Re: Microsoft Vista

  • David Gowdey
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3 5:31 PM
      Can anyone tell me if there is a problem running APBA Hockey on Vista? Thanks

      Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
    • Brad Utterstrom
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4 1:43 PM
        I beleive APBA is not compatible with Vista, but I'm not 100% sure. I
        tried to get it working on my gf's laptop with no luck, so if someone
        figures out how to use it with Vista, I'm curious to find out how.
        -Bradu

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4 3:04 PM

          You have to install a DOS Emulator like “DOSBox” and run it under that.  Ive been trying to find time to put together a tutorial on DOSBox for APBA guys here..but Ive been crazy on time.  You can download it here (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1)

           Below is a copy and paste of my config file.  This will only work if your game is installed at D:\APBA\Hockey

          Copy and paste this into C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.70\Dosbox.config

          If you have any further questions…you can post them at www.apbahockey.com

          Brian

          [sdl]

          # fullscreen -- Start dosbox directly in fullscreen.

          # fulldouble -- Use double buffering in fullscreen.

          # fullresolution -- What resolution to use for fullscreen: original or fixed size (e.g. 1024x768).

          # windowresolution -- Scale the window to this size IF the output device supports hardware scaling.

          # output -- What to use for output: surface,overlay,opengl,openglnb,ddraw.

          # autolock -- Mouse will automatically lock, if you click on the screen.

          # sensitiviy -- Mouse sensitivity.

          # waitonerror -- Wait before closing the console if dosbox has an error.

          # priority -- Priority levels for dosbox: lowest,lower,normal,higher,highest,pause (when not focussed).

          #             Second entry behind the comma is for when dosbox is not focused/minimized.

          # mapperfile -- File used to load/save the key/event mappings from.

          # usescancodes -- Avoid usage of symkeys, might not work on all operating systems.

          fullscreen=false

          fulldouble=false

          fullresolution=original

          windowresolution=original

          output=surface

          autolock=true

          sensitivity=100

          waitonerror=true

          priority=higher,normal

          mapperfile=mapper.txt

          usescancodes=true

          [dosbox]

          # language -- Select another language file.

          # memsize -- Amount of memory dosbox has in megabytes.

          # machine -- The type of machine tries to emulate:hercules,cga,tandy,pcjr,vga.

          # captures -- Directory where things like wave,midi,screenshot get captured.

          language=

          machine=vga

          captures=capture

          memsize=16

          [render]

          # frameskip -- How many frames dosbox skips before drawing one.

          # aspect -- Do aspect correction, if your output method doesn't support scaling this can slow things down!.

          # scaler -- Scaler used to enlarge/enhance low resolution modes.

          #           Supported are none,normal2x,normal3x,advmame2x,advmame3x,hq2x,hq3x,

          #                         2xsai,super2xsai,supereagle,advinterp2x,advinterp3x,

          #                         tv2x,tv3x,rgb2x,rgb3x,scan2x,scan3x.

          frameskip=0

          aspect=false

          scaler=normal2x

          [cpu]

          # core -- CPU Core used in emulation: normal,dynamic,auto.

          #         auto switches from normal to dynamic if appropriate.

          # cycles -- Amount of instructions dosbox tries to emulate each millisecond.

          #           Setting this higher than your machine can handle is bad!

          #           You can also let DOSBox guess the correct value by setting it to max.

          #           The default setting (auto) switches to max if appropriate.

          # cycleup   -- Amount of cycles to increase/decrease with keycombo.

          # cycledown    Setting it lower than 100 will be a percentage.

          core=auto

          cycles=30000

          cycleup=500

          cycledown=20

          [vga]

          # svgachipset -- Select one of the following supported SVGA chipsets:

          #                s3 (default), et4000, et4000new, et3000, pvga1a, or none.

          #                Full chipset name (like 'Tseng ET4000') will also work

          #                as long as it contains one of the strings above.

          # videoram -- Amount of video memory on emulated SVGA. Not all emulated

          #             chipsets support this setting.

          svgachipset=S3

          videoram=2048

          [mixer]

          # nosound -- Enable silent mode, sound is still emulated though.

          # rate -- Mixer sample rate, setting any devices higher than this will

          #         probably lower their sound quality.

          # blocksize -- Mixer block size, larger blocks might help sound stuttering

          #              but sound will also be more lagged.

          # prebuffer -- How many milliseconds of data to keep on top of the blocksize.

          nosound=false

          rate=22050

          blocksize=2048

          prebuffer=10

          [midi]

          # mpu401      -- Type of MPU-401 to emulate: none, uart or intelligent.

          # device      -- Device that will receive the MIDI data from MPU-401.

          #                This can be default,alsa,oss,win32,coreaudio,none.

          # config      -- Special configuration options for the device. In Windows put

          #                the id of the device you want to use. See README for details.

          mpu401=intelligent

          device=default

          config=

          [sblaster]

