[hockeydisk] Re: question about hits

  • Kraus, Jeff
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 6, 1999
      > Does winning a fight affect team performance?

      No.

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/hockeydisk
    • D. A. Atkinson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 6, 1999
        "Johns, Shane" wrote:

        Does winning a fight affect team performance?

        Not in the APBA game.

               Dave

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 6, 1999
          Regarding Brad's question on hits, which was whether jacking up the PHY
          ratings to get realistic hit totals would have adverse effects on other
          parts of the game: the answer is YES, it will affect game play.

          Increasing a player's PHY rating will cause him to throw more hits and win a
          higher percentage of corner battles, which are desirable results, but it
          will also cause a sharp decrease in opponent's SOG and slight decrease in
          pass completion %, which are not desirable effects.

          I took a team composed solely of PHY 5 players and played it against a team
          of PHY 1 players. All other ratings were "3" in the 0-5 categories, and "0"
          in the 0/1 categories. Every player's statistics were the NHL average. I
          simmed several 82-game seasons this way, with each team having 41 home
          games. The PHY 5 team had an average record of 47-23-12, meaning the PHY
          rating has a very signficant impact on winning & losing.

          The INT rating, on the other hand, had no significant impact on winning and
          losing but did have a direct impact on Hits and corners. The only other
          area INT seems to effect is misconduct penalties. It does not affect the
          outcome of a fight, and does not even determine the occurrence of a fight.

          When I have time after the disk is completed I will try to put all this
          information into some orderly fashion and post it on our web site.

          Until then, you can be "insiders" in your next draft by knowing which of the
          subjective ratings have the biggest impact on winning & losing: 1. DEF, 2.
          PAS, 3&4. SKT & PHY (about same effect), 5.FCHK.

          None of the goaltender subjective ratings (SKT, SPD, PAS) had any
          significant impact on the goaltender's overall performance or the team's
          performance. They seem to come into play only on specific play sequences.
          Maybe a poor SPD rating will cost you a game winning goal or two some time
          during the season, but if the guy also has a .920 save percentage you can
          live with that.

          eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/hockeydisk
        • Brad Utterstrom
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 11, 2004
            I've been reading through past messages here lately, so I'm gonna
            bring up some old stuff...rereading Jeff's assessment below, I find
            something very interesting that I didn't really notice before.

            When I was changing the PHY, perhaps what I should have been
            changing was the INT. My goal was to affect the # of hits without
            altering other areas of the game. It sounds as if altering the PHY
            rating was affecting other parts of the game significantly, whereas
            altering the INT would not. Yes, it would alter the corner battles,
            but it SHOULD alter corner battles. The better hitters are
            definitely the ones who are going to win more corner battles.
            Softies don't tend to do so well digging the puck out and
            outmuscling their opponents.

            All of this has become virtually obselete now anyway, since the NHL
            stopped tracking hit stats a couple seasons ago. However, I do still
            think that forwards and defensemen should be on a level playing
            field in terms of hit stats, the top 10 should not be dominated by
            forwards with high 4ck ratings.-Brad