What about it, Bob?

  • David Elkin
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2005
      What about it, Bob?
      *NHLPA meeting could turn ugly*

      NHLPA President Bob Goodenow will address his players union membership
      today. (CP File Photo/Adrian Wyld)

      TORONTO -- There will be no hockey this season, but there should be
      plenty of shots fired at today's NHL Players' Association meetings.

      While NHLPA boss Bob Goodenow and the union's executive committee are
      going to face tough questions on why they flip-flopped on a salary cap,
      St. Louis' Chris Pronger, Calgary's Jarome Iginla along with Philly's
      Jeremy Roenick and Robert Esche will also come under fire.

      Senators centre Bryan Smolinski -- who won't be on for the session that
      started with a dinner last night -- told the Sun several players want
      Pronger et al to explain what role they were trying to play by calling
      NHL VP Bill Daly last month during stalled negotiations.

      "I know a lot of guys will be asking Pronger and (Roenick) exactly what
      their motivation was and what they were trying to do," said Smolinski.
      "If they've got the balls to call Bill Daly, then they should have the
      balls to stand up in front of us and explain what they were trying to do
      and why exactly they did it. I'm pretty sure that guys are going to
      demand an explanation."

      PLAYERS UNDER FIRE, TOO

      Roenick told the Philadelphia Inquirer last month that he was part of a
      group -- that included Pronger and Iginla -- who polled some members of
      the union to see if they'd be willing to accept a salary cap without a
      linkage to revenues.

      Pronger apologized to the players on their private website for his role
      in the scenario. Sources say he and the other players mentioned were
      ripped from "limb-to-limb" on the website.

      But not everybody will be pointing a finger at Pronger. Many players
      also want to know why Goodenow and the union decided to accept a salary
      cap when they had maintained through negotiations they would never
      accept a cap.

      "There will be lots of questions. This is a tough situation, but we've
      left ourselves time to salvage next year," Devils goalie Martin Brodeur
      said.

      This will be the first opportunity many players have had to vent since
      the lockout began. The meeting started yesterday with the players
      gathering at 4 p.m. and was expected to continue into the wee hours of
      the morning.

      "This is a chance to have a face-to-face meeting with the membership,"
      said Dallas winger Bill Guerin, a VP on the executive committee. "We're
      going to go through what's happened and address some of the issues (we
      face) in the future.

      LOOK FOR WORK IN EUROPE

      "I'm sure there's going to be all kinds of questions from the players
      and we welcome them all -- whether they're positive or negative. We know
      there are some guys out there who want some answers and we've got to
      address those issues."

      With no new CBA negotiations planned in the near future, it's expected
      players will be told today if they are offered a contract in Europe for
      next season, they should take it.

      "The two sides are just so far apart that I don't see any reason to
      believe there's going to be a simple resolution," said Guerin. "It's not
      really easy right now to sit back and look at which direction this is
      going to go in."