          # sbtype -- Type of sblaster to emulate:none,sb1,sb2,sbpro1,sbpro2,sb16.

          # sbbase,irq,dma,hdma -- The IO/IRQ/DMA/High DMA address of the soundblaster.

          # mixer -- Allow the soundblaster mixer to modify the dosbox mixer.

          # oplmode -- Type of OPL emulation: auto,cms,opl2,dualopl2,opl3.

          #            On auto the mode is determined by sblaster type.

          #            All OPL modes are 'Adlib', except for CMS.

          # oplrate -- Sample rate of OPL music emulation.

          sbtype=sb16

          sbbase=220

          irq=7

          dma=1

          hdma=5

          mixer=true

          oplmode=auto

          oplrate=22050

          [gus]

          # gus -- Enable the Gravis Ultrasound emulation.

          # gusbase,irq1,irq2,dma1,dma2 -- The IO/IRQ/DMA addresses of the

          #            Gravis Ultrasound. (Same IRQ's and DMA's are OK.)

          # gusrate -- Sample rate of Ultrasound emulation.

          # ultradir -- Path to Ultrasound directory.  In this directory

          #             there should be a MIDI directory that contains

          #             the patch files for GUS playback.  Patch sets used

          #             with Timidity should work fine.

          gus=true

          gusrate=22050

          gusbase=240

          irq1=5

          irq2=5

          dma1=3

          dma2=3

          ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

          [speaker]

          # pcspeaker -- Enable PC-Speaker emulation.

          # pcrate -- Sample rate of the PC-Speaker sound generation.

          # tandy -- Enable Tandy Sound System emulation (off,on,auto).

          #          For auto Tandysound emulation is present only if machine is set to tandy.

          # tandyrate -- Sample rate of the Tandy 3-Voice generation.

          # disney -- Enable Disney Sound Source emulation.

          pcspeaker=true

          pcrate=22050

          tandy=auto

          tandyrate=22050

          [bios]

          # joysticktype -- Type of joystick to emulate: none, 2axis, 4axis,

          #                 fcs (Thrustmaster) ,ch (CH Flightstick).

          #                 none disables joystick emulation.

          #                 2axis is the default and supports two joysticks.

          joysticktype=2axis

          [serial]

          # serial1-4 -- set type of device connected to com port.

          #              Can be disabled, dummy, modem, directserial.

          #              Additional parameters must be in the same line in the form of

          #              parameter:value. Parameters for all types are irq, startbps, bytesize,

          #              stopbits, parity (all optional).

          #              for directserial: realport (required).

          #              for modem: listenport (optional).

          #              Example: serial1=modem listenport:5000

          serial1=dummy

          serial2=dummy

          serial3=disabled

          serial4=disabled

          [parallel]

          # parallel1-3 -- set type of device connected to lpt port.

          #              Can be reallpt

          #              Additional parameters must be in the same line in the form of

          #              parameter:value.

          #              for directlpt: realaddress (the base address of your real parallel port).

          #              Can be 378, 278 or 3BC. The first two can be ECP ports.

          #              Default: 378

          #              You must install the PortTalk driver from

          #              http://www.beyondlogic.org/porttalk/porttalk.htm first.

          parallel1=disabled

          parallel2=disabled

          parallel3=disabled

          [dos]

          # xms -- Enable XMS support.

          # ems -- Enable EMS support.

          # umb -- Enable UMB support (false,true,max).

          # keyboardlayout -- Language code of the keyboard layout (or none).

          xms=true

          ems=true

          umb=true

          keyboardlayout=none

          [ipx]

          # ipx -- Enable ipx over UDP/IP emulation.

          ipx=true

          [autoexec]

          # Lines in this section will be run at startup.

          #mount a a:\ -t floppy

          #mount e e:\ -t cdrom

          mount c d:\

          mount d d:\

          d:

          cd apba

          cd hockey

          hockey

          I beleive APBA is not compatible with Vista, but I'm not 100% sure. I
          tried to get it working on my gf's laptop with no luck, so if someone
          figures out how to use it with Vista, I'm curious to find out how.
          -Bradu

          --- In hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com, David Gowdey <dgowdey2@...> wrote:

          > Can anyone tell me if there is a problem running APBA Hockey on
          Vista? Thanks

          knows.
          > Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

        • Andrew Martin
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4 4:24 PM
            Possibly easier is using one of the 'front-end' applications which let you setup
            items like this
            through GUI interfaces and then let you save them on a per-application basis.

            http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?page=DOSBoxFrontends

            Andrew