ratings groups

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 24 8:36 AM
      Hey everyone,
      Just checking in on the ratings progress. Hopefully by now you should
      have your preliminary ratings done so that you can start discussing them
      with the other group members. Our reason for doing the ratings in season
      was so that if group members differed there was still some time to watch
      some games. Also, the sooner we get the ratings done, the sooner Dave
      gets the disk finished and maybe he can actually enjoy some of his
      summer.

      Anyway, the discussion process should be underway. In the next few days
      I'll be sending out a scouting report update with comments from the
      Hockey News. That should provide a little more current info and help
      with some of the lesser known players.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 17, 2009
        Message
        Hey guys,
        I'll likely start sending out teams this week to the various groups. I'll give a couple of days notice as to the team and whoever wants to be part of that group can respond and I'll send out all the necessary info.

        My process for doing the ratings was as follows. First, I rated the players using the scouting report and information gathered from other sources such as The Hockey News, daily papers that cover the teams, etc. I only rated players on skills where there was information available. From there I filled in the blanks using Iast year's ratings as a baseline. Next, I did a statistical analysis and made adjustments where I saw fit.

        One of the biggest areas that will need attention of the groups is rookies. In cases where I didn't have enough (or any) information, or a last year's ratings to use as a baseline, I've left it blank. So if there's a team or teams that you know you will be getting involved with, you can get a jump on it by doing some prep work on those guys.

        I've rated 836 players. The cutoff was nine games played with the following exceptions.

        Players with 7 or 8 games played who appeared on last year's disk:
        Mark Weber, Buffalo; Jack Skille, Chicago; Aaron Rome, Craig MacDonald, Columbus; J.F. Jacques, Edmonton; Matt Moulson, Los Angeles; Mike Sillinger, NY Islanders; Joel Perreault, Phoenix; Jeff Taffe, Pittsburgh; Steve Regier, St. Louis; Brandon Bochenski, Tampa Bay.

        Players whose teams had 20 skaters or less, in which case, the player with the next most number of games was added:
        Clay Wilson, Atlanta;  Corey Potter, NY Rangers.

        For goalies, the cutoff was five games. There were no exceptions.

        Anyway, keep an eye out, I'll let you know when a team is ready.

        Herb
      • dadadove@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 18, 2009
          herb, any chance the position list is ready at this point?

          chris wolter

          Amazing. Thank you for the awesome work Herb.  Here's to making this disk the best one yet!