Re: [hockeydisk] question about S+ on new disk

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 13, 2004
      It was done on purpose. I don't remember the exact reason but I remember
      Dave making a point of it (specifically Mellanby) when the disk was
      released. As far as I can remember it was all in the name of better
      results. If you check back on the board around the time of the disk
      release (approx. Oct. 15) you can probably find it.

      Herb

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 13, 2004
        Brad Utterstrom wrote:

        >I've noticed a few weird S+ ratings on the disk...at first I chalked
        >it up to mistakes that went unnoticed, but now I'm not so sure.
        >Examples:
        >
        >Daymond Langkow with 20 goals has an S+ of 10 on the disk!
        >And Scott Mellanby with 26 goals has an S+ of 2.
        >
        >Then I went in to fix them, and low and behold I can't figure out if
        >Mellanby is supposed to be a 5 or 6...Looking at others with similar
        >stats it would seem he's a 6, but Anson Carter has similar stats and
        >is only a 5. This means there is yet another mistake, or else...
        >
        >the people making the disk project did this on purpose to create
        >more accurate results. Is this the case? I won't mess with it if
        >this was done purposely because Langkow was underperforming (and
        >Mellanby overperforming.)-Brad

        Your last paragraph is dead on. The S+ was tweaked to get better
        results. After a few hundred test seasons, it was obvious that some
        players were outside of their performance boundaries and thus S+ was
        tweaked to bring things in. It is a good number to tweak, as it doesn't
        have ripple effects through other aspects of the game like changing PHY
        would have. It just raises the shooting percentage some on high
        probability of scoring plays. Also note that Mellanby wasn't a fluke on
        the change....many players with RCK ratings had to have their S+
        reduced, as they were all scoring 20% higher than real in the test seasons.

        Dave
      • ox
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 13, 2004
          will lemieux make the next disk with 10 gp ?
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 13, 2004
            ox wrote:

            >will lemieux make the next disk with 10 gp ?

            Normally, the cutoff is 12 GP. But Mario is a significant player, so I
            would push to add him.

            Dave
          • Zak Davis
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 13, 2004
              Thank you in advance if Mario makes it!!

              =====
              Thanks,
              Zak

            • David Bole