expanded stats

    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 15, 2005
      Hey guys,
      Don't know if anyone has noticed this but on NHL.com, they are providing
      game-by-game expanded stats.

      If you go on to NHL.com, click on scores, it brings up all the games.
      Then click on super expanded stats, it gives you hits, giveaways,
      takeaways, missed shots, blocked shots, faceoffs etc.

      Still, I don't see anywhere where they are giving these stats compiled
      for the season. However, I noticed if you run your mouse over them and
      hit copy, open an Excel sheet and hit paste, you can paste them into the
      sheet, nicely divided into columns.

      I'm not great with Excel but I'm sure there's a way that if all the
      games are collected, you can run something that will automatically
      compile them. It would be great to have these for a disk.

      Herb
    • David Elkin
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 15, 2005
        Herb Garbutt wrote:

        > Hey guys,
        > Don't know if anyone has noticed this but on NHL.com, they are providing
        > game-by-game expanded stats.
        >
        > If you go on to NHL.com, click on scores, it brings up all the games.
        > Then click on super expanded stats, it gives you hits, giveaways,
        > takeaways, missed shots, blocked shots, faceoffs etc.
        >
        > Still, I don't see anywhere where they are giving these stats compiled
        > for the season. However, I noticed if you run your mouse over them and
        > hit copy, open an Excel sheet and hit paste, you can paste them into the
        > sheet, nicely divided into columns.
        >
        > I'm not great with Excel but I'm sure there's a way that if all the
        > games are collected, you can run something that will automatically
        > compile them. It would be great to have these for a disk.
        >
        > Herb

        Good call Herb. Let's see what I can come up with.

        Dave Elkin
      • David Elkin
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 15, 2005
          Herb Garbutt wrote:

          > Hey guys,
          > Don't know if anyone has noticed this but on NHL.com, they are providing
          > game-by-game expanded stats.
          >
          > If you go on to NHL.com, click on scores, it brings up all the games.
          > Then click on super expanded stats, it gives you hits, giveaways,
          > takeaways, missed shots, blocked shots, faceoffs etc.
          >
          > Still, I don't see anywhere where they are giving these stats compiled
          > for the season. However, I noticed if you run your mouse over them and
          > hit copy, open an Excel sheet and hit paste, you can paste them into the
          > sheet, nicely divided into columns.
          >
          > I'm not great with Excel but I'm sure there's a way that if all the
          > games are collected, you can run something that will automatically
          > compile them. It would be great to have these for a disk.
          >
          > Herb

          First, are these the stats you are talking about? Excell attached. I
          just did one game.

          Dave
        • David Elkin
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 15, 2005
            Herb Garbutt wrote:

            > Those are the ones.
            >
            > Herb
            >
            > David Elkin wrote:

            Hmm, 2 questions then. I am not sure I can get back to the start of the
            season.

            and the bigger question is

            How does APBA game handle the new rules. Is the ability to create the
            disk going to allow us to have shootsouts?

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 15, 2005
              Those are the ones.

              Herb

              David Elkin wrote:

              > Herb Garbutt wrote:
              >
              > > Hey guys,
              > > Don't know if anyone has noticed this but on NHL.com, they are providing
              > > game-by-game expanded stats.
              > >
              > > If you go on to NHL.com, click on scores, it brings up all the games.
              > > Then click on super expanded stats, it gives you hits, giveaways,
              > > takeaways, missed shots, blocked shots, faceoffs etc.
              > >
              > > Still, I don't see anywhere where they are giving these stats compiled
              > > for the season. However, I noticed if you run your mouse over them and
              > > hit copy, open an Excel sheet and hit paste, you can paste them into the
              > > sheet, nicely divided into columns.
              > >
              > > I'm not great with Excel but I'm sure there's a way that if all the
              > > games are collected, you can run something that will automatically
              > > compile them. It would be great to have these for a disk.
              > >
              > > Herb
              > >

              > First, are these the stats you are talking about? Excell attached. I
              > just did one game.
              >
              > Dave
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > Name: Hockkey super stats.xls
              > Hockkey super stats.xls Type: Microsoft Excel Worksheet (application/vnd.ms-excel)
              > Encoding: base64
            • David Elkin
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 15, 2005
                Herb Garbutt wrote:

                > Those are the ones.
                >
                > Herb
                >
                > David Elkin wrote:

                I have answered my first question, as I found a way to go back and get
                all games.

                Dave
              • Craig Hale
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 15, 2005
                  check with Derrick Underwood, he was able to collect the stats from a hidden webpage of nhl.com previously.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 15, 2005
                    Herb Garbutt wrote:

                    > Yeah, just noticed that....they only go back to Wednesday. But having
                    > them for
                    > 78 games would be better than having them for none. We could easily
                    > extrapolate them over 82 games. I thought they would be archived
                    > somewhere but
                    > then this is the NHL we're talking about.
                    >
                    > APBA isn't going to allow us to do shootouts but I imagine it wouldn't
                    > be a
                    > difficult utility to make (taking into account that I say this knowing
                    > nothing
                    > about computer programming). Still it's a one-on-one showdown between
                    > goalie
                    > and shooter with stats being kept, much like baseball is a series of
                    > one-on-one showdowns between hitter and pitcher which makes it easier to
                    > simulate. And it should be easier than baseball because you only have two
                    > outcomes. Goal or save. Whereas in baseball you can have ground outs,
                    > flyouts,
                    > strikeouts, singles, doubles, triples, homers, errors plus any other
                    > combination of strange plays. It would be at least something to get us
                    > through
                    > until a new sim comes along that takes the shootout into account.
                    >
                    > Herb

                    I found a way to get them all.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 15, 2005

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 15, 2005
                        I think that might have been from the NHLPA site. They had a loophole that let people get in but they closed it midway through last season.

                        Herb