Re: [hockeydisk] Position List

    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 22, 2009
      Yeah....just finished yesterday. Give me a bit to organize and get it out. Say a week or 10 days.

      dadadove@... wrote:

      Is there by any chance an update on the APBA position list?

      Thanks

      Chris Wolter

    • prdallara
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 7, 2009
        Any progress on the position list?

        Pete
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 7, 2009
          This weekend!!

          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 9, 2009
            prdallara wrote:

            Any progress on the position list?

            Here it is:

          • Dr Majcher
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 9, 2009
              Hi Dave,

               Great job , as usual, with the positions list.  I looked over the Flyers positions and only found a few discrepancies.

                I saw all 82 of the Flyers games last season. As I have done since the '95-'96 season, I have kept a written record of the regular strength lines that began each game for the Flyers & their opponents.  I do so to help me set lines when I do replays.  I'm not in any  leagues -- strictly solo replay.  So, I'm not writing to get any player a position -- only to point out
              a few differences. They are:

              Andrew Alberts -- delete RD ==> he only played LD last season

              Danny Briere -- add LW ==> late in the season, he played 10 games LW (primarly on
                                                          a line with Giroux (C) & Asham (RW)

              Luca Sbisa -- add LD ===> started the season as a LD, then at the 20 game mark,
                                                       he was moved to RD

              Darroll Powe - add lw ===> in the 2nd half of the season, started to fill in at both wing
                                                       positions. Played LW for a stretch with Giroux (C) & Upshall
                                                       (RW).

              Also, I noticed Matt Carle was not listed among the Flyers. He played both RD (when the Flyers first acquired him) & LD ( mainly here, paired with Coburn (RD) ).

              NOTE : I did not include any positions , that a player only played a few games at. Examples: Kukkonen & Sbisa were used as wingers for just a few games.

              Hope this information is helful to you. Thanks again, for all your work.

              Joe

            • dadadove@aol.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 9, 2009
                dave,

                thanks again for all this work, but i need to pipe in with one thing and i barely went through the list...mike camalleri centered jerome iginla for half the season in calgary and here he is just and LWRW.  this can't be.  i realize that you often have had others pull the position listing from espn, nhl and other sites, but camalleri has to have a C (as he does on nhl.com), if not it seems whoever gets the positions has failed in their work.  sorry to sound harsh on this.

                chris wolter

                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 10, 2009
                  We use the Hockey News as our main data source, with TSN, Rodgers, ESPN, and NHL.com as backups.

                  The Hockey News had him listed at center only once all season, with 8 weeks at LW and 8 weeks at RW.  We typically don't give out a position to someone only listed for one week, unless they were listed at that position on the previous year's disk. He was LW only last year. So, I started going through all his goals, both on the scoresheet and video from the NHL network, to look at who was on the ice with him, to figure what position he played......
                  Typically: Cammalleri/Conroy/Iginla
                  Although there were instances with Cammalleri/Jokinen/Iginla late in the year after the trade.
                  In these cases, it is clear that Cammalleri is NOT the center.

                  I found other instances with Cammalleri/Lundmark/Iginla, Cammalleri/Langkow/Iginla (typically PP), and Cammalleri/Lombardi/Iginla, again Cammalleri is not the center on these.
                  I found one instance with Cammalleri/Moss/Iginla, where it is likely that Cammalleri is the center (it was on the power play)....but this was one instance, and it was probably the week that he was listed at C. In that same week, I also found a Cammalleri/Bertuzzi/Iginla on the PP, where Cammalleri was likely the center.
                  Based on the boxscore digging and watching video, it is clear that the Hockey News pretty close. Cammalleri was typically on the wing (actually more LW than RW), with no obvious center play except for one week fairly late in the season. I'm not going to add a C with this strong evidence against.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 11, 2009
                    Message
                    Cammalleri also finished 6th in faceoffs taken on the Flames with 368 in 81 games, behind centres Conroy (1382), Langkow (753), Boyd (477) and Lombardi (459 in 50 games). He even finished behind Iginla (501). And probably the only reason that he finished as high as sixth was because so many of the Flames centres played so few games: Primeau (24, 217 faceoffs); Jokinen (19, 215); Lundmark (27, 120).

                    Cammelleri did have a good winning percentage 60.3 so if he was playing with someone like Langkow (46.9) on the power play, they may have had him take the draw and then revert to his wing position, making it appear as if he were centring the line. But the rating is for his defensive play at the position and if this was the case he's not playing D at centre beyond taking the draw, and the faceoff ratings will cover that.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 11, 2009
                      dave and herb,
                      thanks for the "firepower!" i suppose when i saw them play last season, i must've focused on some PP time and that stuck with me. thanks for all your hard work year in year out.
                      chris

                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 11, 2009
                        No problem. It was a good mental exercise to figure out how to validate the data that we have. I found on NHL.com, if you click on a player, you can get a game log (stats from every game they played in). On these lines, you can click on "view video" to see every goal. At that point, you can determine who was on the ice for the play, they usually show the group hug at the end of a goal scored, where you can pick off all the guys on the ice. I did this for Cammalleri to validate the Hockey News data that we had.

                      Message 11 of 20 , Aug 7, 2010
                        Could someone please inform us when the position list will be completed and posted. If assistance is needed, I'm sure many of us would be willing to lend a hand. Thank you.

                        Pete
                        Message 12 of 20 , Aug 8, 2010
                          Position list is almost done. I spent quite a bit of time on it today. We have a few input issues that need to be reconciled, but we're close. I expect the list to go out this week.

                          Message 13 of 20 , Aug 11, 2010
                            Ok, I've finished the positions. I need to do a quick error check, but then I'll be able to post it. Everyone should have it for the weekend.

                            Message 14 of 20 , Aug 13, 2010
                              Great news Dave!  Looking forward to it.

                              Joe

                              To: hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 15 of 20 , May 15 6:25 AM
                                Is the position listing for next year complete? If it is, can it be made available?

                                Pete
                              • prdallara
                                Message 16 of 20 , May 15 6:26 AM

                                  Message 17 of 20 , May 15 9:33 AM
                                    Not quite yet. Another week or so til it's all sorted out.

                                    Message 18 of 20 , May 15 1:36 PM
                                      I'm willing to do Pittsburgh .
                                      DAVE

                                      Message 19 of 20 , May 15 4:32 PM

                                        Actually stopped what I was doing on the disk stats-wise today, and jumped in the position listings. Should have this out in a day or so....I'm a good way through it.