Re: [hockeydisk] positions

    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 20, 2004
      D. Atkinson wrote:

      >Those thinking about compiling Hockey News positions for the disk
      >project......
      >you need to have a subscription or access to the Hockey News back
      >issues. Every week they publish line combinations. One has to go
      >through, issue by issue, and tabulate the position that every player is
      >listed in each week. I prefer that this is done in a spreadsheet. Here
      >is what the output should look like:
      >
      >player
      > LW
      > RW
      > LD
      > RD
      >Deadmarsh
      > 8
      > 4
      > 13
      > 0
      > 0

      Sorry, it doesn't look like the little table I build came out correctly.
      It should be more horizontal:

      player LW C RW LD RD
      Deadmarsh 8 4 13 0 0
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 20, 2004
        D. Atkinson wrote:

        >D. Atkinson wrote:
        >

        >>Those thinking about compiling Hockey News positions for the disk
        >>project......
        >>you need to have a subscription or access to the Hockey News back
        >>issues. Every week they publish line combinations. One has to go
        >>through, issue by issue, and tabulate the position that every player is
        >>listed in each week. I prefer that this is done in a spreadsheet. Here
        >>is what the output should look like:
        >>
        >>player
        >> LW
        >> RW
        >> LD
        >> RD
        >>Deadmarsh
        >> 8
        >> 4
        >> 13
        >> 0
        >> 0
        >>

        >Sorry, it doesn't look like the little table I build came out correctly.
        >It should be more horizontal:
        >
        > player LW C RW LD RD
        >Deadmarsh 8 4 13 0 0

        It STILL doesn't look right, but if you do it in Excel, the columns will
        line up automatically
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 1, 2004
          We still badly need some volunteers to pull out position information
          from the Hockey News. We have 2 people that have stepped forward to
          handle the 2nd half of the season, with
          Gene Parent volunteering to do from Dec 23 on
          and
          Chris Weir volunteering to do from Dec 16 on
          It appears that neither person has issues from before those dates. Thus,
          I will probably have them split that timeframe. However, we will still
          need someone to work the beginning of the season. I don't have those
          issues either, so I couldn't do it by default. Any takers? This data is
          vital to the disk project.

          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 1, 2004
            I could do it but its going mean sacrificing some of the scouting report. I
            still have to input all the comments from 19 issues.

            Herb

            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 2, 2004
              I have the Hockey News annual preseason scouting report magazine, also the
              Slam sports forecaster (which I find superior), and another which I can't
              remember. I'm not even sure I understand what it is that you need done, but
              I'd be more than happy to help if I can.

              Joe Sutherland.

              >From: Herb Garbutt <herbgarbutt@...>
              >To: hockeydisk@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [hockeydisk] positions
              >Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 00:24:42 -0500
              >
              >I could do it but its going mean sacrificing some of the scouting report. I
              >still have to input all the comments from 19 issues.
              >
              >Herb
              >
              >"D. Atkinson" wrote:
              >
              > > We still badly need some volunteers to pull out position information
              > > from the Hockey News. We have 2 people that have stepped forward to
              > > handle the 2nd half of the season, with
              > > Gene Parent volunteering to do from Dec 23 on
              > > and
              > > Chris Weir volunteering to do from Dec 16 on
              > > It appears that neither person has issues from before those dates. Thus,
              > > I will probably have them split that timeframe. However, we will still
              > > need someone to work the beginning of the season. I don't have those
              > > issues either, so I couldn't do it by default. Any takers? This data is
              > > vital to the disk project.
              > >
              > > Dave
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN Premium
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 2, 2004
                You need each issue of The Hockey News. They run each team's depth chart/line combinations each week. What's needed is someone to log how many weeks each player is listed at each position.

                Herb

                     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 2, 2004
                  I see. Sorry, can't help you there.

                  Joe.

                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 6, 2004
                    Hey guys,
                    Looks like I've overextended myself. Don't think I'll be able to help
                    out with positions. At least not right now. Maybe in a few weeks if
                    they're still needed but I just have too much on my plate right now.

                    Herb
                  • Derrick Underwood
                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 6, 2004
                      Hey guys

                      A couple of years ago, one guy Q-A'd my stats file to make sure the data
                      looked ok (he did q-a for his job and had a good methodology that caught all
                      the funny data. If you are still out there, can you let me know? My stats
                      app had to be totally re-written, and I don't have time to do the Q-A stuff
                      that is required to call it finished.

                      Derrick

                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 6, 2004
                        Herb Garbutt wrote:

                        >Hey guys,
                        >Looks like I've overextended myself. Don't think I'll be able to help
                        >out with positions. At least not right now. Maybe in a few weeks if
                        >they're still needed but I just have too much on my plate right now.
                        >
                        >Herb

                        I think we've got it covered. Gene Parent, Chris Wier, and Jimmy
                        (archangel) have stepped up to do the task. These guys deserve a round
                        of applause.

                        Dave
                      • Dave Atkinson
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 30, 2012
                          I haven't found LD/RD breakouts on ANY of the online stats sites.
                          That's why we continue to use The Hockey News information.
                          If anyone knows of a stats site with reliable LD/RD breakouts, let me know.

                          E. Knauber wrote:
                          How about Hockey-Reference.com
                          I would be willing to help.
                        • Peter Dallara
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 30, 2012

                            Dave, I have the Hockey News online. I can do the position ratings but I have some questions.

                            1.      The Hockey News is published every 2 weeks. With what issues do I start and end?

                            2.      If a player is rated as a C for all but one issue and a LW for one issue, does he get a C LW rating or a C only rating?

                            3.      What about injured players? Their positions seem to vary while they are injured. Does a players position count while they are injured?

                            Please let me know if you would like me to do certain teams or attempt to do the whole league which will be a massive job.

                            Pete Dallara

                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 30, 2012
                            Here is what i'm doing since i'm doing my own disk for 3 leagues with big help from various persons but here is how i compiling with hockey news...
                            here is my board....

                            in my disk we use Power Play position (in red) so some forward can play defense but with 1 on defencive rating !

                            But here is my work not finish yet but going great i take every hockey news issues and when a player is marked at this position he get 1 if it's 2 times then he get a 2....the players as to play a minimum of 5 times at this position to get this position on my disk.

                            Thanks

                            Sylvain Dallaire
                            www.lhat-naha.net
                            Phoenix Coyotes & Commish (NAHA)