incredible Herb. Datsyuk is rated a 4 defensively? He's won the Selke 2 years in a row. What's up?

        Pete

        Hope you have a fun season and best of luck with your leagues.

        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 22, 2009
          Message
          And we have a new record....25 minutes until our first complaint about a rating. I'll wait until we have a few more and deal with them all at once.

          Incredible Herb. Datsyuk is rated a 4 defensively? He's won the Selke 2 years in a row. What's up?

          Pete

          Hope you have a fun season and best of luck with your leagues.

          Herb

        • cam mccurdy
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 22, 2009
            No complaint here, I'd just like to offer a thank you to Dave, Herb and all the other people who gave much of their time working on the disk and allowing us to enjoy yet another season of APBA Hockey.

            Me fail English that's unpossible.

            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 22, 2009
              Although Datsyuk is a very good defensive player, he is overmatched in tight quarters with large forwards such Getzlaf and Thornton. Selke voters are somewhat influenced by offensive production. Datsyuk is not the best defensive forward in the league in all situations. Open ice...yes, against large power forwards along the boards..uh, no.
              As I've pointed out in the past, if you don't like the ratings, you are more than free to change them for your league or your personal use. 1000000+ test games is a statistically significant sample, but perhaps not enough to ensure 12 sigma at a 99% confidence level.
              Let the debate begin.

              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

              From: Peter Dallara <pdallara@...>
              Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 20:39:54 -0400
              To: <hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 22, 2009

                Hi,

                Thanks for the great job.  However, for some reason, it seem we can't download the disk:
                The document is being edited/updated by a User and is unavailable at this moment

                Any idea what this happen

                Ghislain

                To: hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com
                From: herbgarbutt@...
                Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 20:15:10 -0400

                Hey everyone,
                Brian has posted the disk and it is now available for download at www.apbahockey. com

                Hope you have a fun season and best of luck with your leagues.

                Herb

                Une foule d’offres Windows 7 fantastiques, toutes à un endroit pratique. maintenant d’une offre Windows 7
                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 22, 2009
                  Message
                  Someone else said that earlier but I went on and downloaded it no problem.

                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 22, 2009
                    Strange, i've trying 5-6 times, same issue

                    Can you send me directly the zip?

                    To: hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com
                    From: herbgarbutt@...
                    Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 21:55:27 -0400

                    From: herbgarbutt@ cogeco.ca
                    Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 20:15:10 -0400

                    Hey everyone,
                    Brian has posted the disk and it is now available for download at www.apbahockey. com

                    Hope you have a fun season and best of luck with your leagues.

                    Herb

                    Une foule d’offres Windows 7 fantastiques, toutes à un endroit pratique. maintenant d’une offre Windows 7

                    Préparez-vous à profiter de toute une aubaine! Trouvez des offres Windows 7 fantastiques, toutes à un endroit pratique.
                  • Peter Dallara
                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 22, 2009
                      May I counter that argument. Datsyuk finished 2nd in the league in takeaways, 6 more than Richards who is rated a 5 defensively. If Richards is better than Datsyuk, shouldn't he have more takeaways? Do not takeaways include both open ice and along the boards? Datsyuk, in the past except for last year, seems to get no respect for his defensive abilities. Two years ago, If I am correct, he was rated a 3 defensively although he was one of the best takeaway players in the NHL.

                      Also, you stated that Datsyuk was the best defensive forward in open ice. Does this not mean anything? Just my opinion.

                      Pete

                      From: Peter Dallara <pdallara@optonline. net>
                      Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 20:39:54 -0400
                      To: <hockeydisk@yahoogro ups.com>

                      Incredible Herb. Datsyuk is rated a 4 defensively? He's won the Selke 2 years in a row. What's up?

                      Pete

                      Hope you have a fun season and best of luck with your leagues.

                      Herb

                    • atanguay15
                      Message 10 of 27 , Oct 22, 2009
                        Same problem with me...

                        Message 11 of 27 , Oct 22, 2009
                          Message
                          OK, since Dave has weighed in, I will to.

                          I traced Datsyuk's ratings through my various versions of the process (I kept a seperate spreadsheet for each step in the process so if adjustments were needed I could track backwards)

                          My initial rating on Datsyuk was a 4. In the second version, after consulting with reviewers, Datsyuk was still a 4 but marked as a potential raise. This means it was either split or not a majority for a 5. Next step was a stats review. To get a ratings bump in the stats review, there had to be an excellent statistical case or if the player was tagged as potential upgrade, a very good statistical case.

                          Datsyuk did lead the team in plus minus but was only fifth among forwards in SH time (behind Cleary, Draper, Zetterberg and Filppula). If it was a matter of bumping him 3 to 4, I would have, but that's not a strong enough statistical case for a 5.

                          Still, Datsyuk remained marked as a potential bump based on testing.

