Re: [hockeydisk] call for raters for next season

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 13, 2008
      Hi Joe,
      If I could ask you to help out with one more team, is there one in particular that you would be comfortable with?
      All are available except:
      Boston, Calgary, Chicago, Columbus, Detoit, LA, Montreal, Ottawa, Philly, Pittsburgh and Toronto.

      Joe Sutherland wrote:

      Hey Fellas,

      I'll volunteer to do Pittsburgh and Calgary for sure.  I am also available to do other teams if you need it.

      Joe

      To: hockeydisk@yahoogro ups.com
      From: herbgarbutt@ cogeco.ca
      Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 22:54:01 -0500
      Subject: [hockeydisk] call for raters for next season

      Hey APBA hockey fans,

      We're going to look at a new way of doing the ratings this year. Rather
      than having people rating the entire league, what we're going to do is
      form smaller committees of three to five people for each team. We
      believe (and hope) this will improve the ratings process in many ways:

      1/ The committees will be made up of people who watch that team
      regularly, therefore are more familiar with the team.
      2/ If you know you're only focusing on one or two teams, you ca n start
      formulating your ratings now as the season progresses, rather than
      waiting for the end of the season. This will hopefully allow us get the
      ratings to Dave earlier and help him in getting the disk out earlier, or
      at least give him more time so he doesn't end up trying to pack all his
      work into a short period of time.
      3/ Raters will not have to guess on little used fourth liners from teams
      they may have seen only once or twice all season.
      4/ The committees can exchange their ra tings throughout the year, and
      debate and make their cases for certain ratings during the season or
      shortly. Hopefully this will eliminate many of the debates that come up
      after the disk is released.
      5/ This process will hopefully eliminate the averaging of player
      ratings, that tends to gravitate things toward 3s and leave us very few
      1s, 5s and probably not enough 2s either.
      6/ We'll have a committee that will oversee the whole process. It's goal
      will be to check for consistency. (W hat one group sees as a four,
      another may see as a five).

      In order to assist raters, I've redone the scouting report, breaking
      down each player skill by skill. I should have a preliminary scouting
      report done before the new year for the different committees.

      If you would like to be on a team's ratings committee, send me an e-mail
      with your top two choices. As soon as we fill the teams up, we'll get
      things rolling.

      We look forward to putting out an even better disk than th e great ones
      Dave does for us year after year.

      Thanks,

      Herb Garbutt

      Books, DVD's, gadgets, music and more. Shop online with Sympatico / MSN Shopping today!
    • Sylvain Dallaire
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 14, 2008
        Hi guys,
        Would it be possible to get all of the Teams Scouting Reports. And by the way if i can help with another teams let me know i'm presently doing (Monteral and Ottawa)
        Tahnks
        Sylvain

        Joe Sutherland wrote:

> [...]
        > four,
        > another may see as a five).
        >
        > In order to assist raters, I've redone the scouting report,
        > breaking
        > down each player skill by skill. I should have a preliminary
        > scouting
        > report done before the new year for the different
        > committees.
        >
        > If you would like to be on a team's ratings committee, send
        > me an e-mail
        > with your top two choices. As soon as we fill the teams up,
        > we'll get
        > things rolling.
        >
        > We look forward to putting out an even better disk than th e
        > great ones
        > Dave does for us year after year.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Herb Garbutt

        > Books, DVD's, gadgets, music and more. Shop online with Sympatico /

        Sylvain Dallaire

        Découvrez les styles qui font sensation sur Yahoo! Québec Avatars

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 15, 2008

          Hey Herb,

          I could do Phoenix in addition to Calgary and Pittsburgh if it helps.

          Joe

          To: hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com
          From: herbgarbutt@...
          Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 18:04:59 -0500
          Subject: Re: [hockeydisk] call for raters for next season

          Hi Joe,
          If I could ask you to help out with one more team, is there one in particular that you would be comfortable with?
          All are available except:
          Boston, Calgary, Chicago, Columbus, Detoit, LA, Montreal, Ottawa, Philly, Pittsburgh and Toronto. Thanks,

          Herb

          To: hockeydisk@yahoogro ups.com