Steps to successfully save box scores using the Automatic Scheduler

  • sdvallery
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2007
      I'm fairly new to the group, and I have read (Messages 3808, 3809 and
      3832 come to mind) that it is currently not possible to save
      boxscores to a file when running the Automatic Scheduler. I have
      been working on this issue, and I have found a way to run a schedule
      and save the game summaries to a text file.

      Using a small, simple freeware program I found on the Web called
      PRN2FILE, you can run APBA Hockey through a DOS window in Windows XP
      and the output from your printer port is redirected to a text file. I
      have successfully tested this with multiple seasons that use both the
      computer coach mode and autoroster.

      In case there is interest, the steps to get this up and running are
      listed here:
      - Download and save PRN2FILE from
      ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/printer/prn2fil3.zip. Unzip
      to C:\ or whichever drive letter is your main hard drive.
      - In the column titled SD in the schedule you are running in APBA
      Hockey, make sure and add an S for summary or a D for detailed,
      depending on which type of gamefile (box score) you would like to
      output. Add the S or D to all games on the schedule you wish to
      output to the text file that will be created through PRN2FILE.

      What PRN2FILE does is "fool" the program you are using into thinking
      there is an actual printer attached. The output that would normally
      be printed to hard copy is outputted to a text file instead.

      - once PRN2FILE is installed on the hard drive and the schedule is
      set up properly with the S or D designation for print output, select
      Start, Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt;
      - when the Command Prompt window opens, type cd\ to return to the C:
      prompt;
      - type prn2file c:\games.txt /b64 /A (where prn2file is the program
      name, c:\games.txt is the text file where the box scores will be
      saved to, /b64 is the maximum buffer size (to ensure that as many as
      1200+ box scores can be saved in one file), and /A tells PRN2FILE to
      append to (add to) the current text file (in this case c:\games.txt)
      as long as the text filename doesn't change).

      You may choose to name your output text file whatever you wish and
      the path can also be set to whichever directory you would like to
      save the file to. When you name the output text file, be sure to
      keep the name to less than 8 characters, or PRN2FILE will create an
      output text file with no data!

      One other note regarding the syntax above. If your printer port is
      not set up on LPT1, you must use a switch to point PRN2FILE to the
      correct port for output. For example, if your printer port is LPT2,
      add the switch /p2 anywhere in the command line shown above.

      - you will know that PRN2FILE is running correctly if you see the
      following text messages:

      Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
      (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

      C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>cd\

      C:\>prn2file c:\games.txt /b64 /A
      PRN2FILE 1.1 (c) 1987 Ziff Communications Co.
      Modifications (c) 1991 Automated Answers
      LPT1 Redirected to: c:\games.txt

      C:\>

      the most important message being the last one: LPT1 Redirected to:
      c:\games.txt

      - from the new C:\> prompt, type the path where APBA Hockey resides
      on your computer. For example, my command line would read C:\>apba
      since my APBA folder is located on my C:\ drive and is named apba.
      Press Enter.
      - at the next prompt, type hockey to run the program;

      At this point, the program opens in full screen, so I always select
      Alt-Enter to toggle to a window view. This way I can open Aphcomm
      and also keep the Command Prompt window open at all times. Once the
      Command Prompt window closes, PRN2FILE stops running, and the process
      needs to start over from the beginning;

      Another note about the Command Prompt window. You will always know
      that PRN2FILE is running if you see the command line you typed in to
      start PRN2FILE (in my case prn2file c:\games.txt /b64 /A) showing in
      the title bar at the very top of the window. In my case, this title
      bar is blue with white text.

      Once these steps have been completed, you can use APBA Hockey as
      normal. You can minimize the Command Prompt window. As long as it
      doesn't close down (exit) while simming, all is good. If it does
      close down (exit), the simmed games will not output to the text file.

      - when finished using APBA and/or PRN2FILE, just type exit at a C:\
      prompt in the Command Prompt window and the window will close.

      - At any time, even while running PRN2FILE, you can open the output
      text file with no ill effects. Of course, being a text file, it can
      be opened in a multitude of ways in order to format or manipulate the
      output.

      I don't believe I have forgotten anything major, but if you do try
      these steps, please let me know if there are any issues with what
      I've provided. I can't guarantee that all will work perfectly with
      your system, but I have successfully used it in Windows XP without
      doing anything extreme to run it.