                          The first test set came back with Detroit allowing too few shots (-5.53%). Over the next 15 test sets Dave sent me (there were many more done, I'm just going by his updates to me) Detroit ranged between -6.34 and -3.21.... finally settling in a -4.37.  So at no point was there any reason to improve any of the Detroit ratings. In fact, I'm pretty sure we probably decreased a few.

                          I believe only eight players received a 5 DEF rating (in checking this, I was actually surprised how few there were). Personally, it would not have taken much convincing for me to make Datsyuk a 5. In fact, had they needed improvement, D&Z probably would have been my first suggestions.

                          As Dave mentioned, you can not necessarily use Selke Trophy voting as a guage of who deserves a 5. If that were the case, you would need to score at least 20 goals in order to be deserving of a 5....because those seem to be the requirements for winning the Selke. John Madden won his only Selke in 2001, the year he scored a career high 23 goals. Kris Draper won in 2004, the year he scored a career high 24 goals (he's never scored more than 15 in any other year). Mike Peca, 1997, the year he had a career high 60 points and one of the only two years he scored more than 20 goals..... Sergei Fedorov in 1994 and 1996, the only two years he topped 100 points. I could go on but I think you get the point.

                          The Selke is no longer awarded to the best defensive forward. Somewhere in the early 90s it became the best two-way forward award. Two-way forward does not necessarily mean the best defensive forward.

                          As for Datsyuk leading in takeaways, the majority of takeaways take place in the offensive zone on the forecheck or in the corners. And Datsyuk was rewarded with a 5 forecheck rating for that.

                          From: Peter Dallara <pdallara@optonline. net>
                          Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 20:39:54 -0400
                          To: <hockeydisk@yahoogro ups.com>

                          Message 12 of 27 , Oct 22, 2009
                            Thank you Herb. Didn't mean to make such a fuss and I accept your rationale but I still think that Datsyuk got a raw deal.

                            Pete

                            From: Peter Dallara <pdallara@optonline. net>
                            Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 20:39:54 -0400
                            To: <hockeydisk@yahoogro ups.com>

                            Incredible Herb. Datsyuk is rated a 4 defensively? He's won the Selke 2 years in a row. What's up?

                            Pete

                            Hope you have a fun season and best of luck with your leagues.

                            Herb

                          • Stéphane
                            Message 13 of 27 , Oct 22, 2009
                              Jan Hejda ?

                              From: Peter Dallara <pdallara@optonline. net>
                              Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 20:39:54 -0400
                              To: <hockeydisk@yahoogro ups.com>

                            • dadadove@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 27 , Oct 22, 2009
                                I'm sorting players for a league and I'm not seeing Colby Armstrong.  Anyone else having this issue?

                                Chris Wolter

                                Hope you have a fun season and best of luck with your leagues.

                                Message 15 of 27 , Oct 22, 2009
                                  Message
                                   Nope, just did a player search. He's there.

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Oct 22, 2009
                                    Message
                                    No problem. Never have a problem explaining the process. If we had a 10-point scale, I'd have probably given him a 9.

                                    In regards to Richards, Mike Richards led his team in SH time among forwards, playing 3:12 per game, exactly double Datsyuk's 1:36 (yes, Philly is shorthanded more but not twice as much). Richards was second on his team in plus/minus (only one out of the lead). The Wings' penalty killing was 25th in the league. Philadelphia was 6th. Richards is also the first forward in 5-on-3 situations. Datsyuk is not.

                                    As far as the Selke Trophy, Datsyuk beat Richards by three lousy points 945-942. Richards had more first place votes 61-55. And no doubt Datsyuk's 97-80 edge in points was enough to push him over the top.

                                    From: Peter Dallara <pdallara@optonline. net>
                                    Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 20:39:54 -0400
                                    To: <hockeydisk@yahoogro ups.com>

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Oct 22, 2009
                                      Is he a TOT player?

                                      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                      From: "Herb Garbutt" <herbgarbutt@...>
                                      Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 23:30:34 -0400
                                      To: <hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com>

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Oct 22, 2009
                                        my mistake sorry guys, i found him, i'm just retarded!!!!!!!!

                                        chris

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Oct 22, 2009
                                          Message
                                          Jan Hejda ?

                                          Yes, Jan Hejda.  I knew this one would raise some eyebrows. We ended up having to raise a lot of Columbus ratings to bring them in line, but this was not one of them. I had him as a 5 from the start and none of the reviewers disputed it.

                                          Read up on him. He just doesn't get much attention because he only gets 20 points a year and plays for Columbus.

                                          He led Columbus in SH time (3:58 per game) and had the best +/- on the team, +23. The next best on the team was +11. He also led the team in even strength time. He averaged 22:22 per game despite getting just 0:13 on the PP.

                                          The year before he was +20. The next best on the team was +7. Hejda was second only behind Adam Foote in SH time (3:51 per game).

