[hockeydisk] More on the hidden ratings

  • jeand@telusplanet.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 1999
      I really want to understand how APBA's shot-taking/goal-scoring process
      works.
      As the FACEOFF main programmer, I understood how that system worked.
      And I thought I understood how the APBA system worked since some of the
      ratings appeared to be similar. But with the addition of the hidden
      ratings into the formula, I just don't get it anymore.

      Could someone give a brief overview of the ratings that come into play
      when a player decides to take a shot (or the computer decides for him!).

      As I understood it, the Shot% was the percentage chance that a shot on
      net would actually have a chance of scoring. So, Saku Koivu with his
      19 would have 19% of his shots be good scoring chances and require a
      goalie save. The other 81% of the time his shots wouldn't be scoring
      opportunities. This is a simplistic view of how FACEOFF did it.

      I've always glossed over the SOG+ rating as I never really understood
      how that fit into the equation. Now with the revelation of the hidden
      ratings, I'm even more confused! 8-)

      If someone can lead me by the nose into how the shot/goal process
      works, I'd be ever so grateful. Here are Koivu and Thibault's ratings
      so that you can use a real-life example.

      Koivu: Shot% 19 SOG+ 24. SG-65 WD-9 DF-6 DP-19
      Thibault: SVPCT 0.902 SR-7 SV-44 CL-3 GL-45

      Oh, and by the way, can someone verify that I have the hidden rating
      abbreviations deciphered correctly (and tell me what DP means)?

      Skaters- SG Shot on Goal, WD Wide, DF Defender Steal DP ???
      Goalies- SR Save w/rebound, SV Save w/faceoff CL Save w/clear GL Goal

      Finally, why do the hidden ratings only add up to 99??? 8-)

      Jean Duteau
      RHL Commissioner

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/hockeydisk
    • Kraus, Jeff
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 1999
        I doubt anyone can take you through step by step on what ratings come into
        play and how. Dave's the only one with a reasonable chance of knowing
        what's involved, but even if he understands it I doubt he'd be inclined to
        make that information public. It's APBA's intellectual property.
        Explaining what the ratings mean is one thing, but explaining how they all
        fit together and what goes on under the hood is another.

        SOG+ is a "bonus" that comes into play on excellent scoring chances, the
        player's ability to convert rebounds and breakaways I think.

        I've gone about as deep as I can go into the hidden ratings. Not sure why
        they were made to add up to 99.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 6, 1999
          > I doubt anyone can take you through step by step on what ratings come
          into
          > play and how. Dave's the only one with a reasonable chance of knowing
          > what's involved, but even if he understands it I doubt he'd be
          inclined to
          > make that information public. It's APBA's intellectual property.
          > Explaining what the ratings mean is one thing, but explaining how
          they all
          > fit together and what goes on under the hood is another.

          Before I continue, I should make it clear that I no longer have any
          affiliation with FACEOFF. So I'm not out to steal any intellectual
          property or anything like that. In fact, I don't even want that
          in-depth information and can totally understand the limits that Dave
          and others would be under given that it's APBA's property.

          But I'm not asking for that. I, for one, will be very interested in
          Jeff's "essay" 8-) on what each of the ratings affects in a global
          statistical sense. I don't want Dave to tell me in detail where in the
          source code a check for a player's speed occurs. But I'd like to know
          what activities a high speed will help (and a low speed will hinder).

          In terms of the shooting process, I think a global look at how
          shots/goals work would be much appreciated. We now have 11 ratings
          that affect the shot process: the player's SHOT%, his SOG+, the
          goalie's SVPCT and the 8 hidden ratings. What does each of these mean
          to a GM or coach of a fantasy team?

          APBA and HLS2 have always suffered in my books because they had these
          different ratings but didn't have sufficient documentation of what each
          rating actually affected. If someone has done some physical research
          (like Jeff) and can tell us, or if one of the programmers (like Dave)
          can summarize this information, I really feel that it can only help the
          APBA community.

          To make this note even longer, over 8 seasons of APBA hockey, I'll give
          another example. I've come to look for high Skating and Forechecking
          forwards without regards to their speed, physical, or intimidation
          ratings. I have an idea of what kind of player this is since I have
          obvious examples (Saku Koivu, for instance). But I have *no* idea in
          terms of game mechanics what I'm doing to my team. Someone clue me in!
          8-) That's all I'm asking.

          Jean

          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/hockeydisk