Re: [hockeydisk] Digest Number 620

  • Alan Tignanelli
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 8, 2005
      Lyle Richardson <spectorshockey@...> wrote:

      >I say give this CBA a couple of years before we start singing the praises of the NHL owners.
      >
      >There's already two potential flaws emerging. First is the length of the deals being signed, and second, the December 1 deadline for re-signing RFAs could result in more offer sheets, which under the cap system would force teams to match and then dump salary elsewhere or watch that player signed by another club.

      As opposed to the massive player movement that occurred before? I think
      having a deadline will result in more RFAs moving, as opposed to before
      when teams had little incentive to sign a player to an offer sheet.

      I think the praises of the owners can be sung now - the deal may be
      one-sided, but it's not a total wash for the players. The length of the
      deals is a problem if the teams can't get out from under the deals
      later, but I don't remember if they can or not.

      But for a really disappointing move...

      http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Vancouver/2005/08/08/1164523-cp.html

      Bertuzzi is now reinstated. So, let me see if I have this right - for
      his vicious attack on Steve Moore, Bertuzzi was essentially suspended
      for 20 games (13 regular season and 7 playoff). What a joke. Yes, I
      know Bertuzzi sat out for a full year - but so did everyone else. So
      it's not like he was singled out. Sure, he couldn't play in Europe or
      the minors, but I don't think that should factor into this. Bertuzzi
      got a slap on the wrist, Moore got an uncertain future. The end result
      for Bertuzzi is the same as if he'd been reinstated for the beginning of
      the 2004-05 season had it been played.

      Alan
    • Stephane S.
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 8, 2005
        Whats the worst suspension the NHL ever gave to a player?
        > >I say give this CBA a couple of years before we start singing the praises
        of the NHL owners.

        > >There's already two potential flaws emerging. First is the length of the
        deals being signed, and second, the December 1 deadline for re-signing RFAs
        could result in more offer sheets, which under the cap system would force
        teams to match and then dump salary elsewhere or watch that player signed by
        another club.

        > As opposed to the massive player movement that occurred before? I think
        > having a deadline will result in more RFAs moving, as opposed to before
        > when teams had little incentive to sign a player to an offer sheet.
        >
        > I think the praises of the owners can be sung now - the deal may be
        > one-sided, but it's not a total wash for the players. The length of the
        > deals is a problem if the teams can't get out from under the deals
        > later, but I don't remember if they can or not.
        >
        > But for a really disappointing move...
        >
        > http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Vancouver/2005/08/08/1164523-cp.html
        >
        > Bertuzzi is now reinstated. So, let me see if I have this right - for
        > his vicious attack on Steve Moore, Bertuzzi was essentially suspended
        > for 20 games (13 regular season and 7 playoff). What a joke. Yes, I
        > know Bertuzzi sat out for a full year - but so did everyone else. So
        > it's not like he was singled out. Sure, he couldn't play in Europe or
        > the minors, but I don't think that should factor into this. Bertuzzi
        > got a slap on the wrist, Moore got an uncertain future. The end result
        > for Bertuzzi is the same as if he'd been reinstated for the beginning of
        > the 2004-05 season had it been played.
        >
        > Alan
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Lyle Richardson
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 9, 2005
          There could still be massive player movement under this CBA, particularly
          with more liberalized free agency. As for those long term deals, they are a
          problem for the teams as any buyout will still count against their cap. It
          was only for this summer that buyouts wouldn't count. Thus, the only way
          they can get out of their long term signings without them counting against
          the cap would be via trades, and that's going to be much tougher now than it
          was in the past.

          As for your assessment on Bertuzzi, I wholly agree with your take.

          Cheers,

          Lyle Richardson
          Spector's Hockey
          www.spectorshockey.net

          >>I say give this CBA a couple of years before we start singing the praises
          >>of the NHL owners.
          >>
          >>There's already two potential flaws emerging. First is the length of the
          >>deals being signed, and second, the December 1 deadline for re-signing
          >>RFAs could result in more offer sheets, which under the cap system would
          >>force teams to match and then dump salary elsewhere or watch that player
          >>signed by another club.
          >>

          > As opposed to the massive player movement that occurred before? I think
          > having a deadline will result in more RFAs moving, as opposed to before
          > when teams had little incentive to sign a player to an offer sheet.
          >
          > I think the praises of the owners can be sung now - the deal may be
          > one-sided, but it's not a total wash for the players. The length of the
          > deals is a problem if the teams can't get out from under the deals
          > later, but I don't remember if they can or not.
          >
          > But for a really disappointing move...
          >
          > http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Vancouver/2005/08/08/1164523-cp.html
          >
          > Bertuzzi is now reinstated. So, let me see if I have this right - for
          > his vicious attack on Steve Moore, Bertuzzi was essentially suspended
          > for 20 games (13 regular season and 7 playoff). What a joke. Yes, I
          > know Bertuzzi sat out for a full year - but so did everyone else. So
          > it's not like he was singled out. Sure, he couldn't play in Europe or
          > the minors, but I don't think that should factor into this. Bertuzzi
          > got a slap on the wrist, Moore got an uncertain future. The end result
          > for Bertuzzi is the same as if he'd been reinstated for the beginning of
          > the 2004-05 season had it been played.
          >
          > Alan
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Lyle Richardson
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 9, 2005
            I think it was either Dale Hunter's for his hit on Pierre Turgeon in the 93
            playoffs or Marty McSorley for his lumberjack impersonation using Donald
            Brashear as a tree.

            Lyle Richardson
            Spector's Hockey
            www.spectorshockey.net

            > Whats the worst suspension the NHL ever gave to a player?

          • paul canosa
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 9, 2005
              Personally I think the questionable hit by dennis
              potvin on ulfie nilson should get a top 10 ranking for
              cheap shots. Potvins name still rings from the rafters
              and blueseats at the garden to this day.
              dp

              also this quote might be of interest to you

              "We want to play physical hockey. But I also tell
              players that if you get in a situation when you hit
              someone over the head with a stick or you run someone
              from behind and seriously injure them, you're going to
              New York by yourself for the hearing."

              - Canucks GM Brian Burke in 2001 after Boston's Marty
              McSorely clubbed Vancouver's Donald Brashear over the
              head with his stick.

              courtesy Ted Wyman Winnipeg Sun

              http://mail.yahoo.com