disk is done

    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 4, 2008
      The disk is done, and has gone over to the webmaster at apbahockey.com
      for posting.
      I hope there are no more errors.....Herb and I did a major scrub on it
      over the past few days. Caught quite a few things. Hope we caught them
      all. If you see anything bizarre, please let me know ASAP, in case we
      need to do a major fix and issue another disk. Minor errors will be
      compiled here and league commissioners can make those changes by hand.

      I will post a full report on the process, the issues, and the results.
      As always, there were some game engine issues that we had to wrestle
      with on assists, penalties, shots on goal, etc. Not all fell into line
      to my total satisfaction, but I got it under control the best I could.
      We will have discussions on improving the process for next year....the
      very late arrival of the reviews made things difficult to make the
      release of the disk before the season. That will be avoided at all costs
      next year. Final tally on simmed games during testing was right at
      950000. The variances on many of the stats are the lowest ever, but
      there were some adjustments and tweaks that will probably rile up some.
      We had a few problem teams that were overperforming by 25+% that needed
      to be extensively adjusted....sorry to gore some sacred cows, but it's
      all in the name of the correct numbers and stats (and the best accuracy
      disk), not to keep any sanctity of specific ratings. Read the report
      once I write it up (give me 7 or 8 days). It will have lots of graphs,
      so math phobes beware.

      Thanks again for being patient. I will be sending out an email to thank
      those that did the behind the scenes work of stat collecting and doing
      reviews sometime in the near future.

    • Mike Jordan
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 4, 2008
        Thanks for all your hard work. We all appreciate what you and your
        team have done.

      • mksee88@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
          Do we have a download link or page available yet?

          mike c

        • Jerry Howell
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008

            it’s the download section at apbahockey.com, but no sign of the disk or Brian..

            Jerry Howell

            Esther Enterprises/Tim Hortons

            860-514-4550

            Store 9916

            7 Salem Turnpike

            Norwich CT 06360

            Store 9936

            1250 Goldstar Highway

            Groton CT 06340

            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
              I left on a business trip last night...I will get it uploaded when I get to
              the hotel tonight at the latest

              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
                Great thanks Brian. It is too bad that the disk couldn't be posted
                under the files in this group as well, that'd be good too.

                Matt Young

                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
                  DON'T understand why the disk couldn't have been sent out
                  to the disk team.
                  DAVE

                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
                    Because I finished it up at 1:18 am EST, after taking the day off from work to fix the problems and finish it, and by then, I just wanted to get to be done with it and let Brian work on getting it posted to the site. Digging up a ton of email addresses was not on my agenda by that point.

                    Dave Bole wrote:

                    DON'T understand why the disk couldn't have been sent out
                    to the disk team.
                    DAVE

                    ---
                    ._,___

                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
                      Message
                      And because I coordinated the ratings, I have all those e-mails. Dave doesn't. I was awake at 1:18 a.m. and Dave said he sent it to Brian for posting so I went to bed. When I got home from work today, I looked at my e-mail, saw Brian was going to post it later tonight and figured any reasonable person could wait a couple of hours. (I don't have the final disk either, so I couldn't have sent it out anyway). I DON'T understand the big deal about waiting a couple of more hours.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
                        Just my opinion but I don't mind waiting, although it is hard because of the anticipation.

                        I knew Brian was out of town because he posted his upcoming trip on facebook :)

                        as they say

                        patience is a virtue

                        I appreciate the disk and am happy whenever it comes out.

                        ANTICIPATION

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MuEtGPXLPI&feature=related

                        paul

                      • refmattyoung
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
                          Yeah I have no problem waiting a few more hours either.

                          I was just moreso wondering why we don't use the group for more
                          things that's all.

                          Dave/Herb - thanks for everything you did to make this possible this
                          year. Whatever you need next year, let me know as I'm more than
                          happy to help again.

                          Matt Young

                          --- In hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com, paul canosa <lextalionis2001@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Just my opinion but I don't mind waiting, although it is hard
                          because of the anticipation.

                          > I knew Brian was out of town because he posted his upcoming trip on
                          facebook :)

                          > as they say
                          >
                          > patience is a virtue
                          >
                          > I appreciate the disk and am happy whenever it comes out.
                          >
                          > ANTICIPATION
                          >
                          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MuEtGPXLPI&feature=related
                          >
                          > paul

                        • Adam Ardis
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
                            There's really no need to be an ingrate.  When it's available it's available, nobody is getting paid to upload
                            anything at 1:18am and there's hardly an obligation to do so.

                            Great work everyone, the hard work is appreciated!

                            Adam
                            http://www.rhlcentral.com:8080

                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
                              i'm on the edge of my seat

                              but i just go on playing my 2006-07 capitals season to pass the time

                              everyone's hard work for no pay is greatly appreciated

                              chris w

                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 5, 2008
                                    Hey....SORRY !!!!!  I didn't mean to start and up roar on this thing.
                                I participated in the creating of the disk by doing the ratings.
                                I was just asking a question....didn't mean to step on anyones toes.....
                                DAVE

                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 6, 2008

                                  There are reasons that we choose to only make the disc available here….one is the ability to control the distribution and know how much it is being downloaded…the other is to do so in a legal fashion…call it a cover your butt kind of thing.

                                  Also we are trying to build apbahockey.com as it generates a lot more traffic then the yahoo group, and has brought a number of new players to the game in the short time it has been around…..everything we do is basically done with the goal of keeping APBA Hockey….

                                  Oh…and the disk is posted at www.apbahockey.com

                                  Brian

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 6, 2008
                                    Brian,
                                         Thanks for the explanation, I appreciate it.  Logged into the site
                                    (after getting a new password) and was able to download the 08-09
                                    file with ease.
                                    TKS
                                    DAVE

                                    There are reasons that we choose to only make the disc available here….one is the ability to control the distribution and know how much it is being downloaded…the other is to do so in a legal fashion…call it a cover your butt kind of thing.

                                    Also we are trying to build apbahockey.com as it generates a lot more traffic then the yahoo group, and has brought a number of new players to the game in the short time it has been around…..everything we do is basically done with the goal of keeping APBA Hockey….

                                    Oh…and the disk is posted at www.apbahockey. com

                                    Brian

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 16, 2011
                                      I have finished the final error issues on the disk. Thanks to all that
                                      helped run the home stretch (Herb, Brian, Ken, Chris) the past week. I
                                      sent to Brian to post for download. He'll likely provide a link here for
                                      it.
                                      If you find any issues, please let me know ASAP. If I have to issue an
                                      updated disk, I'd prefer to do it before all the leagues have started
                                      using it and have to redact things.
                                      Thanks!

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 16, 2011
                                        Can't wait Dave...Once again:  Thanks!!!

                                        Joe

                                        To: hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Oct 17, 2011

                                          Dave, I noticed that Blake Wheeler is a RW only on the disk. When you published the position list, he was a RW LW C. Which is correct?

                                          Pete

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Oct 17, 2011
                                            Ok, first post release error. Kudos to Peter for noticing it.
                                            Wheeler should be RW LW C
                                            This might be an issue from him playing just RW with one team and then playing all 3 after the trade. When I imported things over to the combined disk side, I might have just pulled from one of the listings, and not checked the other.

                                            Everyone, please add LW and C to the pos rank field for Wheeler, and also add SOG rating, SOG+ rating and DEF rating at those positions.

                                            Do I need to just release another disk?