[hockeydisk] Re: question about hits

  • Johns, Shane
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 6, 1999
      RE: [hockeydisk] Re: question about hits

      Does winning a fight affect team performance?

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 6, 1999
        > Does winning a fight affect team performance?

        No.

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/hockeydisk
      • D. A. Atkinson
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 6, 1999
          "Johns, Shane" wrote:

          Does winning a fight affect team performance?

          Not in the APBA game.

                 Dave

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 6, 1999
            Regarding Brad's question on hits, which was whether jacking up the PHY
            ratings to get realistic hit totals would have adverse effects on other
            parts of the game: the answer is YES, it will affect game play.

            Increasing a player's PHY rating will cause him to throw more hits and win a
            higher percentage of corner battles, which are desirable results, but it
            will also cause a sharp decrease in opponent's SOG and slight decrease in
            pass completion %, which are not desirable effects.

            I took a team composed solely of PHY 5 players and played it against a team
            of PHY 1 players. All other ratings were "3" in the 0-5 categories, and "0"
            in the 0/1 categories. Every player's statistics were the NHL average. I
            simmed several 82-game seasons this way, with each team having 41 home
            games. The PHY 5 team had an average record of 47-23-12, meaning the PHY
            rating has a very signficant impact on winning & losing.

            The INT rating, on the other hand, had no significant impact on winning and
            losing but did have a direct impact on Hits and corners. The only other
            area INT seems to effect is misconduct penalties. It does not affect the
            outcome of a fight, and does not even determine the occurrence of a fight.

            When I have time after the disk is completed I will try to put all this
            information into some orderly fashion and post it on our web site.

            Until then, you can be "insiders" in your next draft by knowing which of the
            subjective ratings have the biggest impact on winning & losing: 1. DEF, 2.
            PAS, 3&4. SKT & PHY (about same effect), 5.FCHK.

            None of the goaltender subjective ratings (SKT, SPD, PAS) had any
            significant impact on the goaltender's overall performance or the team's
            performance. They seem to come into play only on specific play sequences.
            Maybe a poor SPD rating will cost you a game winning goal or two some time
            during the season, but if the guy also has a .920 save percentage you can
            live with that.

            eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/hockeydisk
          • Brad Utterstrom
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 11, 2004
              I've been reading through past messages here lately, so I'm gonna
              bring up some old stuff...rereading Jeff's assessment below, I find
              something very interesting that I didn't really notice before.

              When I was changing the PHY, perhaps what I should have been
              changing was the INT. My goal was to affect the # of hits without
              altering other areas of the game. It sounds as if altering the PHY
              rating was affecting other parts of the game significantly, whereas
              altering the INT would not. Yes, it would alter the corner battles,
              but it SHOULD alter corner battles. The better hitters are
              definitely the ones who are going to win more corner battles.
              Softies don't tend to do so well digging the puck out and
              outmuscling their opponents.

              All of this has become virtually obselete now anyway, since the NHL
              stopped tracking hit stats a couple seasons ago. However, I do still
              think that forwards and defensemen should be on a level playing
              field in terms of hit stats, the top 10 should not be dominated by
              forwards with high 4ck ratings.-Brad