      Regards,
      Scott
    • jpster3
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 18, 2007
        Scott,

        You are my hero!!! This works great! I've been waiting for a
        solution to this problem forever. As someone who autoplays his games,
        it's great to finally view those darn box scores in a text file.

        I'd pretty much given up playing the game because it seemed rather
        pointless just looking at final scores without ever knowing who scored
        or what the heck happened in a game. Now I don't have to resort to
        printing and can get back to the game I've played for years!

        Thanks again, Scott!

        John

        --- In hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com, "sdvallery" <svallery@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > normal. You can minimize the Command Prompt window. As long as it
        > doesn't close down (exit) while simming, all is good. If it does
        > close down (exit), the simmed games will not output to the text file.
        >
        > - when finished using APBA and/or PRN2FILE, just type exit at a C:\
        > prompt in the Command Prompt window and the window will close.
        >
        > - At any time, even while running PRN2FILE, you can open the output
        > text file with no ill effects. Of course, being a text file, it can
        > be opened in a multitude of ways in order to format or manipulate the
        > output.
        >
        > I don't believe I have forgotten anything major, but if you do try
        > these steps, please let me know if there are any issues with what
        > I've provided. I can't guarantee that all will work perfectly with
        > your system, but I have successfully used it in Windows XP without

      • Sylvain Dallaire
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 29, 2007
          Hi Guys,
          I can't run APBA with Windows Vista and can't run Box Pro and any utilities for APBA hockey...
          Can someone please help me ?
          Thansk
          Sylvain

          Découvrez ce qui fait jaser les gens ! Visitez les groupes de l'heure sur Yahoo! Québec Groupes.
        • Adam Ardis
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 29, 2007
            You won't be able to, Vista doesn't play well with DOS
            programs anymore. I downloaded MS Virtual PC
            2007(free download) and installed Windows XP in order
            to get it going. It's a little hassle, but if you've
            got no other alternatives it may be your only choice.
            That or VM Player.

            Good luck!

            --- Sylvain Dallaire <dall013@...> wrote:

            > Hi Guys,
            > I can't run APBA with Windows Vista and can't run
            > Box Pro and any utilities for APBA hockey...
            > Can someone please help me ?
            > Thansk
            > Sylvain
            >

            > ---------------------------------
            > Découvrez ce qui fait jaser les gens ! Visitez les
            > groupes de l'heure sur Yahoo! Québec Groupes.

            http://autos.yahoo.com/index.html
          • Gary Brown
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 30, 2007
              What about the 32 bit version of Aphcomm? What is the status of
              that? Vista is going to be a fixture soon, it is tough to buy a
              computer without it.

              I currently run a league and play all the games, but Vista will not
              be an issue for me. I just got a new machine with Vista, but plan to
              use a VMWare image to play the games. It would be nice if team
              owners (ie. guys who just submit lineups) don't have to worry about
              that.

              Thanks,
              Gary Brown

              ______________
              > Don't let your dream ride pass you by. Make it a reality with
              Yahoo! Autos.

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 30, 2007

                The latest build of APHCOMM available at www.apbahockey.com will install on Vista.  Also, I have abuild of Boxpro, but I haven’t distributed it yet.  Ill see what I need to do to get a release of that out.  As far as running the game….you can download DosBox and run it there.  Im posting a blog at apbahockey.com in the next few days with instructions on running DOSBox

                Brian

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
                  Thanks Brian, that is good news.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 7, 2007
                    HI Brian
                    Did you have time to write you Blog as far as how to make APBA Hockey work with window vista ?
                    I have download DosBox but can't make it work
                    Thanks
                    Sylvain

                    --- Sylvain Dallaire <dall013@yahoo. ca> wrote:

                    > Hi Guys,
                    > I can't run APBA with Windows Vista and can't run
                    > Box Pro and any utilities for APBA hockey...
                    > Can someone please help me ?
                    > Thansk
                    > Sylvain

                    > Découvrez ce qui fait jaser les gens ! Visitez les
                    > groupes de l'heure sur Yahoo! Québec Groupes.

                    http://autos. yahoo.com/ index.html

                    Obtenez des réponses à vos questions ! Profitez des connaissances et des opinions des internautes sur Yahoo! Questions/Réponses.