positions

    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 1, 2004
      We still badly need some volunteers to pull out position information
      from the Hockey News. We have 2 people that have stepped forward to
      handle the 2nd half of the season, with
      Gene Parent volunteering to do from Dec 23 on
      and
      Chris Weir volunteering to do from Dec 16 on
      It appears that neither person has issues from before those dates. Thus,
      I will probably have them split that timeframe. However, we will still
      need someone to work the beginning of the season. I don't have those
      issues either, so I couldn't do it by default. Any takers? This data is
      vital to the disk project.

      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 1, 2004
        I could do it but its going mean sacrificing some of the scouting report. I
        still have to input all the comments from 19 issues.

        Herb

        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 2, 2004
          I have the Hockey News annual preseason scouting report magazine, also the
          Slam sports forecaster (which I find superior), and another which I can't
          remember. I'm not even sure I understand what it is that you need done, but
          I'd be more than happy to help if I can.

          Joe Sutherland.

          >From: Herb Garbutt <herbgarbutt@...>
          >To: hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [hockeydisk] positions
          >Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 00:24:42 -0500
          >
          >I could do it but its going mean sacrificing some of the scouting report. I
          >still have to input all the comments from 19 issues.
          >
          >Herb
          >
          >"D. Atkinson" wrote:
          >
          > > We still badly need some volunteers to pull out position information
          > > from the Hockey News. We have 2 people that have stepped forward to
          > > handle the 2nd half of the season, with
          > > Gene Parent volunteering to do from Dec 23 on
          > > and
          > > Chris Weir volunteering to do from Dec 16 on
          > > It appears that neither person has issues from before those dates. Thus,
          > > I will probably have them split that timeframe. However, we will still
          > > need someone to work the beginning of the season. I don't have those
          > > issues either, so I couldn't do it by default. Any takers? This data is
          > > vital to the disk project.
          > >
          > > Dave
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN Premium
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 2, 2004
            You need each issue of The Hockey News. They run each team's depth chart/line combinations each week. What's needed is someone to log how many weeks each player is listed at each position.

            Herb

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 2, 2004
              I see. Sorry, can't help you there.

              Joe.

              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 6, 2004
                Hey guys,
                Looks like I've overextended myself. Don't think I'll be able to help
                out with positions. At least not right now. Maybe in a few weeks if
                they're still needed but I just have too much on my plate right now.

                Herb
              • Derrick Underwood
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 6, 2004
                  Hey guys

                  A couple of years ago, one guy Q-A'd my stats file to make sure the data
                  looked ok (he did q-a for his job and had a good methodology that caught all
                  the funny data. If you are still out there, can you let me know? My stats
                  app had to be totally re-written, and I don't have time to do the Q-A stuff
                  that is required to call it finished.

                  Derrick

                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 6, 2004
                    Herb Garbutt wrote:

                    >Hey guys,
                    >Looks like I've overextended myself. Don't think I'll be able to help
                    >out with positions. At least not right now. Maybe in a few weeks if
                    >they're still needed but I just have too much on my plate right now.
                    >
                    >Herb

                    I think we've got it covered. Gene Parent, Chris Wier, and Jimmy
                    (archangel) have stepped up to do the task. These guys deserve a round
                    of applause.

                    Dave
                  • Dave Atkinson
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 30 6:22 AM
                      I haven't found LD/RD breakouts on ANY of the online stats sites.
                      That's why we continue to use The Hockey News information.
                      If anyone knows of a stats site with reliable LD/RD breakouts, let me know.

                      E. Knauber wrote:
                      How about Hockey-Reference.com
                      I would be willing to help.
                    • Peter Dallara
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 30 7:44 AM

                        Dave, I have the Hockey News online. I can do the position ratings but I have some questions.

                        1.      The Hockey News is published every 2 weeks. With what issues do I start and end?

                        2.      If a player is rated as a C for all but one issue and a LW for one issue, does he get a C LW rating or a C only rating?

                        3.      What about injured players? Their positions seem to vary while they are injured. Does a players position count while they are injured?

                        Please let me know if you would like me to do certain teams or attempt to do the whole league which will be a massive job.

                        Pete Dallara

                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 30 7:55 AM
                        Here is what i'm doing since i'm doing my own disk for 3 leagues with big help from various persons but here is how i compiling with hockey news...
                        here is my board....

                        in my disk we use Power Play position (in red) so some forward can play defense but with 1 on defencive rating !

                        But here is my work not finish yet but going great i take every hockey news issues and when a player is marked at this position he get 1 if it's 2 times then he get a 2....the players as to play a minimum of 5 times at this position to get this position on my disk.

                        Thanks

                        Sylvain Dallaire
                        www.lhat-naha.net
                        Phoenix Coyotes & Commish (NAHA)