assist question

  • dadadove@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2006
       Can anyone tell me what purpose the assist rating serves?  There doesn't seem to be any logic player to player.  thanks Chris

    • Eymond Toupin
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2006
        I have a related question.  It would seem to me that assist ratings and passing skills (and likely also defensive rating) are related.  Some players appear to have disproportionally large assist ratings (e.g. Horcoff).  Does this tend to compensate for passing and defensive (or other skill ratings) which have been set to low by the raters?  I get the impression that when player skill ratings are out of whack that the so-called hidden ratings get tweaked to almost ridiculous levels to compensate.  It may also be that the linemates have not been rated properly.  In the case of Horcoff for example, his linemates may be rated as complete stone hands.  In order to get Horcoff assists it is necessary to jack up his assist rating whereas it may be that his linemates have been rated to poorly with respect to skills related to scoring.

        Eymond Toupin

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2006
          Dave explained this earlier..  See below.

          The assists issue is a very well known APBA game engine issue. I tried to
          fix it a bit in version 4.0 back a long time ago, but only got part way
          there. The high assist/min players are still going to be low. To
          compensate for that, I tweaked some of the ASR ratings up quite a bit (Joe
          Thornton, the poster child for this problem, has an ASR rating of 999 and
          is still low on assists!). This year you will see a lot of ASR ratings
          over 200 on the disk (which was unheard of in the past), but I wanted the
          assist numbers to fall into line the best I could. Not much more I could
          do on this one.

          Herb

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2006
            thanks!! a new guy in our league wanted to know and i couldn't really answer him.  chris