                                          Couple that with the following:

                                          Jan Hejda might be the most under appreciated player in the NHL. When he partners with Mike Commodore, it's a very good shutdown pairing.--The Hockey News Yearbook

                                          Absorbed all the heavy minutes and continues to swiftly evolve into a stout shutdown defender.  A tough reliable defender who knows how to use his big frame and plays a steady, intelligent game. A key part of the penalty killing unit and too focused protecting the realm to see power play time--McKeen's

                                          A good shutdown defender, he is no longer under the radar. Opponents now know all about him--Sports Forecaster

                                          While Hejda ranks among the league’s best stay-at-home defenders in plus-minus, blocked shots and hits, the soft-spoken defenseman is content playing his shutdown role in obscurity. He doesn’t credit the team’s improvement to anything he’s adapted to, but points to the teamwork between himself and Commodore as a reason for why this year’s results are so much better than last’s.
                                          Not only is Hejda tied for eighth in plus-minus among defensemen with a plus-19 this season, but he was plus-20 and tied for 10th last season on a much poorer Columbus squad. This year with him on the top defensive pairing, Columbus sits third overall in shot-against per game, allowing just 27.6, a sharp turnaround from a year ago. Not that Hejda will take the credit.
                                          READ THE WHOLE STORY AT:

                                          From the Columbus Dispatch:

                                          The soft-spoken, hard-hitting defenseman is a plus-50 in his Jackets career. It represents the league's fourth-best mark during that span behind Detroit's Pavel Datsyuk (74) and Nicklas Lidstrom (73) and Chicago's Duncan  Keith (64) . For a defensive-minded player on a low-scoring club, it's a revealing statistic.

                                           "I think Jan is one of the most underrated players in the league," winger Kristian Huselius said. "He goes out every game and plays against the other team's top lines and really doesn't get enough credit for the job he does."

                                          Hejda's profile, expanding within NHL circles, could grow again in February. He has a decent shot of playing for the Czech Republic in the Winter Olympics after spending the offseason training with national coach Vladimir Ruzicka.

                                          His primary focus remains helping the Jackets return to the playoffs. He will block shots and chip pucks off the glass with little fanfare.

                                          "There is nothing flashy about Jan's game," winger R.J. Umberger said. "Then, you look up at the end of the night and he's like plus-4."

                                          While the Blue Jackets don't have the prototypical No. 1 defenceman, Fedor Tyutin has quietly been very effective and the shutdown tandem of Mike Commodore and Jan Hejda is terrific. --TSN

                                          ....and early returns from this year......

                                          It remains to be seen how Hejda's absence will affect one of the best penalty-killing units in the league. Columbus has killed off 18 of 19 penalties (94.7 percent).  Hejda's plus-8 rating in five games puts him among the NHL leaders. --- CBS Sports

                                          From: Peter Dallara <pdallara@optonline. net>
                                          Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 20:39:54 -0400
                                          To: <hockeydisk@yahoogro ups.com>

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Oct 23, 2009
                                            when I download the new disk it get an error stating that "DOES
                                            NOT APPEAR TO BE A VALID ARCHIVE. "
                                            TKS
                                            DAVE BOLE

                                            Hope you have a fun season and best of luck with your leagues.

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Oct 23, 2009
                                                If anyone other is actually using IE still, you have my heartfelt sympathies. The world's biggest security hole.

                                                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Oct 23, 2009

                                                  Safari worked for me.  What’s weird is that I also needed regrep, but was unable to download that from a different site using IE.  Safari worked for

                                                  that as well.  If anyone needs me to email them the zip, let me know…

                                                  Hope you have a fun season and best of luck with your leagues.

                                                  Herb

                                                • sylvain
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Oct 23, 2009
                                                    I'm using IE, could somebody reply to me and attached the zip files please?

                                                    Hope you have a fun season and best of luck with your leagues.

                                                    Herb

                                                  • Tom Welch
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jan 24, 2010
                                                      Looking for help with APBA on windows 7. It says Hockey Commissioner.msi file is missing. Any help would be appreciated.

                                                      Thanks
                                                      Thom Welch

                                                      To: hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com

                                                      From: Peter Dallara <pdallara@optonline. net>
                                                      Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 20:39:54 -0400
                                                      To: <hockeydisk@yahoogro ups.com>

                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jan 24, 2010
                                                        Forgot to change SUBJECT..thanks

                                                        To: hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com
                                                        From: tew444@...
                                                        Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 21:56:26 -0500

                                                        To: hockeydisk@yahoogro ups.com

                                                        From: Peter Dallara <pdallara@optonline. net>
                                                        Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 20:39:54 -0400
                                                        To: <hockeydisk@yahoogro ups.com>

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jan 24, 2010
                                                          anyone out there have APHcomm 3.1 that I can use
                                                          on XP ?
                                                          TKS
                                                          DAVE

                                                          To: hockeydisk@yahoogro ups.com